Almost 3 Weeks in, no weight lost :(

Options
Hi,
I've been using MFP for almost 3 weeks, been keeping to my 1,400 calories per day with plenty of fruit/veg and healthy home cooked meals. I'm on my feet all day due to my job and have been going to the gym once a week (which this week was a 50 mins spinning class). I still haven't lost 1lb! I wasn't expecting a lot of weight loss, but at least 3-4 lbs by now.
Has anyone else had this problem? I'd imagine it's because I need to do far more exercise 3-4 times a week but I thought with my lower calorie intake, something would have happened by now.

Any advice, comments appreciated!!!

Shelley :)

Replies

• dino_girl
    dino_girl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi ShellSwaine, have you ever had your TSH or Thyroid tested?
    Maybe you might have to also up your calories, maybe 1400 is too ow for you right now.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just from my experience I think maybe that a small amount of exercise on more days is better than just one time a week. I really just made sure that I hiked with the dog for a half an hour each day and as long as I stuck to my calories I had a good steady weight loss.
  • sco8462
    sco8462 Posts: 34
    Options
    Don't forget your water and vitamins. The days I don't drink enough water, I know it. Also, counting calories is great, but I know people who only count food calories and forget they are adding salt, oil, butter, and sugar to everything. Maybe it's something you aren't thinking about just because you are used to it, habit wise. Trying looking at everything that goes in your mouth. Maybe the answer is there.
  • mbarbsturdivant
    mbarbsturdivant Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try lowering your food intake. 1400 may be too high. Im at 1200 cal a day and I've been doing this a week and lost 3 pounds already :smile:
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    What kind of fruits do you eat? many fruits are high in natural sugar and should be eaten in moderation :smile:
  • deethinner
    deethinner Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    yes i am in the same boat. I did lose 3lbs. the first week got so excited then gained it back. I work out every day for at least an hour and stay in my calorie range but nothing.
    I on the other hand don't have a thryoid so I am sure that makes it harder for me to lose even though it made it easier for me to gain. I have watched my sodium intake everything so I am always looking for clues on what to do different.
    Hang in there just like all of us.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories a day and exercise almost every day. I've only lost 1 pound since I started doing this in October.

It takes time!
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    Well I have been watching my calories for about 2 months now and have only lost 4 lbs HOWEVER bc i keep track of my inches too I know that I have lost at least 8 inches. My suggestion: ((along with what others have said above)) would be to start checking your inches too... you never know what victories you could have in the inch dept that you wouldnt notice on the scale <3

Hope this helps you some
  • lindabarnett25
    Options
    hi, i dont know if this will help you or not, but you may need to go to the doctor. i work for an endrocronologoist and your thyroid or hormone levels may affect your weight loss. i recently had blood work done and i found out that i have really high testodrone levels. my doctor put me on metformin 500mg. twice a day and it seems to be helping me alot with my weight loss. just a thought..good luck and dont give up trying!
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    yes i am in the same boat. I did lose 3lbs. the first week got so excited then gained it back. I work out every day for at least an hour and stay in my calorie range but nothing.
    I on the other hand don't have a thryoid so I am sure that makes it harder for me to lose even though it made it easier for me to gain. I have watched my sodium intake everything so I am always looking for clues on what to do different.
    Hang in there just like all of us.

This is true. The thyroid produces hormones that helps to regulate metabolism. Without a thyroid, or a low functioning thyroid, your metabolism will be slower. Continue with exercise and diet and your metabolism can increase.

To the OP: Be sure your settings are correct. If you're in a fairly active job, make sure your settings reflect that. You might need to eat about 1,400 to get a jump start to provide enough calories for the scale to budge.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    hi, i dont know if this will help you or not, but you may need to go to the doctor. i work for an endrocronologoist and your thyroid or hormone levels may affect your weight loss. i recently had blood work done and i found out that i have really high testodrone levels. my doctor put me on metformin 500mg. twice a day and it seems to be helping me alot with my weight loss. just a thought..good luck and dont give up trying!

Sounds like PCOS.
  • anic31385
    Options
    Shell...... From my experience if i don't workout i don't loose weight so maybe hit the gym or throw an extra cardio workout 2-3 more times a week be sure you are eating all good calories and not alot of processed food and sugar it all turns to fat. Also be sure to drink mostly water if you can. Good Luck and dont give up it takes time and dedication to see results :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How many calories were you eating before starting the 1,400? If you were eating less, then it may take awhile for your body to adjust and start losing.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, but was fine with it because I lost inches instead. Everybody is different. Just keep working at it, and you'll start to see change; just take your measurements.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary I really can't give you any advice. If you eat a lot of prepackaged stuff that can make you hold on to water weight. Open your diary and you will get more accurate advice.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It could be your thyroid. Mine was out of wack, I wasn't on the right dosage and gained the 35lbs. I am now trying to loose. So if you are running slow metabolically you will have a terrible time getting the weight off no matter what you do. It might be smart- as the others have suggested, to get you thyroid levels checked. It's a simple blood test.

Also, I don't know where you are in your monthly cycle, but, I know I don't loose any weight the 10 days prior. I just have to be patient and wait it out untill a few days after it (TOM) gets going. I usually loose a lot of weight. and kind of hold around that weight, until it happens again the next month. Then I see another drop. We women fluxuate so much in water weight especially when we hit our 30's and 40s per cycle. Such fun- these womanly thinngs! But, anyway it's something to keep in mind...Hang in there!
  • GetSetGo73
    GetSetGo73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories or at least half of them? It's important that you do one or the other :)
  • ShellSwaine
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments - some very good points made.

I cook all our meals from scratch, rarely add salt, butter or oil - I use fry light instead. I use pepper and spices to flavour our food instead. I cook with Quorn mince instead and definitely prefer this to minced beef. I rarely drink any sugary drinks, only keeping to tea (with skimmed milk), peppermint tea and water. I sometimes use Ribena in water (but have no added sugar version). I use our slow cooker for quite a few meals and keep to lean meats. I hate ready meals/processed foods so never touch them!

I think my main issue is exercise, going to the gym 1-2 times a week clearly isn't working. More walking is needed in the evenings!!!! I'm desperate to get a dog but as we both work full-time it would be unfair to shut it in the house all the time.

I'll keep going and see how things go.....my mum's had thyroid issues for years so that may be worth looking into. I do however have a contraceptive implant in my arm and that may be affecting my (lack of) weight loss.

Thanks everyone! :)
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me.. I think it really happens to most everyone. We expect great big losses like in the Biggest Loser, but the reality is, we aren't going through what they are. I'm finding that as long as I eat the recommended calories, burn the recommended calories, drink a lot of water and watch my salt, I'm doing well. I'm only 4 weeks into this and the scale actually went up for an entire week, but then it dropped the next. What they say is true, lose the scale, trust the tape measure.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Be careful about cutting calories any more especially if you are busy because your body may go into starvation mode and hold on to everything it gets!

goos luck and stick with it

have you measured yourself any other way? weight loss is not just the scales
    also think about things that will help reduce bloating and water retention? celery is good diuretc, also look at food that help with liver and kidney function to help flush out your body.
    here's hoping you get results soon!