Reaching the recommended calories

I find it hard to reach the recommended calories without eating just for eating sake. I tend to go find a packet of crisps or something equivalently nasty from the cupboard just to top up the calories (sausage roll is a prime example). Anyone any tips on something thats calorific but tasty and not junk food ?

Replies

• Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Can't see what you're eating to be able to work out why you are having a problem.

Try nuts, peanut butter, almond butter, soya desserts, fruit.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    I find it hard to reach the recommended calories without eating just for eating sake. I tend to go find a packet of crisps or something equivalently nasty from the cupboard just to top up the calories (sausage roll is a prime example). Anyone any tips on something thats calorific but tasty and not junk food ?

I had to do the same, so I had a sliced kiwi covered in Strawberry yogurt.

Yesterday it was a sliced banana with a toffee muller lite.

I am also going to get in some nuts, to nibble in the evening if I haven't hit goal.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    A favorite of mine is almonds....yummy! An apple or banana with some PB is good too.
  • i'm assuming you ate over the recommended calories for years before you decided to diet, so how did you do it then but can't do it now?
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Can't see what you're eating to be able to work out why you are having a problem.

Try nuts, peanut butter, almond butter, soya desserts, fruit.

Oops will open diary ......

I dont think we have almond butter ... sounds soooo good though
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    I do Lowfat vanilla yogurt with sliced up strawberries and blueberries as a dessert at night to get the rest of my calories and its so good. :)
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    i'm assuming you ate over the recommended calories for years before you decided to diet, so how did you do it then but can't do it now?

I have no clue how many calories I had been eating but kinda stick to the same things most days. My big downfall previously was red wine, lots of it and crisps, lots of them. Always at night before bed.

Throw in some chocolate and it's a recipe for fat. So I have cut out all crisps, chocolate and alcohol. Now I can't fnd the calories.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    i'm assuming you ate over the recommended calories for years before you decided to diet, so how did you do it then but can't do it now?

I think you have mis-read the original post.

She can get calories by eating junk, but wants a better option.
  • oOoMicheleoOo

I think you have mis-read the original post.

She can get calories by eating junk, but wants a better option.

Exactly .... the whole point is to cut out the junk. ie alcohol, crisps and chocolate.
  • i'm assuming you ate over the recommended calories for years before you decided to diet, so how did you do it then but can't do it now?

I have no clue how many calories I had been eating but kinda stick to the same things most days. My big downfall previously was red wine, lots of it and crisps, lots of them. Always at night before bed.

Throw in some chocolate and it's a recipe for fat. So I have cut out all crisps, chocolate and alcohol. Now I can't fnd the calories.

so drink a glass of red wine. a glass of red wine a night is actually good for you as it has antioxidants and helps cardiovascular health. that'll add an extra 100+ cals to your total a day.
  • you can also eat a little bit of chocolate. the point is moderation. you don't have to completely cut out alcohol and chocolate because you are dieting. a little chocolate and a little red wine is fine.
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    you can also eat a little bit of chocolate. the point is moderation. you don't have to completely cut out alcohol and chocolate because you are dieting. a little chocolate and a little red wine is fine.

Would rather not even open a bottle. As soon as its opened then I would not leave the sofa. And one bit of choc would lead to a bar. I can happily do without now.
  • then i'm at a loss. you could try finding higher calorie versions of the stuff you are currently eating, or try eating slightly larger portions of the same things.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Nuts or trail mix is great. It's healthy for you, and very calorie dense. Just a handful has about 140 calories, so it's an easy way to top off your calories for the day. Really, you can eat for eatings sake if you have some leftover calories, just make a healthy choice.

I had that problem, but then realized that my treadmill was overshooting my workout calories, so it may also be work checking to make sure all your calculations are right.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Whole wheat bread and almond butter!!
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    I'm the same way! I love red wine and dark chocolate, but once you give it up for a certain amount of time you stop craving it. I used to LOVE coke. I cut it out of my diet and eventually stopped craving it. Occasionally, I take a sip of my husband's coke, and then I always regret it because it's hard to not want more. Way to take charge!

I second the healthy snacks: I love bananas, spinach smoothies (green monster smoothies), peanut butter (PB&Co. makes awesome flavored PBs, like dark chocolate dreams, maple PB, and white chocolate. Seriously amazing!!)

you can also eat a little bit of chocolate. the point is moderation. you don't have to completely cut out alcohol and chocolate because you are dieting. a little chocolate and a little red wine is fine.

Would rather not even open a bottle. As soon as its opened then I would not leave the sofa. And one bit of choc would lead to a bar. I can happily do without now.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    You can look at my diary. I eat quite a bit and have been eating fairly healthy for the last month or so, with the typical treat every now and then.
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    Whole wheat bread and almond butter!!

I need to try and find myself some of this almond butter you all crave about !!!
  • barbiegirluk
    barbiegirluk Posts: 30 Member
    I live in Hampshire, UK. We have local Holland and Barrett. They have Almond butter, cashew butter etc. I have had almond butter and it tastes yum. They also have some fantastic nuts and flour alternatives. Would recommend to give it try.
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Protein Shakes
    Avocado
    Nuts
    Whole wheat pasta or rice

I reach for a protein shake when I need extra calories but I don't want junk.
    Don't skip breakfast in morning.. that way you cant get more calories int he morning and give your body a chance to burn off the calories you take in throughout the day.