Loose weight or go blind?

Options
Hi everyone! I joined this site about a week ago and the urge of two of my best friends. I've been using it every day and I'm happy to report that I've lost 4.5 pounds in my first week! I'm proud of this, but got some pretty shocking news this week. While on a routine eye exam I found out that I have a rare condition caused by fluid retention on the brain! This seems to effect women in their 30s who are overweight! Although there are some things to be done in the short-term to protect my vision and life, long-term consequences of remaining overweight with this condition do include brain surgery and eventual blindness. I have to loose weight this time and I can't fail and gain it back. I lost nearly 60 pounds in 2010, but gained 70 back in 2011 when life fell apart. It is this rapid gain that is believed to have caused this condition :( So here goes nothing, or everything...failure is not an option anymore... wish me luck and feel free to add me as a friend. I could use all the encouragement I can get... Rachel

Replies

• bolteja
    bolteja Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My goodness! I am so sorry to hear! But it seems like there's something you can do to prevent blindness! While I cannot even begin to imagine what you must be going through, I think we both agree losing weight is a battle in itself. Let's do this together! The more friends the better!
  • biologic
    Options
    good luck.
  • Eriam8
    Eriam8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is horrible!! I wish you all the best in your weight loss and your healthy life to come.
    Don't give up to temptation and keep in mind what is at stakes!
    Good luck!!!
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You can do it and you WILL do it! You have all the ability in the world! :) I am really hyper right now, so exclimation points are my favorite thing!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
  • RachelSusannah2012
    Options
    Thank you all. I can relate to hyper so it made me laugh :) Thanks so much!!! :):happy:
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    I hope you are able to use this site to lose the weight and keep it off. I can't even imagine what it would be like to receive that news from the doctor. I guess it is good motivation though. You CAN lose the weight and we are here to help. There are plenty of very friendly and helpful people on MFP. Best of luck on your journey.
  • RandomDude50
    Options
    Wow. Talk about motivation. I'm sorry you're in that position. :(
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    Rachel, I am sorry to hear about your condition, and I am sure the stress makes things worse. I didn't have a similar issue, but health concerns as well as multiple, large gains and losses like the ones you have had helped me decide to get a lap band. I have lost about 75 pounds and my health has improved. Surgery is drastic, but it is an option for a lot of people, and there are different types. Have you considered it?
  • yojaseyrae
    Options
    if you already managed to lose 60lbs in one year by yourself, you are gonna kick *kitten* with the support people give you on here!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place!!!! How many exclamation points mean I'm hyper?

You can do this.