How many calories does a 13yr old boy need each day

Options
My son is 13yrs old, he's about 5ft 5, and is 180lbs (12st 12lbs).

Obviously he's still growing but I need to restrict his food intake a bit more I'm worried about his size and it's bad enough trying to sort out my weight as well as his.

I think he's going to be taller than his dad, well taller than all of us.

So does anyone know based on his height and weight and given that he's still growing how many calories he needs.

Replies

• lovelyl0ve
    lovelyl0ve Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't focus on calories for him, he's far too young. Just focus on feeding him healthy and nutritious foods. Cook healthy meals, leave healthy snacks for him to eat, and teach him the importance of good food. See if maybe he wants to take up a sport perhaps? Or go on family walks together. Just focus on healthy habits, not calories. :)
  • Bet_Lynch
    Options
    Believe me I've tried on getting him to eat more fruit (he gets an apple in his lunch box don't know whether he eats it though)

I cook homemade food with the occassional frozen meal (pizza or breaded chicken and hash browns no more than twice a week)

It's just the snacks, I don't know what to give him that he'll eat, won't eat yogurt with bits in, won't eat a variety of fruit or raw veggies.

Basicly he's a very fussy eater.

I wasn't going to tell him I was monitoring his calorie intake, I'd do it with out him knowing.
  • biologic
    Options
    does he sit inside when he's not in school? if so, get him outside playing soccer or basketball or something for a few hours a day. and try to keep him away from refined sugars.
  • Nikkiray32
    Options
    Hi. For childrne it's a different for weight. The doctor has a chart that they use. It measures their group category. It starts from birth and keeps going it also uses hieght in the calculation. Just tell your pediatrician his hieght and weight, he will pull his chart, do the calculation, and see if he is in a healthy range.
  • Bet_Lynch
    Options
    He goes to a class once a week where he learns different martial arts and self defence. He does P.E twice a week.
    And i was looking into a local gym they have for kids.
    He hates sports of any kind.

But apart from that he's a massive computer head. I did put a pc timer on to limit the time (which didn't go well :laugh: )

It's so hard cos there is virtually no motivation from his side, he just see's me as nagging him.

I wonder if there are any mums on here that have the same problem as me, perhaps we can share tips.
  • Bet_Lynch
    Options
    Hi. For childrne it's a different for weight. The doctor has a chart that they use. It measures their group category. It starts from birth and keeps going it also uses hieght in the calculation. Just tell your pediatrician his hieght and weight, he will pull his chart, do the calculation, and see if he is in a healthy range.

Thank you x
  • biologic
    Options
    there must be something physical he likes doing enough to do every day.

in reality every person should raise their heart rate through some type of physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day. our bodies weren't evolved to be sedentary for almost all of the day.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ask his pediatrician!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, I agree with the above poster who said the calorie controlled diet for a kid isn't a good idea. I would also recommend focusing on making sure they are eating things at the bottom/middle of the food pyramid 90% of the time and getting them doing some physical activity they enjoy (eg. competitive sports, athletics, etc)

I don't know how you can make them eat things they don't want to though, when I was a teenager I was overweight and wouldn't listen to anyone :/
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Or do it yourself--Google teen BMI and it gives you the chart. You just calculate their wt in kilograms divided by their height in meters squared on the y axis, and their age on the x axis. And remember boys usually grow out before they grow up. If he's getting mostly healthy food and some physical exercise, you are probably OK. (If not, keep trying find him a sport or physical activity like martial arts.) I have to be very careful not to project my weight sh&t onto my sons--it doesn't belong there. They can eat a ton more food than I can and that's OK.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i agree on not focusing on the cals....i wonder if you can create a profile for him, even though you are the one to use it, and you log what you know that he eats all day, and you can see where he already is on a daily basis. Then you'll be able to easily see what he is doing, and as you increase good stuff and see what you can replace with healthier versions....I think it would be so empowering for kids to log their own food...just for the educational aspect, but of course, they are so young and that is just a different ballgame.

My son is 21 and eats horribly and i worry....but i do find if i do things like grill veggies, or use whole wheat bread and pasta etc...he will eat it...so that could be a start ;-)
  • Bet_Lynch
    Options
    i agree on not focusing on the cals....i wonder if you can create a profile for him, even though you are the one to use it, and you log what you know that he eats all day, and you can see where he already is on a daily basis. Then you'll be able to easily see what he is doing, and as you increase good stuff and see what you can replace with healthier versions....I think it would be so empowering for kids to log their own food...just for the educational aspect, but of course, they are so young and that is just a different ballgame.

