Potatoes

Options
jo2907
jo2907 Posts: 69 Member
question for you all... Why is it that in the food database, a jacket potato is more calories than boiled potato?? Other than the skin which i dont eat anyway i can't see any difference between them so can't understand why the calories are different, can anyone enlighten me? Thanks,x

Replies

• MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    jacket potato?? sorry what is it?
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It could be that that's been entered as a recipe, with butter or other toppings added to it, rather than just a plain baked potato. I usually just input the raw form of ingredients for this reason. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    No idea. You have to watch stuff like that because there are restaurants that serve things with names like that and it may be loaded with butter or cheese or whatever. If I eat a potato I usually just log it as a raw potato and separately add anything that I might have put on it!
  • grace1611
    Options
    Is it something to do with water . The boiled potato having more than the baked.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    As a side note, the skin is probably the best part for you and it contains most of the fiber.
  • jo2907
    Options
    quote]
    jacket potato?? sorry what is it?
    [/quote]

A potato baked in it's skin :smile:
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Go to the USDA nutritional database for real calorie information:)
  • jo2907
    Options
    the jacket potato i used was british jacket potato, 337g ( 337cals? )

the boiled potato, Tesco british potato boiled without skin 337g ( 267 cals)

Does it lose calories being boiled in water rather than being baked in its own skin?
  • jo2907
    Options

would this be relevant for UK foods too?
  • grace1611
    Options
    A 300 grs of boiled potato has a higher water content than a 300grs of baked potato thats why it has higher cal content.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Cooking method does effect calorie content. Sweet potatoes are a good alternative too. Now to go eat my own words.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

would this be relevant for UK foods too?

A potato is a potato.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Potatoes "baked in their jackets" just means they were oiled and baked with the skin on. It's in "The Joy of Cooking" where they explain you don't have to go buy potato jackets anywhere hehe.

And baking them that way is a pretty light way to cook them, that's how I do it. All you do after washing/scrubbing them, rub them with a light oil (like safflower or canola or EVOO) You don't have to prick them. Then bake them on an unsprayed baking sheet in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40 to 60 minutes.

This works with all potatoes although the smaller they are the quicker they cook. Works with sweet potatoes and squash too. I somewhat limit my potato intake but I enjoy them in moderation on occasion especially when I can get fresh local ones.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    Potatoes "baked in their jackets" just means they were oiled and baked with the skin on. It's in "The Joy of Cooking" where they explain you don't have to go buy potato jackets anywhere hehe.

And baking them that way is a pretty light way to cook them, that's how I do it. All you do after washing/scrubbing them, rub them with a light oil (like safflower or canola or EVOO) You don't have to prick them. Then bake them on an unsprayed baking sheet in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40 to 60 minutes.

This works with all potatoes although the smaller they are the quicker they cook. Works with sweet potatoes and squash too. I somewhat limit my potato intake but I enjoy them in moderation on occasion especially when I can get fresh local ones.

This is interesting. I've never heard of oiling the skins. I just scrub mine, poke holes in them, and either throw them in the oven or wrap them in foil and toss on the grill.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    the jacket potato i used was british jacket potato, 337g ( 337cals? )

the boiled potato, Tesco british potato boiled without skin 337g ( 267 cals)

Does it lose calories being boiled in water rather than being baked in its own skin?

anything boiled also loses alot of vitamins,fiber ect .. i quit boiling food
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    A 300 grs of boiled potato has a higher water content than a 300grs of baked potato thats why it has higher cal content.

As far as I know water has no calories, therefore this statement is incorrect! It definitely has to do with the fact that you have no idea who entered the info for the jacket potato and what they may have put in it.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

As far as I know water has no calories, therefore this statement is incorrect! It definitely has to do with the fact that you have no idea who entered the info for the jacket potato and what they may have put in it.

I have to say I wasn't even quite sure how to address the above comment. You did it nicely.
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options

This is interesting. I've never heard of oiling the skins. I just scrub mine, poke holes in them, and either throw them in the oven or wrap them in foil and toss on the grill.
    Cool ishallnotwant, try it my way one time and see if you don't like it. I often use the smaller yellow potatoes, not the big brown ones for this (although all kinds work..) Or I use the local little yellow and blue ones that are so yummy.

Also, done my way, you can prick them halfway done to let out the steam, but I never bother. Just break them open with butter and/or olive oil and spices when they're done yum!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    as far as the comments about water not adding calories, that is of course correct, but by cooked weight, boiled potatoes weighing the same as a baked potato have less potato per weight and more water ,thus the lower cal count.

to the OP, search the "baked potato" data base to get the more accurate cals, since apparently jacket potato implies oiling, etc.
    PS- try eating the skin, nutritionally its fantastic, and i enjoy it!
  • NicoWoodruff
    Options
    PS- try eating the skin, nutritionally its fantastic, and i enjoy it!
    Yep and the skin tastes particularly good when they've been "baked in their jackets" imho.