Love handles (side and back)

Options
I know that I cant lose weight in specific areas, but is there any way to tone love handles (on the side and back)? Or is it a bad idea to workout that area? Even when I was 110 pounds I had them and its annoying because I have a hard time fitting into pants and skirts. Please help they are so annoying!

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    No, there is no way to reduce them outside of losing more body fat. It sucks, but genetics are to blame for predisposition of fat deposits. Just have to continue to reduce overall body fat and they'll get smaller. For many mean, lovehandles and lower back fat exists until they get around 10% body fat. Women have it much easier to reduce as they can usually get rid of around the 20% range.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Don't be one of those women doing weighted side bends in the mirror, that will make you thicker in the middle like a trunk.
  • jeni636363
    Options
    ok That is what i wanted to know! Thanks!
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but to give alternative opinion on this subject, with feet slightly apart, try holding a weight in each hand and bending sideways until the weight is level with the knee, straighten up and repeat on the other side.
    Also, again with feet slightly apart, place a barbell with weights on each end (not to heavy) and place on the shoulders. Rotate, as if looking behind you, to the left (be careful not to overdo the rotation) and back to the middle and repeat to the right.

I find that these two exercises help to reduce the handles.
  • jeni636363
    Options
    Jferg69: Thank you for your suggestion. I do know of those exercises, but I wasn't sure if working out my handles would tone them down or make them muscular and therefore bulkier. Has that worked for you??
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have huge muffin tops, but one thing I have noticed, is that they are totally uneven, because through work one side of me gets a better work out than the other (do a lot of kennel scrubbing with brooms). Definitely my right side has much less "bump" to it than my left, sadly I can't function as well left-handed so I can't alternate to give the other side the workout!
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Jferg69: Thank you for your suggestion. I do know of those exercises, but I wasn't sure if working out my handles would tone them down or make them muscular and therefore bulkier. Has that worked for you??

It has, the sides and back are more slender than they used to be.

I don't know if this works for everyone, but it does work for me, good luck