gaining weight while exercising

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
My husband is getting discouraged. He was able to lose weight before exercising, mostly from just teaching with no added exercise. He's recently started P90 (the original) and is now gaining weight. He definitely has some poundage to lose, so why is the scale going up? He doesn't eat too differently than me, and I've been losing.

Replies

• TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    Options
    I think this is probably happens more with men due to increased muscle mass. My guess is he is adding muscle. Personally over the years I have always found that when I start working out after a long absense of doing so I typically put on 10-15 pounds in the first 2-3 weeks. Muscle memory has some pretty good longevity and what you once had typically comes back pretty quick, after than inital muscle mass gain the weight will start dropping.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ahh, over what time period Amy? If it's anything less then a month, then it's doubtful it's all muscle mass. Granted initially, when we start weight and resistance training, muscle mass is built rather quickly, but usually that's still only a couple of pounds. BUT add to that slight weight gain the changes your body is making and what that entails and you have your answer. I.E. as you activate more dormant muscles (many muscles in our body are not used fully until we work them out, as we train we "teach" them how to pull more muscle fibers into active use, thus become stronger without gaining significant muscle mass), those muscles requre more glycogen and water to use for energy, stored glycogen has weight, as does water. This can increase weight by up to 5 lbs or so in more extreme cases, but add a few lbs of glycogen and water, to muscle mass gained and you can see weight gains at the beginning of a drastic workout change of up to 7 or 8 lbs.

The good news is that will probably be where it ends. Once the body adjusts to it's new equilibrium, you'll again begin to lose weight (if you are at a caloric deficit that is). It might take a month or two, but it's definitely a positive thing for him. Don't let him get discouraged, it's what you want to happen!

-Banks
  • Rosebud1956
    Rosebud1956 Posts: 56
    Options
    What is happening with his body is he is gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. After he gets his muscles built up it will level off and then he will start burning fat.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Banks--It's been a month or less. Glad to see this is normal. I'll let him know because I don't want him to give up. Thanks!
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Ahh, over what time period Amy? If it's anything less then a month, then it's doubtful it's all muscle mass. Granted initially, when we start weight and resistance training, muscle mass is built rather quickly, but usually that's still only a couple of pounds. BUT add to that slight weight gain the changes your body is making and what that entails and you have your answer. I.E. as you activate more dormant muscles (many muscles in our body are not used fully until we work them out, as we train we "teach" them how to pull more muscle fibers into active use, thus become stronger without gaining significant muscle mass), those muscles requre more glycogen and water to use for energy, stored glycogen has weight, as does water. This can increase weight by up to 5 lbs or so in more extreme cases, but add a few lbs of glycogen and water, to muscle mass gained and you can see weight gains at the beginning of a drastic workout change of up to 7 or 8 lbs.

The good news is that will probably be where it ends. Once the body adjusts to it's new equilibrium, you'll again begin to lose weight (if you are at a caloric deficit that is). It might take a month or two, but it's definitely a positive thing for him. Don't let him get discouraged, it's what you want to happen!

-Banks
    Ughhhh - Banks,, I started a strength training routine 5 days ago. I'm doing alot of squats and push ups along with my weights. I am seeing a 3 pound gain on the scale and I know it's not from food. Are you saying it mightl take my body a month or two to start losing again? Cindy :heart:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    When I started strength training I felt like I was battling the scale - but it's all settled down....BUT every morning after my strength class, I'm up 1/2 pound or so - I realize this is normal and keep doing what I know I need to.

If you are eating the same stuff - is your hubby eating more? Typically men need more calories than women...just a thought.

Here's another thought....increase with a more intense interval cardio - like walking/jogging...
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

-Banks
    Ughhhh - Banks,, I started a strength training routine 5 days ago. I'm doing alot of squats and push ups along with my weights. I am seeing a 3 pound gain on the scale and I know it's not from food. Are you saying it mightl take my body a month or two to start losing again? Cindy :heart:

Depends, but yeah, probably. If you had some weight training or resistance in your program before, then you're body may not need a long time to return to balance, but if (as it sounds like) the change is a big one, then expect it to take a little while. But have heart, this is MUSCLE gain and it's helpers we are talking about, not fat. You're doing the right thing!
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options

-Banks

Depends, but yeah, probably. If you had some weight training or resistance in your program before, then you're body may not need a long time to return to balance, but if (as it sounds like) the change is a big one, then expect it to take a little while. But have heart, this is MUSCLE gain and it's helpers we are talking about, not fat. You're doing the right thing!

