Curves

Options
Anyone know what the deal is with this program?

My cousin was into it some time ago, I've got an email msg into her to get her take, but has anyone on MFP had experience, good or bad, with them?

katie

Replies

• NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I had a member for a year. At the time it was good for me as I had been sedentary for years. At the end of the year I didn't feel like I was getting a good enough workout so I didn't renew. I would recommend it if you have never/recently worked out. IMO if you are already doing other stuff like JM30DS or other videos I say don't bother.
  • loseweightbrighton
    Options
    hello,

un-related but can any one help me... HOW DO YOU CREATE A NEW MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC?
    Any help would be great. thanks x
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    hello,

un-related but can any one help me... HOW DO YOU CREATE A NEW MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC?
    Any help would be great. thanks x

Go to the main messageboard (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums) > Select the forum you'd like to post in (General Diet, Success Stories, Fitness, etc.) > Select "New Topic" in the subforum you've selected > Enter information into the topic box that shows up > Select Post Topic and you're done.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    With Curves you get out of it exactly what you put in to it. You can just 'Go Thru The Motions' and you won't get much from it at all. Or you can really MOVE on the Recovery Boards and really WORK the machines, and you will get a GREAT Workout with GREAT results.
    If it is available the Computerized Program that works with the Machines--"CurvesSmart--really takes your work out to the Next Level.
    They also recommend that you do something else--Bike, Walk, Run, Sports, etc--on alternate days.

:heart: edited to add: I have been a Member at Curves since 2009.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    worked for me . I didn't work out in years and Curves keept me motivated .I went there 3 times per week and did my workout. They were very supportive .I stopped going because now I can go to gym and do my workout there .( a bit more advanced then Curves)
  • abbychick
    abbychick Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I still go and totally agree with what someone else said.....you get out of it what you put into it. Jog fast with your knees up high and really push it on the weight machines and I guarantee you'll be sweating your buns off by the end. My Curves has a treadmill and an elliptical too so I do 15 min cardio at the end of my workout as well.
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I joined Curves on November 30th, 2011. When you join, they not only weigh you, but they also take all of your physical measurements (bust, abdomen, waist, arms, thighs and hips) for comparison purposes. They suggest you go at least 3 times a week, but obviously you can go as much as you like. You will weigh and measure once a month there to see how you are progressing. My first month I only lost 10 pounds (but it was also the month of December, so holiday goodies were there to tempt me - and I endulged). However, I lost 30 INCHES!!! Yup!!! That's right!!!! So, I'm a firm believer, that yes Curves does work!

Like someone else mentioned, I got a SmartCard that I use while completing the circuit training because it basically acts like a personal trainer and pushes me to work harder. I have been going 5 days a week, and monitoring my calorie intake here on MFP. Overall, I'm very pleased with the progress I have had thus far with Curves, and love the fact that it's only women there...who are all in the same boat trying to get in better shape.

If you are already in fantastic shape, and want to get really ripped...then maybe a regular gym would be better...but for me, starting out...I love the structure that Curves offer, and I love the Zumba classes as well! Feel free to ask if you have any other questions! Most importantly though...just get active...whether it be with Curves, at a gym, using exercise DVDs...walking the dog...whatever you prefer!

Happy Losing!
  • atyman71
    atyman71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did Curves for about a year (almost 2 yrs ago) after belonging to various gyms over the years, hiking, mtn biking, and even P90X. I was reluctant for a while thinking it would be too simple, but then joined because of the simplicity and thinking it would get me consistent with something. It did and I lost 30" my 1st month (but no weight loss), and really liked the program and the ladies. I saw slow change thereafter and think I could have done better with my eating to see more change. After a while, my body and my mind got bored with the program and after my year committment was up I joined another gym (and immediately hurt myself overdoing things lol!) I love the flexibility of my gym and all that it offers, and at the same time wish I could drop in on occasion and do a Curves workout. I strongly believe in the Curves program, but like all other workouts that I have done my body adapts fairly quickly. If you are looking to get consistent with your exercise, a strong body, little muscle ache afterward (because of their stretching regimen), and fun with a bunch of great women - you should definately do it!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    I prefer fitness DVD's at home with dumbbells over Curves. It's easier for me to use resistance with weights than it was for me to do it at Curves. I think Curves is for people who have never worked out before or are very good at resistance training. Most people will cheat the machines where you can't cheat with weights.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I was a curves member for a while, and I liked it. :)
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Curves works for me, but with MS there are so many things that are high impact that Ican't do. In the past year I have lost 51 lbs, and gone from a size 24 to an 18. Still working on more!
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have a membership and agree completely with, you get out of it what you put into it. I also have a Smart Card and definitely recommend getting one. I joined in August 2011 and lost about 20lbs while actively using my membership. I did however recently join another gym, mainly because I tend to get bored and lose interest easily, which is what started happening with Curves. I need more options then the same 12 circuit machines. I intend on still using my membership, I have 6 months left on my contract, but once it's up I probably won't renew it.