the "I don't eat this very often, so having one would not hu

Options
HELP! I am new to MFP. I have about 35 lbs. to lose. My problem has been the mindset of "I don't eat this way very often so this ice cream (or whatever) won't kill me". Also, known as the "well, I can't forbid myself of all treats" mindset!
Need some motivation and would love to make some friends here to help keep me motivated. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jayb123x
    jayb123x Posts: 138
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
  • beachgirl1218
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome and friend request!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have one, get a kitchen scale - a digital one is great b/c they are accurate and you can place a bowl on top and then 'zero it out' so you're weighing only the food you place in the bowl. When you're having one of those 'I don't have it very often but I want it right now' moments, get out your kitchen scale and weigh out a PROPER portion of that ice cream (portion size should be listed in grams on the carton, so you can use your scale to accurately see how much you get for the calories listed), see what a small amount you get in a serving size for the amount of calories listed on the carton. If you still want it, eat it, log it, fit it into your day and move on. You don't have to suddenly give up everything you enjoy on this plan. But you DO have to account for it properly if you want to see results. Seeing that tiny portion for the amount of calories may be enough to have you craving it less often, b/c those calories are precious and often you can fill up better by choosing something different. :-)

Another 'trick' I like is to keep individually portioned treats in the house. For example, it's much easier to portion-control an ice cream BAR than it is a BOWL of ice cream. If you don't have a kitchen scale or don't feel like measuring/weighing things right then, you can grab a single ice cream BAR and know that you've controlled the portion to what's stated on the box. Easy way to help fit in a treat every now and then and not worry about over-doing it or not being accurate.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    ive lost 30 pounds over the past year, well 33, and i still eat ice cream every so often. You can't totally deprive yourself! Everything in moderation my friend. If you want ice cream, make it a healthy part of your eating, not an everyday over indulgence.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I eat all kinds of things, usually something that some would consider "bad" and have still lost 20lbs in 6 months. The key is moderation, and it is important that you are active. I've found the biggest help to be the support of my pals and the accountability of logging. I log EVERYTHING I eat, down to the bite, and I am 100% honest. The site is set up to work well within your normal routine if you just follow the rules.

Best of luck!!!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Also- ditto on the kitchen scale. Another need is a heart rate monitor. The more accurate you are with your logging, the more predictable your results will be.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Change "well, I can't forbid myself of all treats" mindset! " to

"I could eat this treat, but choose not to for now."

It's not always easy to do, but remind yourself that your favorite treat is always available (for the most part, there are exceptions like special once a year holiday dishes). You choose when/how you want to indulge in your favs.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have one, get a kitchen scale - a digital one is great b/c they are accurate and you can place a bowl on top and then 'zero it out' so you're weighing only the food you place in the bowl. When you're having one of those 'I don't have it very often but I want it right now' moments, get out your kitchen scale and weigh out a PROPER portion of that ice cream (portion size should be listed in grams on the carton, so you can use your scale to accurately see how much you get for the calories listed), see what a small amount you get in a serving size for the amount of calories listed on the carton. If you still want it, eat it, log it, fit it into your day and move on. You don't have to suddenly give up everything you enjoy on this plan. But you DO have to account for it properly if you want to see results. Seeing that tiny portion for the amount of calories may be enough to have you craving it less often, b/c those calories are precious and often you can fill up better by choosing something different. :-)

Another 'trick' I like is to keep individually portioned treats in the house. For example, it's much easier to portion-control an ice cream BAR than it is a BOWL of ice cream. If you don't have a kitchen scale or don't feel like measuring/weighing things right then, you can grab a single ice cream BAR and know that you've controlled the portion to what's stated on the box. Easy way to help fit in a treat every now and then and not worry about over-doing it or not being accurate.

^ This is a great reply in my opinion.
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You just have to work little treats in! The other day I knew by the time I got home I was going to want a small bowl ( I use the smallest bowls you get with dinnerware) of my favorite ice cream. It's a doozy because its a peanut butter one. So I planned a super healthy lunch (under 200 cals) and a good dinner and I got to have my ice cream and be ok :)

Also my beau and I went out for his birthday and we shared everything. And walked to the restaurant. You just have to be sensible and a little creative!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Yup. Think of your calories as currency. Then, see the amount of cals you're allowed a day. Think "Is this REALLY worth the "money?". If yes, go for it, but just remember you have that many less left for the day.

As long as you hit your macros (fat, protein, carbs) targets for the day, and create that calorie deficit, have what you like to keep you motivated! :D
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, we can deprive ourselves of the foods we want but we will fail or be miserable. I plan my menu for the day at the beginning of the day, including a snack and see how many calories I need to burn off to make sure I don't go over my daily target. In short, if I want pizza or a cookie then I am going to eat pizza or a cookie, or both. I simply have a small portion of pizza and one cookie rather than the entire jar.

Everything in moderation and portion control.

If you were to look at my diary you will see that I am not the healthiest of eaters but I am still losing weight.

Eat the ice-cream. Lol.
  • angieread
    angieread Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily the food, but the portion size of the food. I don't know about other nationalities, but we Americans are getting used to HUGE portions at restaurants, etc. When you really pay attention to what a serving size is of your favorite 'treats,' it can be a shocker. Still, once you can get a handle on portion sizes, you can have your treats and enjoy them - in moderation. I don't believe in cutting anything out of my diet completely. In fact, I HATE feeling like I'm on a 'diet.' That's a 'four-letter-word' that implies deprivation. What we're really doing is retraining our minds and bodies to eat in a balanced and moderated way. That's my two cents...
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily the food, but the portion size of the food. I don't know about other nationalities, but we Americans are getting used to HUGE portions at restaurants, etc. When you really pay attention to what a serving size is of your favorite 'treats,' it can be a shocker. Still, once you can get a handle on portion sizes, you can have your treats and enjoy them - in moderation. I don't believe in cutting anything out of my diet completely. In fact, I HATE feeling like I'm on a 'diet.' That's a 'four-letter-word' that implies deprivation. What we're really doing is retraining our minds and bodies to eat in a balanced and moderated way. That's my two cents...

Agreed. In the UK, portion sizes are getting less, but that's because we are now poor. Lol.
  • beachgirl1218
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for all of your wise input! This is an amazing site and such support on here!