Do I need to re-evaluate my goal weight?!?!? How should one

Options
How should one determine their goal weight?

So, I'm 29 years old, 5'3" and weigh 210lbs (lost 5 so far). At my healthiest time of adulthood i weighted 140 and I was 21 years old and working to get into the Army. I had to lose 40lbs to get in. Being that weight again would be so ideal. But it almost seems impossible. It was so hard to be at that weight. I would be content if i weighted 160. Being the shapely short Latina that I am, I'd be happy with a small waist and a curvy body. 160 seems realistic. 140 doesn't. But when I see the very inspirational pictures that people post about their weightless success, I think WOW, maybe I can do that! I already have 50 more lbs to lose. Is adding another 20lbs to my goal being unrealistic? Will I be setting myself up for failure? I noticed that some people have 2 goals or more. But do people really go past their first goal? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Katetmay
    Katetmay Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I am 5'2 2 04 and my current goal weight is 150lbs. I figure once I reach 150 I will re-evaluate as ultimately in the end I think I want to try for 135.
  • NCVF
    NCVF Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That's smart. I could always do that too. Just reevaluate once i hit my goal. I'm just afraid of giving up once I have that feeling that I'm done. I'm definitely determined. But I do have a fear of getting there then giving up. :/
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to re-evaluate down the road.

I'm 5'5.5" and my original goal weight was 130-135. Got there and didn't feel "done." Am currently 123 with a revised goal weight of 115. Might not get quite there and am willing to revise again if needed. I'm upping my calories and eating close to maintenance, so wherever my weight settles that will probably be it for me...I'm guessing it will be somewhere in the 115-118 range.
  • NCVF
    Options
    wow! your'e a skinny little thing now! lol. Do you mind me asking what your starting weight was?
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    My highest (non pregnancy) weight was 168.
  • ebaymommy
    Options
    Just wanting to add that if I was going by weight/looks alone I probably could have been very satisfied with 125-130, but I got hooked on marathons and am wanting to really push to see what I can accomplish, hence the lower weight goal. I'm actually eating a boatload of food, watching my macros and cross-training like crazy to try to build muscle and shed fat so it's more about that now that the number on the scale at this point.
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you are working out and trying to build muscle remember that muscle is denser than fat. It is actually a better way to measure success to grab a tape measure and measure inches lost, how clothes fit you, and your energy levels when you wake up in the morning. Also, as you eat better You will see you skin get less oily, your eyes starting to look like you are getting enough sleep. Using the scale is one of the most detrimental things you can do when starting off, because you may not lose weight at first, you may start to build muscle and then slowly burn off fat. I would weight in, and the take measurements as you progress, only checking your weight at most once a week.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I think you should determine where you want to be. I originally set my goal based on being right in the center of the "normal" category for BMI....which would put me around 150. I'm 5'8''. That's not a bad number...but I have a friend who's an inch shorter than me and weighs 165 and I think I'd be perfectly happy with myself being around his size. I set my goal at 160 which would technically still make me a bit slimmer than him but I threw my original 150 out the window for the most part. If I get down to 160 and decide I want to keep going then I will at that point. But I figure around 160 I'll start toning up and building more muscle.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to go for the lower number. I think it's easier to get to a lower weight while you're in "losing mode" than later when you decide you want to lose more. I'm 5'3" and weigh 129 right now. I'd still like to lose a couple more pounds. I'm about to turn 51 and work out quite a bit. For me, going to a lower weight might mean I can stave off diabetes and other health issues later on. It's all about health for me and not about a certain size at this point.
    Keep in mind that different people "wear" their weight differently. A certain number on the scale can look very different on people of the same height. Find what works for you!
  • mebutskinnier
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else, But I set a series of goals to seem the actual weight loss not as difficult. So you're 210. I would set 4/5 Goal weights(GW)

Set it up like this.
    GW1:200
    GW2:180
    GW3:160
    UGW(ultimate goal weight) 140.
    That way, it gives you a chance to be proud of yourself for the weight you have lost and still be encouraged to get down to that final weight.
  • NCVF
    Options
    Actually every time i lose 5lbs it's goal! lol. I put together this monthly chart and I wanted to lose albs a month. But i decided to kick of my diet at a faster pace for my trip. I'm going to Puerto Rico in 2 weeks, and I'd like to lose another 10lbs just for the trip. Maybe 11, so my weight no longer begins with a 2! I probably won't slow down when I get back, so I'd like to weigh about 170 by June, when summer comes. Then in October I have my brothers wedding to stand up in, and I'd like to be my goal weight by then. I'm not even sure if my time line is realistic. :/ But a 140lbs sounds so dreamy!
  • kmhallett
    kmhallett Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started at 205 and am at 187 right now. I would love to be 140's by April. I think anything is possible if you try hard enough. I am thinking about trying that 17 day diet. I have heard such dramatic results and it has been made by a DR. it is really healthy too, nothing that will hurt your body and does not consists of odd foods.
  • NCVF
    Options
    Actually I plan on starting the 17 day when I return from my vacation. Although I may have to incorporate beef in my first cycle. It helps to keep me from steering away from my diet now. I purchased the online book and just started reading it. So 140 by April?!? Wow, that's dedication. Please keep me posted on your results!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for somewhere inbetween 120-150, I started out 216 (am now 179) and with my ticker what I do is just show the next 10 pounds I need to lose and then when I get there I reset it to the next 10 pounds. It really takes the stress out of it :)
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is to be determined at a much later time.. I have been over 200lbs for more than 12 years, since I was a teenager in Highschool. It will be a miracle to get to 199 lol. After I get there, I will re evaluate every 10 or so lbs and see where I am, what size Im in and how i look. Right now its set at 165 but Im not sure where I will end up. Im 5'6 and never have been skinny but who knows.
  • shenderer
    Options
    You could go to mybodygallery.com and put in your goal weights and sizes and see if you like the looks better of the 160 lb person or 140 lb person. Obviously everyone looks different at different weights but it might give you an idea of which one you would be more comfortable.
  • amandakaye79
    Options
    My starting weight is really similar to yours - I was 215 and down to 206 about two weeks after restarting this site. I have my goal weight set for 160. Its been a looooong time since I've been there. Well over 10 years. I can't even remember when the scale last read that. Once I hit that - I'm going to re-evaluate and probably continue the journey. Its been hard so far, but if I keep at it, I'll be able to see results soon.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I currently weigh 125lbs. I originally wanted to go back to my lowest weight of 114lbs, but that was when I was able to work out twice a day, everyday, & really maintain a strict 1200 calorie a day diet. Now with graduate school and work, I just don't have that kind of time. So, I think I will be happy if I can get to 120lbs and maintain it :)
  • VirgoWhiskers
    Options
    I feel the same. I am 5'2 2 04 and my current goal weight is 150lbs. I figure once I reach 150 I will re-evaluate as ultimately in the end I think I want to try for 135.
    This is my thought process as well. I'm 4'11", and my goal weight is 135. However, all the BMI charts and such say I should weigh about 90-100lbs, which feels impossible. So I'm going to work toward 135 and once I'm there I'll see if I feel like I can go further or not.
  • NCVF
    Options
    So I totally checked out mybodygallery.com. That's crazy! Whoever came up with such a clever idea?! Is there anything like that for before and after pictures?