My son is 21 and eats horribly and i worry....but i do find if i do things like grill veggies, or use whole wheat bread and pasta etc...he will eat it...so that could be a start ;-)

Thank you x
    I just feel like i want to cry
    I weighed him today and didn't realise he was so heavy :(:frown: :frown:

I luv him so much
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I totally get you. My son is 10 and out of no where went from a bean pole to a chubster. He hates sports, fruits and veg, and any type of cleaner eating. Doesnt like going outside and being active, only stays on his laptop or playing video games. On my days off, I get him outside and let him ride his bike but he tires rather quickly.
    It is frustrating but I'm hoping that I can slowly get him to eat differently and that he'll have a massive growth spurt and thin out.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    As a parent I can understand the feeling that you need to control your kid's diet and help them along, however a growing adolescent should not be calorie-restricted without the advice and guidance or their dr or nutritionist specializing in working with adolescents. If you are concerned and really feel things need to change, I suggest talking to his dr and asking for a referral to a registered dietician that can help evaluate his current diet and determine if it needs any tweaking. Obviously you can keep healthier options around the house - fresh fruits and veggies instead of chips, etc, making meals with lots of veg and protein and less carby stuff just to balance it out better, but I wouldn't try to restrict his calories or anything like that. Let him eat if he's hungry, just give him healthy options to choose from. Also agree with focusing on the physical activity - gives him lots of opportunities to be active as that can help with the weight without making him self-conscious of what he eats.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My son will be 13 in 3 mos... and iis 173-175 lbs and 5'7 or 5'8 (he was 5'6 same as me in April at his birthday but now he is taller than me :brokenheart: ) and plays soccer, hockey, basketball and is very active. He has always been a "big" boy - not fat, but TALL and muscular as he was 9lbs 4oz and 22.5 inches at birth and always off the scale in the percentile used by the doctor..but his weight always fit with his height, so it all balanced out.
    You can't keep them away from all junk forever but it's important to keep them active and if they eat junk to balance that with good foods as well - my son loves lamb, raw baby spinach, fennel, olive oil and other "weird" stuff other kids wouldn't touch...
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying about keeping the healthy foods available. If it's something he shouldn't be eating (cookies, chips, soda, canned quick meals and such) don't have it in the house. If he refuses to eat what you cook, then let him go hungry. He'll try eating what you set in front of him after a couple of missed meals. and no cupboard-browsing an hour later. My nephew is in the same boat, he's 12yrs and 140lbs, only 5'1'' he has to be forced away from the video games/computer, because he doesn't know how to entertain himself, and in turn his brain is bored and he finds himself boredom snacking too often, and eating too large of portions of the things that he likes. Like meat and meat and more meat. It's difficult getting balanced nutrition into picky kids, but I promise you a little tough love, sticking to your guns, his attitude and taste buds will change pretty quick! Best luck!
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Good ideas above! My suggestions: with exercise - try some gadgets for the bike - recording heart/rate - speed and progress on the computer usually appeals. It motivates most people - not just children- to see progress made and have something to 'compete' with/aim for. With healthy food I suggest making it fun in any way you can. An apple a day is healthy did get a bit dull. We went for variety and had more success- adding something small but odd and new to try each day. (+ awarded 'man points' for courage in the face of such dangers) It has become part of the routine here - and report back time is usually quite a joke session. Our foster children unpack their school lunch looking for the day's adventure food are disappointed not to find anything odd enough to shock their friends with! The result - a greater willingness to accept new tastes and textures in other meals. Sometimes they actually meet a new food they love (who would have thought that dried seaweed would be so popular?) Smoothies are easy to make and low calorie and filling. Ours will eat anything made into soup - and again it is a low calorie filler and always there to dip into as pots can be kept in the fridge. I find that anything (however healthy) made 'bite size' or not requiring any chewing is popular as a snack food.
  • runnerwithin
    Options
    you said he like computers and stuff, so maybe try fitocracy for him, its actually like leveling up your body and such, and most of us are pretty nerdy. Obviously since he's 13 you might be a little more wary of him being online. or maybe allow him on his computer only if he eats his fruits/veggies?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Doctors generally don't recommend monitoring a child's calories due to the fact that there bodies are growing. I have an overweight child and underweight child. I just get rid of all the junk in the house, feed them the meals I make for myself, and give the underweight child larger portions. Also, encourage your son to be more active. Sign him up for a sport. Or you could teach him about weight training. My youngest daughter recently took an interest in weight training and I bought her some light weights.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My son's dr suggested he lose some weight so we restricted his calories. Not really restricting them but trying to control his portion sizes. It has helped a lot. I also started cooking differently and the changes I made helped him lose. He's also gotten into football and loves to play. He's also very competitive so I have had him competing with me when I do my workouts. He has started doing it with me trying to do more than me and he's lost weight. I would definitely talk to his dr and see what he says about calories.