Ok Banks...since you seem to have this stuff down, that must be what's going on with me too then, right? I started a new workout routine that includes cardio and circuit training about a month ago, maybe just over. Since then, I haven't lost a single pound...not one. I have lost inches though. I've never had such a hard time losing weight in my entire life. Oh, and I haven't worked out this much since...well...high school. :ohwell:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Ok Banks...since you seem to have this stuff down, that must be what's going on with me too then, right? I started a new workout routine that includes cardio and circuit training about a month ago, maybe just over. Since then, I haven't lost a single pound...not one. I have lost inches though. I've never had such a hard time losing weight in my entire life. Oh, and I haven't worked out this much since...well...high school. :ohwell:

I'll throw it right back at ya. You tell me. It sounds like you have changed your routine drastically, and have seen some good results as part of it, maybe not the results you expected, but really, when we think about this whole process, what are we looking for? An arbitrary number that nobody would know unless you stepped on a scale? Or a better feeling and looking body that we can be proud of, and lets us show off our true selves because we are no longer embarrassed by our appearance?:happy:
    Wouldn't you rather lose inches then pounds? I know I would. I could care less whether I weigh 188 or 181, I'm far more interested in being able to thow a baseball harder, run faster, and look better with my shirt off then what my weight is, and all these things stem from muscle guys, add muscle, reduce fat, and you are healthier and look better, regardless of weight!
  • staclo
    Options

I'll throw it right back at ya. You tell me. It sounds like you have changed your routine drastically, and have seen some good results as part of it, maybe not the results you expected, but really, when we think about this whole process, what are we looking for? An arbitrary number that nobody would know unless you stepped on a scale? Or a better feeling and looking body that we can be proud of, and lets us show off our true selves because we are no longer embarrassed by our appearance?:happy:
    Wouldn't you rather lose inches then pounds? I know I would. I could care less whether I weigh 188 or 181, I'm far more interested in being able to thow a baseball harder, run faster, and look better with my shirt off then what my weight is, and all these things stem from muscle guys, add muscle, reduce fat, and you are healthier and look better, regardless of weight!

Well of course I care more about how I look and feel than what the scale says, so I guess that scale has way too much power over my moods and attitude. But come on...eventually it's got to move, right? It can't stay there forever while I turn into a fit and smaller 31 year-old. Right???
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Well of course I care more about how I look and feel than what the scale says, so I guess that scale has way too much power over my moods and attitude. But come on...eventually it's got to move, right? It can't stay there forever while I turn into a fit and smaller 31 year-old. Right???

Dunno, with 34 lbs to go you would think so, but then again, I don't really know you, and as such I don't know where you pulled that 34 from. In other words, if your goal weight was reasonable to begin with for your height, weight, age, and activity level, then yeah, I would expect you to lose more weight, but that's the rub, some people totally miss what they THINK they should weigh. Remember, you as a teen had a LOT less muscle mass then you as an adult should. Most people don't realize that.

Just because we stop getting taller doesn't mean we stop growing. You're body doesn't finish growing (I mean the REAL growing) until you are about 20 or 21. If you want to go back to you're "prom weight" well, that's unrealistic, because adults have (or should have) more muscle mass, and therefore will be anywhere from 5 to 20% heavier for about the same "size" body.

So again, in answer to your question, if it's a reasonable goal, and you stick to the plan, then yeah, you should lose more, but it probably will take a while since you're doing it right (with exercise and weight training).
  • staclo
    Options

Dunno, with 34 lbs to go you would think so, but then again, I don't really know you, and as such I don't know where you pulled that 34 from. In other words, if your goal weight was reasonable to begin with for your height, weight, age, and activity level, then yeah, I would expect you to lose more weight, but that's the rub, some people totally miss what they THINK they should weigh. Remember, you as a teen had a LOT less muscle mass then you as an adult should. Most people don't realize that.

Just because we stop getting taller doesn't mean we stop growing. You're body doesn't finish growing (I mean the REAL growing) until you are about 20 or 21. If you want to go back to you're "prom weight" well, that's unrealistic, because adults have (or should have) more muscle mass, and therefore will be anywhere from 5 to 20% heavier for about the same "size" body.

So again, in answer to your question, if it's a reasonable goal, and you stick to the plan, then yeah, you should lose more, but it probably will take a while since you're doing it right (with exercise and weight training).

Given all of that, I would still have at least a good 15-20 lbs to go, realistically. Thanks for the help! :smile: