Looking for ideas for working out at home

Options
I'm just starting out and have a lot to lose. I am a stay at home mom and a gym is not an option. With that said, I walk everyday and need to start doing some strength excersises. I do use Milk jugs for weights but what other ideas do you all have?

Thanks

Replies

• pgpeacock
    Options
    Do map work you can do push ups start out small and work your way up it works you whole body .... you can also go buy a dvd to workout at home with i have a gillian dvd ( from the biggest loser) i think it was like 5 bucks at wal-mart !! :) good luck
  • Mommaof3Boys2011
    Options
    do you have an android phone? I added the workout app its called workout trainer http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/health_and_fitness/workout-trainer_bcusj.html a lot of their workouts are free and it counts you down. you can also listen to your own music while you work out i love it
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Go to youtube and type in "body rock tv". I use that one! Also search for other workout videos on there.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hula hoop to your fav TV program. During the commercials, run or walk in place. Thanks how I started. I now run & do Insanity.
  • Mommaof3Boys2011
    Options
    water bottles filled with sand, my cousin uses canned goods, me personally i lift my kids then again they are under 45lbs
  • shalwilson34
    shalwilson34 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am stuck at home due to motorcycle accident and foot in cast right now. So, I have been able to get very creative with therapy bands. You can buy them almost anywhere. They are cheap, don't take up any room and they come with several different resistance. And they travel great as well! If you've been at a gym before, it might be easier to come up with ways to do things, but I use them like I would using free weights and can do just about everything with them. I also use the stairs for step ups and tricep dips. Step ups and be done using a chair depending on what kind of shape you are in. There's always push-ups (on floor or using the wall), crunches, and squats/lunges.

I bet you an google exercises using therapy bands or they probably come with exercises within the pack you buy. Good luck!
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options
    Body weight exercises. I have been doing these.
    Squats, lunges, push-ups. Pilates will help you tone up as well if you have Netflix or can get some DVD's.
  • boys4rmine
    Options
    kettlebell!
    You only need one (I use a 12KG, started with an 8KG) and there is a great workout that takes 20 minutes online.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/kettlebell-workout

I change it up a bit as I do the swing (#6) at the end 75 reps in a row. It is an amazing cardio and weight in one!
  • Naniflora
    Options
    The weather here is always changing. I couldn't depend on being able to walk the neighborhood on a daily basis so.... I went to Academy Sports and bought an Urban Rebounder. They have them for around 50$. You can watch for the sales also. I had already downloaded some super music to workout to for my mp3 player so now when it's raining or whatever, I just put it on and work out for around 30-40 minutes. You can work out a regular dance routine instead of just bouncing. I use weights for my arms and a lot of simulated boxing. Give it a try.
  • 2beautifulgirls
    2beautifulgirls Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BodyRock.tv is a great way to working out at home. I plan to start bodyrocking myself soon.
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred today - it put me through my paces all right and I am only on the first workout segment! :)
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. You ALL have given me some great ideas. I'm really trying to be well rounded in this effort.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Haha, I love the hula hoop option. I don't think I've done that in about 20 years.
  • pgpeacock
    Options
    I just started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred today - it put me through my paces all right and I am only on the first workout segment! :)
    lol she kicks *kitten* !!
  • shawn46106
    shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The kids have a Wii, and I bought the NFL Training Camp game. Burn 700 calories in an hour with a cardio work out i put together. It has core, strength, cardio, etc for exercises. It comes with a green rubber band as well. Works for me.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Zumba2 for Wii! It's so fun! Just close the blinds and have at it. haha
  • Tobybears
    Options
    Wow that Body Rock looks tough. Do they have anything for beginners? There is also ExerciseTV and Spark people have exercises on their site too.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock TV has some good videos!

http://tinyurl.com/7r3e7bd this site has a couple good beginner DVD suggestions.
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Wii? Great exercise games! I use Gold's Gym Dance Workout and it was only $17.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wow that Body Rock looks tough. Do they have anything for beginners? There is also ExerciseTV and Spark people have exercises on their site too.

Bodyrock goes through modifications for all the exercises. They are thinking of doing beginner, intermediate and advanced workouts.

I do bodyrock and really enjoy it. I had never felt so strong in my life.