How often do you get your cholesterol checked?

Along with other things? i.e. blood pressure, blood sugar, etc.
I've never had high blood pressure, usually about 115-120/80-90 which is normal for the most part. My cholesterol last time it was checked was 190, which is on the high end of good, and my blood sugar (after eating) is usually about 80, which is also good. However, I want to monitor these things because problems with all three run in both sides of the family. How often does everyone get theirs checked?

Replies

• I check my sugar every day. I get my cholesterol checked about every eight weeks when I donate blood. :)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    I get my cholesterol checked once a year. It was pushing 200 before I lost the weight and started exercising. Now my total cholesterol is 123 with my HDL being at 60 :-)
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Once a year at my physical. Unless you have issues, that should be enough. You're young, though, and having cholesterol at the high range isn't a good thing. I'm not saying you need to check it more often, just get it under control before it becomes a problem. Since it runs in your family, it's a good thing you're working on losing weight and eating better. Exercise also helps lower cholesterol.
  • mogadad
    mogadad Posts: 41 Member
    Once a year is good until it goes high, then 3-6 months depending on how bad. Cholesterol is one of the things I track on my daily food page.and try to get under 150 mg a day. As you get older your body starts making too much
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    If it isn't high where you are on medication then you should be good getting it checked annually when you have a physical.
  • bolteja
    bolteja Posts: 12 Member
    Hi,
    Like everyone else, I get mine checked yearly. In addition, when I doante blood, I get a free cholesterol check.. I think once a year is good unless you have an elevated level or a family history that might concern you.