Calories in fruit?

Options
I know there is a database here and everything, but I just wanted to know what counts as a small, medium, large pear or plum or apple? Like how many grams?

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think that would be a judgement call!

One of many reasons to leave yourself a calorie buffer. It's way too hard to know accurately what is in foods, especially fresh foods.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get a scale and go by weight. It really is the best way.:flowerforyou:
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think you can find food scales pretty cheap so that would be your best bet to judge
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i always avoid the entries that just say "small/medium/large" - because its not really accurate at all. there are lots of entries that have weight and i use those. if theres not one, i check out whfoods.com and make one :)
  • emily115
    emily115 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do have a food scale, but I just wanted to know how many grams is small medium or large. But thanks anyway:)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just ate a medium-ish orange and weighed everything I ate-- it was about 125 grams. They were the loose oranges at the grocery store, not the ones in bags. A medium fuji apple (loose, not the teeny ones in the bags, which are usually around 90 grams each), according to my scale, is usually between 150-170 grams. A medium banana is around 100 grams. Calling it "medium" is definitely subjective, but that's what I'd "eye" as medium.

I hope this helps!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I do have a food scale, but I just wanted to know how many grams is small medium or large. But thanks anyway:)
    well thats the thing, sizing it with one word is subjective. the apples we get i would consider small would actually weigh in closer to medium (based on some of the database entries). what i would call a medium banana weighs in closer to large.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    There are actually specific measurements in the agricultural industry for those sizes, but I doubt that's what's in the database. I'd definitely go with a scale, if you're really worried.