foods to avoid???

Options
so i have heard through the grapevine that there are "healthy foods" that i should avoid... i am just starting out and dont want to fall into the trap

14765277.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure what you mean, but I would say generally speaking anything that sounds too good to be true is.
  • atag2011
    atag2011 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Granola. Not all, but most brands tend to be high in calories and sugar! If you do eat it, make sure you watch the serving size, as it's usually a lot less than you'd think. Good luck!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    The only "healthy foods to avoid" are probably ones that are very high in calories and fat (if you're having trouble staying under your goals). Things like nuts, avocados, etc. They're healthy, but can put you over on calories really quickly. If you can eat them and stay within your goals, though, no need to avoid them (or any other healthy foods).
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Hm. Not sure what foods you should avoid. I personally don't avoid any foods - good or bad. If I want something, I just make sure I can account for it in my calories.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    if a major corporation puts it in a box and calls it "healthy", don't eat it. :)
  • shonasteele
    Options
    Just cuz something is fat-free, light or whole grain does NOT mean that it's good for you or low in calories. Watch everything. And count everything. Some people think all fruits & veggies are 'free' (because they are on some diet plans) but they are certainly not calorie-free so count them all.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't think that there are any "bad" foods; it's just about understanding portion sizes and how to eat in moderation.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    Hm. Not sure what foods you should avoid. I personally don't avoid any foods - good or bad. If I want something, I just make sure I can account for it in my calories.

^^This^^
    In the past I have taken foods and even whole food groups out of my "diet" and it never failed that I would binge on the foods that were forbidden. Today I eat whatever I want, the difference is, I only have a portion of it, don't eat straight out of the bag, put everything on a plate and savor every bite. I refuse to give up my pizza and kettle chips!!
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    Just cuz something is fat-free, light or whole grain does NOT mean that it's good for you or low in calories. Watch everything. And count everything. Some people think all fruits & veggies are 'free' (because they are on some diet plans) but they are certainly not calorie-free so count them all.
    BOTH OF THESE
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't think that there are any "bad" foods; it's just about understanding portion sizes and how to eat in moderation.

This.

In addition, you avoid foods when you are medically diagnosed with a need to, such as foods that gives you allergies etc.
  • PrettyLydie
    PrettyLydie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Avoid is a strong word. I think if you just read labels and ingredients though, and use some things more sparingly than others, you should be fine. Like lower fat/fat free salad dressings tend to have more sugar and carbs to replace the flavor that's missing from the fat, or some things with artificial sweeteners (like ice cream) can cause diarrhea if you eat too much of them, diet soda can still cause bloating and has chemicals that aren't the best for you, olive oil is packed with calories (even though it's "healthy" It's still oil) so use it sparingly. Just little things like that, like I said, avoid is a strong word...I don't believe in avoiding things, just avoiding overuse of them :)
  • Funkyhairchic
    Options
    I also believe it's about moderation. However, read the labels on everything you buy. Sugars are the #1 culprit that will trap you. Health foods can be deceiving sometimes so watch the sugars, salt, additives, etc. Even Whole Foods Market is not 100% healthy, in some instances.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would avoid anything processed or instant, including healthy or xxxx-free versions. I know this is difficult so it's kind of a nice-to-do

I think more directly to your question:

nuts: although healthy, portion control is difficult. A handful of raw unsalted almonds may be healthy, but equates to about 250 calories.

bread: read the ingredients list.. even your ancient grain dempsters: Whole grain whole wheat flour including the germ, water, ancient grain blend [whole grain flax, whole grain millet, whole grain spelt flakes (2%)*, whole grain kamut flakes (2%)*, whole grain barley flakes (2%)*, whole grain poppy seeds (2%)*, whole grain amaranth (1%)*, whole grain quinoa (1%)*], rye flakes, [/B] sugar / glucosefructose, yeast, wheat gluten, vinegar, soluble raisin syrup (raisin solids, water), salt, vegetable oil (canola or soybean), monoglycerides, acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono and diglycerides, calcium propionate, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, calcium carbonate. [/b] -- NOTE: each slice is 120 calories, which makes a normal two slice sandwich 240 calories in bread alone

yogurt: try to buy 0% or 2% plain yogurt. if you start buying the flavoured ones, sugar and different flavorings are added in. if you can't stomach yogurt, add some organic honey or throw in some blueberries yourself to avoid the syrup and sugars they throw in.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want in moderation instead of avoiding anything.