Running & lower back pain

Options
Question for my runner friends (and anyone else if you have sound advice)

I'm doing the Bridge to 10K training program and, obviously, my run time has increased from 30 minutes to 40 minutes for this week.

After about the 30 minute mark, my lower back, down into my butt area, has started hurting. Not enough to make me stop, but enough to be so glad when the run is over. I finished the C25K program last week and never had this lower back pain until now.

Posture? Shoes? Something else?

Sidenote: My shoes are due for an upgrade, but new ones are in the cards soon. Thanks in advance!

ETA: It's just on my right side; my left side is fine.

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing C25K and moving to B210K!!!!

My thoughts about this is posture and the shoes.... plus the timeframe has some impact. Let your body adjust to the extra ten minutes and pay close attentiong to standing up straight. *don't look at the ground while running*
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How is your core strength?

Is your form degrading as you are running and getting tired? I find on my long runs I have to concentrate on my form a lot more as time passes as it can start to get sloppy.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    It's probably posture and shoes. I also really stretch the crap out of my back after I run. My yoga teacher taught me some stretches and I don't have any issues after.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    yup - shoes and core strength for sure. Your core is getting tired and you are mostly likely rotating your hips or something of the like.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    How is your core strength?

Is your form degrading as you are running and getting tired? I find on my long runs I have to concentrate on my form a lot more as time passes as it can start to get sloppy.

Eh, core's not where it needs to be, but it's better than it was.

I have to do deep belly breaths every few minutes to adjust my posture while I run. After doing those, though, it still didn't lessen the discomfort.

About halfway through my cooldown, the pain lessens dramatically and it's pretty much gone after I stretch.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My vote is shoes, especially if it was a sudden onset.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I echo others here. Core strengthening exercises and new shoes. Pay attention to your form, run tall, chest high.

Has anything changed recently? When I was getting used to my lift, I had lots of sore back muscles, even though I was taking it really slow and gentle. Also, I get back cramps during my period, though running usually helps with that.

Pam
  • stevemillar
    stevemillar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    that can be caused by leaning forward when you run. sometime people lean when they get tired. look out in front of you and not down at the ground. you will probably "grow" out of it as you get in better shape and your core strength increases.