has anyone done the couch to 5k?

Options
what did you think of it? how long did it take to see results? what if i miss a workout? does it help with toning at all? want to tone up but a lot of people say to do running and strength training too. Any info on the couch to 5k would be great :D

Replies

• skinnyfat2skinnyfit
    Options
    Ive tried a few running plans before but gave up within a couple of weeks :/
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've just downloaded the app for my i-phone and am due to start on monday. I have seen lots of good things on the site about it and I'm happy to give you feedback, or if you want to start we can motivate each other :flowerforyou:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have done it before, but pushed too hard, too fast and ended up hurting myself. I am starting week 4 day 1 on Sunday. This time around I am following it day by day and not pushing it. So far, so good. It does work if you follow it completely.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    search the groups, there is at least 1 c25k group on here, i'd post the link to it but pesky work computer doesn't copy and paste for some reason
  • skinnyfat2skinnyfit
    Options
    whats the app like? I dont have an iphone or anything to download apps onto so I would just be following the written copy that you get online.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I did it last summer and it is great. The running has definitely helped with my core muscles (tummy, back, pelvis) and thighs - I was a size 14 when I began it and now I'm a size 8-10.
    The only problem is that you may become addicted to running!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Im on week 5 and have not run in about 35 years :bigsmile: ive really found it good but remember to have rest days its very important as i learned when i first started
    theres a group on here for c25k and theres download links on there

Have fun :bigsmile:
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't done it but my brother in law has and it's completely changed his life. He stopped smoking, drinking, eating bad, took up running and now he's a completely different person. He now runs a few marathons a year. The last one I remember him participating in was the Chicago marathon where he helped to raise money for a charity of his sister's choosing, since he was running in honor of her and her health struggles.

I sometimes find myself getting the itch to start running but I know that it will be a little bit easier for me to do (and not to mention better on my knees) when I don't weigh as much. And once I've reached that point, I'm sure that I will use the c25k plan.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    whats the app like? I dont have an iphone or anything to download apps onto so I would just be following the written copy that you get online.

I downloaded the app to my phone, but then decided that I really didn't want to take my phone into the gym, so I just follow the written copy. It's easy to follow and I watch TV at the gym while I am doing it.
  • chanson104
    Options
    I completed it last fall, and I am on week 4 of doing it again at a faster pace. The phone ap is nice and handy (can down load it on ipods as well). It tells you when to walk and run so you don't have to watch the time. I think that it is a great work out in addition to a great way to start running. I did a 5K in November and loved it. I did it along with a group on MFP, and it was a great encouragement. Checking in with them held me accountable, and they gave me great support.
  • kate1168
    Options
    I'm on week 2 doing day 3 today. So far so good and I lost 2 pounds this past week. I've been doing two days in between rather than one due to my hips hurting and that seems to work for me. Also, on the days that I run right after I do sit-ups, push-ups and some triceps extensions. It only takes a few extra minutes and it's adding in some strength training. Bought new running sneakers also which is a big improvement. I've seen a lot of good results also on their facebook page - check it out, it's a good motivator. Good luck.
  • mester09
    mester09 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know of someone who started it and had running induced asthma and just a week ago she completed her first half marathon. Here's her FB link if you want to get more info https://www.facebook.com/goworkoutgirl
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Do you have a mobile phone that plays mp3 or an mp3 player? i used my phone at first until my son had his iphone so i then had his ipod :bigsmile:
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps you out a bit......

I found an application for iTouch/iPhone/iPod on iTunes and it is called Ease into 5K by bluefin software which is very good but not free, maybe around $2.99 This app has good ratings and lets you use your music playlists from your iPod in it.

I also found a podcast on iTunes called NHS Couch to 5K which is "free" and like that one too.

I am not a runner at all and haven't run since HS but everyone had been talking about it and thought I'd try the C25K app - only problem is that I hurt my foot awhile back while stepping out the door onto the door saddle and so some days it bothers me even if I'm just walking on the threadmill :frown: