I'm the pickiest eater ever....

Options
I really am. I don't eat any veggies. but junk food - you name it, I eat it. I've been living off junk food my whole life - i'm honestly surprised that i'm only 205lbs at 5'10''. I should be morbidly obese. In one year i'll be able to move out of this house, and that is when i'm deciding to try more foods like salads, soups and meat and REAL FOOD.
Anyways, I can't change it until then, and there's no changing that ): Sorry. I know I should, but really - I can't.

OK. So I pretty much eat bananas/apples/grapes and other fruit, fiber bars, low calorie granola bars, and special K cereal. And of course I toast whole grain bread sometimes and put peanut butter on it.

It's bad I know, but of the food I named that I eat, what is considered "clean" eating, besides the fruit? And any suggestions of granola bars? I kind of want to get Nature valley instead of Quakers. They just seem ...healthier... ? Suggestions like that are greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

Replies

• sarahbaldwinrose
    Options
    Just do as you say and "pick out" the foods you like and don't like . Then, find a way to make the foods you need taste better without too many added calories.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't want to be mean but you need to be a big girl and start eating better. We would all like to live on junk food but real food is a have too. I know I would rather have pizza then grilled salmon and spinach but I know I have too. Good luck either way. Oh and if you eating processed granola bars you may as well just eat a candy bar.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Make the granola stuff yourself!
    http://www.anotherlunch.com/2010/05/recipe-chocolate-chip-granola-bites.html
    Of the stuff listed, the fruit is the ONLY clean eating you are doing. Everything else listed is processed.
    I know you say you getting out of "this house" is what will change, but why? Where you live has NOTHING to do with what you put in your mouth unless maybe you are in prison. Please explain WHY these are the only foods you can eat and perhaps we can help you find other, more nutritious things to try that fit the bill you are looking for. Like is there no fridge or freezer? We can work around this. Just give us guidelines so we can help you:-)
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    I would suggest Fiber One chocolate and oat bars-they're high in fiber which is good for your GI tract and the fiber also helps slow your glycemic response so your blood sugar won't go up and down as quickly as with some "junk" or high sugar brands...the Nature Valley trail mix ones are pretty good...also kellog's Fiber Plus is a good granola bar.

Try lowfat cheese as a protein source...tuna is good and lowfat too. I have gotten in the habit of buying the boneless skinless chicken fingers (approx 4 oz each) and grilling them-they go good on salads and in wraps and things for a high protein snack.

I am a major foodie-and kinda the opposite of you. Least picky person I know.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Yo.... just wait til your metabolism starts to slow down.... you're gonna get fat as *kitten*! Best to start those healthy eating habits now. Eat a damn salad with some grilled chicken! Stay away from the processed crap.... like granola bars.

do you talk to your wife daughter or mother with that mouth... you sound like somehting out of jersey shore *shudders*
  • MSepp
    Options
    A lot of foods are an acquired taste. My parents raised us trying ANYTHING they put in front of us. Learning to like more foods will make you a more well-rounded person...what if your date takes you to a sushi restaurant or something? Just saying-lots of good food out there if you're willing to give it a try.
  • MSepp
    Options
    Hahahahaha
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you, and unlike some others here I don't think it's about being the 'big girl' and eating better by going for the foods you don't want.

You can't force yourself to like certain things, it has to be a gradual thing.

I still eat those foods others might have wiped from their diet, but I work on the 'choices' approach. I can have a normal, high-calorie pizza or I can go for the Pizza Express Gustosa for under 500 calories. I can eat a salad which will leave me feeling dissatisfied until I crack and over-indulge, or I can go for something that's a healthier option but that I'll be happy with, making my lifestyle a sustainable one.

I work to sustainability. I'll never force myself to eat things I don't want, because the end result is that I'll give up. Instead, I go for the best 'choice' in any given situation, and I try to improve my variety gradually trying new things when I feel it's 'safe' to do so.

Many on here would look at my food diary in shock, but it works for me.
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Kashi Dark Chocolate and Coconut chewy granola bar 120 cals

Kashi Go Lean Berry Crumble cereal (mixed with) Kashi Good Friends cereal (1/2 cup each)

Remember that fruits do have a lot of sugar... try to get some good protein in your diet.

You will do what you want but, speaking from experience, you will regret it if you don't rethink the way you eat and the way you think about food. Educate yourself then decide.

Once you hit a certain age your body stops helping you fight off the fast food effect and you are left on your own and getting bigger faster and feeling worse faster and the longer that goes on, the harder it is to diet and work out because you don't feel good.
    Good luck girl : ) it took me like a year to rethink and restructure my diet and I already knew what I was supposed to be doing...
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yo.... just wait til your metabolism starts to slow down.... you're gonna get fat as *kitten*! Best to start those healthy eating habits now. Eat a damn salad with some grilled chicken! Stay away from the processed crap.... like granola bars.

Are you eating salad ? hmmm jk
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Is there a place where you live where you could take a cooking class or something? It will be cheaper for you to try new things if you can cook it yourself, so try learning the basics. Also: bulk bins are your friend. If you've got a Whole Foods or something around you, the cheapest place there is usually the bulk bins, and you can get good granolas already made, oats and other grains, lentils, beans, etc. Sometimes you can even get spices in the bulk bins.

As for healthy things for picky eaters - try adding one new good food every week or so to see how you like it, like switching out french fries for baked sweet potato fries. Just cut them into french fry shapes, toss in olive oil and salt and pepper, and baked in a 375 oven for about 30-45 min (depending on how thick you cut the fries - I like them thick). You can eat them plain, or I like to dip them in the Bolthouse yogurt ranch dressing.

Try switching out hamburgers made with 80/20 chuck for turkey burgers - put them on whole wheat buns and don't use mayo.

If you want to eat pizza, get a personal sized Amy's pizza or something where the crust is whole wheat and you're limited to portion size.

For chicken nuggets, try buying grilled chicken strips that are already cut and cooked and frozen. You can thaw them and throw them on a salad, or eat them with something like sweet potato fries.

For chocolate cravings, buy a really dark high percentage cocoa chocolate (like 70% or higher). Your chocolate cravings will go away after a lot less chocolate with this stuff than milk chocolate.

You can eat crap food every once in a while as long as you budget it into your calories. Like there's no way I'm giving up shrimp and grits. Ever. I only do them every once in a while, but I plan for it ahead of time and make the real deal with cheese and butter, and it's super satisfying.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm a very picker eater. I really am. I like what I like and really? Don't try and convince me, sweet talk me or belittle me into eating something I don't want. I don't care if it is good for me - if I don't like it, I don't like it. I'm an adult and this is my body, so I'll put into it what I choose to put into it.

I know people will say to stay away from all processed stuff, but let's be realistic -- most people don't eat that way 100% of the time.

I've learned to eat better, eat smaller portions and workout. I've lost the weight and am below my original goal weight (and have been there for over a year now). I've had blood work and multiple tests done and you know what? I'm healthy. Is my eating perfect? Nope. Will it ever be? Nope. I do what works for me and my body and honestly? I don't care what others think of how I eat.
  • branflake5
    Options
    Are you unable to change your diet because your parents do the shopping?? Maybe you could talk with them about buying somethings that would be better for you. And I know you're just a teenager but are you able to get a job? Maybe you could work part time to buy yourself the foods you want and need. Good luck hun.
  • MSepp
    Options
    Kashi Dark Chocolate and Coconut chewy granola bar 120 cals

Kashi Go Lean Berry Crumble cereal (mixed with) Kashi Good Friends cereal (1/2 cup each)

Remember that fruits do have a lot of sugar... try to get some good protein in your diet.

You will do what you want but, speaking from experience, you will regret it if you don't rethink the way you eat and the way you think about food. Educate yourself then decide.

Once you hit a certain age your body stops helping you fight off the fast food effect and you are left on your own and getting bigger faster and feeling worse faster and the longer that goes on, the harder it is to diet and work out because you don't feel good.
    Good luck girl : ) it took me like a year to rethink and restructure my diet and I already knew what I was supposed to be doing...

I think it's once you hit 25...it sucks. All the dieting and working out just helps you maintain your current weight. Have to kick it into overdrive to see any weight loss at all.
  • SB1166
    SB1166 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No one's as picky as my son. He is 11 and skinny but not healthy. What child do you know that doesn't eat any dips or condiments. He has never liked ketchup. I had to convince him once to dip an apple wedge into caramel. He has finally recently started to get braver with trying new things. He won't eat cooked carrots but, he likes them raw.

Just try new things and if in the case of vegetables if you don't like it cooked, try it raw (or vice versa). Start with little substitutions like instead of potato chips, eat pretzels, Instead of soda pop try carbonated flavored water or orange juice. You can get yourself into healthier foods if you do it slowly by substituting something bad for you to something meh... okay but not good and then eventually to something good and healthy.

If you've been eating unhealthy for all your life then you will not likely be successful if you try to make a drastic change. But, gradual changes can become lifetime changes.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you, and unlike some others here I don't think it's about being the 'big girl' and eating better by going for the foods you don't want.

You can't force yourself to like certain things, it has to be a gradual thing.
    You can't force yourself to like certain things, but you can suck it up and eat them anyway.

The great news is that if you eat something new a number of times, you will come to enjoy it and look forward to eating it. This is believed to be an evolutionary mechanism which developed to encourage the eating of new foods which had not made you ill after eating them a few times.

I dislike a lot of the junk food you eat, you weren't born liking that stuff, you like those things because you eat them.

Go on, try some grilled salmon, with some sautéed potatoes and a large mixed salad - I guarantee that after a few times you'll think it's a fabulous meal. :smile:
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Are you eating salad ? hmmm jk

Hell no!!! I eat 2 double bacon cheeseburgers with a diet coke for every meal!!!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Do you like to read? I think education is a huge factor in what we will or won't try. Pick up a Michael Pollan book -- The Omnivore's Dilemma, or In Defense of Food -- and you will learn WHY it's imperative that you make smart food choices.

My husband used to be a lot like you, don't worry, you can train yourself to like good things! Fruits are an awesome choice. And while they are a processed food, I like the Pumpkin Flax flavored Kashi granola bars -- lots of protein. Those are a good place to start. Also? I'd recommend learning how to grill. ANYTHING on a grill and on a skewer tastes like a treat to me!!

Grilled chicken, fish, steak. I put Italian dressing on vegetables and grill them and even my kids eat them up. Also, grilled fruit-ka-bobs. Pears, pineapples, and melon are great this way -- the heat carmelizes the fruits on the sugar -- ooey gooey goodness. And soooo easy to make.

You may also want to look up healthy kid-friendly recipes?? These are normally geared towards pickier palletes.

Good luck!! Save your post and read it a year from now. You will be SHOCKED at how much you will have learned!!
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I used to be you, eating wise, although I'm much shorter, older and was quite a bit heavier. My weird pickiness has been aggravated by dealing with way too many food allergies as well.

I do eat some veggies now, of course. What I have done over the years that worked is 1) pick out one veggie you think you don't like and try it. Try it prepared several ways. I learned to like carrots, for example, over time and now I love love love them. Also, 2) cook foods that have veggies in the ingredients but also other things you know you like in the recipe as well. For example, I regularly make a very healthy jambalaya and have got in the habit over the years of including more and more veggies with the chicken breasts and low fat turkey sausage. The veggies in there include celery, onions, bell pepper, and carrots. The original recipe calls for 4 cups total. These days I make it with 14 cups of chopped veggies but use the same amount of meat I always did.

FYI, due to an allergy, I never eat salad. Weight can still come off without eating salad. You just have to not eat so many calories in total. Neither, due to another allergy, do I drink diet colas (except one brand I can tolerate, but I don't drink it often). Diet colas and salad are not the key to changing your body. Of course, I gave up sugared colas years ago and don't miss them at all.
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    OK. So I pretty much eat bananas/apples/grapes and other fruit, fiber bars, low calorie granola bars, and special K cereal. And of course I toast whole grain bread sometimes and put peanut butter on it.

It's bad I know, but of the food I named that I eat, what is considered "clean" eating, besides the fruit? And any suggestions of granola bars? I kind of want to get Nature valley instead of Quakers. They just seem ...healthier... ? Suggestions like that are greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

Eating clean isn't just fruit, it's eating foods that are picked, plucked & milked. Basically, people aim to eat less processed foods.

Nature Valley bars are NOT better than Quaker. The average Nature Valley bar has 12g of sugar and 160mg of sodium (see here:http://www.naturevalley.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=41) & that's not even the chocolate flavour. The Quaker has 7g of sugar and 75mg of sodium (That's half the Nature Valley bar - see here:http://www.quakeroats.com/products/oat-snacks/chewy-granola/chocolate-chip.aspx)

I would suggest you keep an eye out on your sugar intake. High insulin will cause you to crave "junk" and you'll be less likely to make "clean" eating choices. I read a book recently called, Diet Rehab by Dr. Mike Dow. I would recommend you check it out. He teaches people to go from eating junk food to healthier choices through a process, so you don't instantly cut anything out. It may help; good luck.