Do kids need grains/starches?

Options
I know there's nothing wrong with grains/carbs unless you have a metabolic disorder (I do). I started a low carb diet in December per my doc, loved the way I felt and the fact that I was eating almost 100% whole, clean foods, and decided that our family was going to start eating clean January 1st. My kids eat plenty of lean meat, raw veggies, almonds, yogurt and fruit. I haven't been making or buying grains or starches because of my diet (my husband likes the way I've been cooking and hasn't requested I add a starchy side for him), and I've realized the kids really haven't had any starches this week, although not deliberately. I am certainly not trying to restrict their carbs and they get plenty from yogurt and fruit, do I really NEED to add rice/potato/bread/pasta to their plates if they are eating lots of clean, whole foods?

Replies

• misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    interested i the responses to this quesstion
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I think things like rice and quinoa, maybe some wheat bread here and there would be good... But really I wouldn't worry it a ton... do they eat school lunches?
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    In my opinion no. They don't need grains and can get starches from things like potatoes, bananas and other fruits/veggies.

As to "I know there's nothing wrong with grains/carbs unless you have a metabolic disorder " I'd recommend you read this:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/#axzz1jSo0z5iV

good luck!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I am in a similar position. Interested to see what people say.

I've been doing a little reading, and I don't feel the starches you mentioned are necessary, but I'm hoping someone with more education can enlighten us!!
  • branflake5
    Options
    bump
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Are they feeling any less energetic or sleeping more?

There are many people who follow a grain free and no/low starch diet as do their children. Try looking at nomnompaleo.com, I know her whole family including children follow the paleo diet which follows no grains and no or low starches. Also, you might try googling "children and the paleo diet". I think there's a few articles out there about it. Another good site is paleoparents.com. Hope this helps!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options

There are many people who follow a grain free and no/low starch diet as do their children. Try looking at nomnompaleo.com, I know her whole family including children follow the paleo diet which follows no grains and no or low starches. Also, you might try googling "children and the paleo diet". I think there's a few articles out there about it. Another good site is paleoparents.com. Hope this helps!

This too!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    They don't need it.

Starchy vegetables never hurt. Things like Yams, Potatoes, ect are gluten free, and definitely healthy for you.

Though the carbs they're getting from fruit should be more than enough. :D
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,999 Member
    Options
    As long as their getting enough calories. Generally when people leave out carbs/starches it leaves a big calorie hole to fill, and the reason people miraculously lose weight on a low carb diet. lol
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    As long as their getting enough calories. Generally when people leave out carbs/starches it leaves a big calorie hole to fill, and the reason people miraculously lose weight on a low carb diet. lol

Good call!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    They don't need it.

Starchy vegetables never hurt. Things like Yams, Potatoes, ect are gluten free, and definitely healthy for you.

Though the carbs they're getting from fruit should be more than enough. :D

Agreed, I incorporate yams or sweet potatoes (still not sure I've figured out the real difference between the two, haha) rather than white or yellow potatoes as they are more nutrient dense than the others so its not just starch/carbs, it's other goodies too!
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    It really shouldn't be a problem, assuming that they're getting enough calories and carbs from fruits/veggies etc, since the brain needs glucose to function.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Agreed, I incorporate yams or sweet potatoes (still not sure I've figured out the real difference between the two, haha).

Most don't. This country uses the terms interchangeably. Maybe this will help: http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sweetpotatodiff.htm
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Not at all, lol. They are three and four and both balls of energy ;)
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I like to think that eating servings of TRUELY WHOLE GRAINS (i.e. hulled barley, steel cut oats, brown rice, quinoa and rye) are an essential part of any ones diet. They consist of insoluable fibre and other minerals and nutrients that the body needs for proper digestive health. It keeps the intestines creating the "good" bacteria which will prevent the overgrowth of "bad" bacteria as well as keeping the colon clean which will translate into a much lower risk of cancer later in life, as well as lower cholesterol, increased cardiovascular health and more energy from a clean body. :) i suggest that unprocessed whole grains that contain a good amount of soluable and insoluable fiber be consumed several times per week. It's good that you and your family are not eating things like white starches, potatoes and fluffy breads. Those are empty, from a nutritional stand point. Look up some recipes for the things I mentioned, especially barley (not the pearled kind, but hulled) as it is a versatile "cereal" grain, and cooks up like a slightly chewy pasta with a mild flavor. I applaud you making the changes for a healthy eating routine and lifestyle with the whole family. What your children learn from you will carry them through into adult hood and hopefully help them when the time comes to have their own families. Best wishes!
  • just_a_southern_belle
    Options
    In my opinion no. They don't need grains and can get starches from things like potatoes, bananas and other fruits/veggies.

As to "I know there's nothing wrong with grains/carbs unless you have a metabolic disorder " I'd recommend you read this:

good luck!

Thank you thank you!!!!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Carbs in and of themselves are VERY important to children as they are a LOT more active than adults and need them for fuel. But so long as they are getting carbs from other sources and are getting fiber, B vitamins and iron-3 common nutrients that kids NEED-from other sources like red meat, spinach, fruit, etc, I see no reason to not limit or avoid starches. Lets face it, most starches average American kids eat are potato chips, sugary cereals and other high calorie, low nutritional value junk.
    I'm actively trying to limit what my girls eat--if I'm only wanting whole, GOOD food to enter my body, I should do them the same favor earlier in life-then they'll know how to eat the rest of their lives. Now to finish up the stash of freezer waffles and cereal(none of it is like Trix or anything, so I'm not TOO concerned about it, but I know we can do better).
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options

good luck!

Thank you thank you!!!!

It's what I do. :D