Reposting this from the Exercise forum...pedometer vs. fitbi

Options
hoping to get some answers here lol.

I got a fitbit last Saturday and had previously used a pedometer on my Ipod.

I used both in my last 3 workouts and here's what I got...

workout 1: Pedometer: 167 calories burned Fitbit: 276 calories burned

workout 2: Pedometer: 154 calories burned Fitbit: 186 calories burned

workout 3: Pedometer: 139 calories burned Fitbit: 162 calories burned

I'm guessing that the fitbit is more accurate than the ipod but I'm not sure which to use. Should I average them out?
I've read that the fitbit is within 100 calories accurate but that just confuses me more.

Also I do not have a HR monitor and don't currently see that changing.

Help please!

Replies

• Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I have the fitbit and tend to trust its calculations, but the only true way is to get a HRM.

The Fitbit and pedometers are not good for tracking anything other than walking and running it is is anything other than that they will not be accurate.
  • stalksthedawn
    Options
    I either walk or do Walk Away The Pounds, since that's pretty much walking, kicking, knee lifts and side steps would that still work?
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit and HRM, I use the Fitbit to see how many steps I've taken but trust my HRM for calories burned. I LOVE both!
  • stalksthedawn
    Options
    SeattleGrl, how close are the calories on the fitbit and HRM? Do you ever compare?
  • SeattleGrl
    Options
    No, I haven't compared but I will and let you know.
  • SeattleGrl
    Options
    Ok I did a test today and I was surprised the fit bit was pretty close to the HRM, only 33 calories higher on the fit bit. I hope this helps!
  • TXPiper
    TXPiper Posts: 13
    Options
    I have the fitbit and a Polar HRM. I have found the estimated calories of the FitBit are very close for my height/weight. My fitbit also calculates just a tad under what my HRM says...which is just fine with me because I'd rather my journal of activity and calories err on the side of caution. HTH!
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! That's great to know!

edited to add...I was stalksthedawn as you may be able to tell form the profile pic.