eating your exercise calories back ?

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Several articles I've read over the last couple of years have suggested that, while exercise can be of great help in maintaining weight, it's not actually much use for losing weight.
    This has certainly been my experience.
    It's a factor, though a much smaller one than is diet.

Losing weight is a 3-legged stool... diet - exercise - rest.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Several articles I've read over the last couple of years have suggested that, while exercise can be of great help in maintaining weight, it's not actually much use for losing weight.
    This has certainly been my experience.

I don't think this is right. Maybe you should site where you read these articles. This goes against every basic pricipal of weight loss and good health.
  • jeshutt
    jeshutt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    More and more research in both the UK and the US is emerging to show that exercise has a negligible impact on weight loss. That tri-weekly commitment to aerobics class? Almost worthless, as far as fitting into your bikini is concerned. The Mayo Clinic, a not-for-profit medical research establishment in the US, reports that, in general, studies "have demonstrated no or modest weight loss with exercise alone" and that "an exercise regimen… is unlikely to result in short-term weight loss beyond what is achieved with dietary change."
    The Observer 19 September 2010 http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/exercise-dieting-public-health

But the past few years of obesity research show that the role of exercise in weight loss has been wildly overstated.

Time Magazine 9 August 2009
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html#ixzz1jNcaHyoh
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Wildly overstated by whom? Most people with at least a modest amount of knowledge on the subject realize that exercise is only part of the weight loss equation, and a relatively small part when compared to diet.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    >"weight loss"

Why can't any of these well funded research labs actually measure fat loss? There is a difference after all since the primary goal for most people with losing weight is body re-composition; not just being a smaller out of shape person.
  • shelley7890
    shelley7890 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My husband just doesn't understand that I eat so much. He says thats why im not lossing anymore.
    I thinking Im starting think that way also. Can anyone help me understand this please. Im starting to get tired of not lossing..

I try not to eat my cals back i just have them there as a bonus but I save a few incase I'm hungry when I'm out the gym but then I just have something light.
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories, I eat all or some depending on how I feel. How hungry I am. Sometimes that helps me have an extra glass of wine or panera bread! Have to figure out what works for you
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I recently stalled for about a month, have upped my exercise to approx an hour daily, and started eating 90% back, whereas before I was avoiding eating hardly any back.
    This week I lost 2.4lbs, more than I have in the whole month preceeding.
    I would also echo that the exercise is not just for the weight loss but to change your figure. Last week before the scales
    showed a loss, I was still measuring 2inches smaller around the waist.
    It seems that sometimes the scales do need a little time to catch up with the inch loss.
  • meliswallace
    Options
    I've been using MFP for 11 days now and have gone below my calorie intake, plus burning 1000 cal. with exercise per week.(not eating my exercise calories back) I haven't lost an ounce !!! What am I doing wrong ?
  • fatcon1
    fatcon1 Posts: 16
    Options
    check when adding yor food to your diary somtimes the calorie counts may be wrong that other people have put on .check against the labels on the food that you are eating .
  • malissagatliff
    Options
    To lose weight, energy in must be less than energy out! Always tweak nutrition when weight loss plateaus. Hopefully, you are also doing strength training as part of your fitness regimen! Wishing you more success.
  • lmarschinke
    Options
    I would also add in weight training to your routine. As a woman it is very important to do weight bearing exercises, plus it will help you burn fat at a higher rate. The HIIT (high intensity interval training) is great for cardio, but you shouldnt forget weight training as well:)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat, so last night (gasp, eating at night) I was hungry so I ate some peanuts (double gasp, fat) and I was fine scale wise. . . so when it comes to exercise calories it's good to eat some of them, or your will be hungrier later in the week, at least in my experience
  • kristatmcbride
    kristatmcbride Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, if only I had that much time to workout. I have a 2 and 6 year old and work 8am to 6pm Monday through Friday with an hour commute to and from work.

Good for you! Keep it up!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to a pound a week which gives me 1580 calories a day. Most days I try to eat around 1200-1300. If I only do a little exercise and I'm still at or over 1200 net I won't eat them back (unless I'm splurging that day and want them to cover it). If I didn't eat that much that day and exercised a lot and it brought me under 1200 net I'll eat some of them to get at or close most of the time. If I've recently had a bad day and gone over I might not but usually I do.

Part of my problem when I was eating back every single one was that I was eating them in an unhealthy way. I'd look and see I had whatever left and hit the candy or wine. Still staying within calories but not in the best way. I wasn't really losing that much and since I've made this change I've started to do a lot better with my loss.
  • natalie4grace
    Options
    For an hour bike ride you can burn like 780 calories!!! Try taking a bike ride for an hour :) When I did weight watchers a few years ago I started bike riding and the weight melted off of me :)
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone is different- I don't eat my calories back- seems to work ok for me. Good luck