Before or After?

Options
Question: do you log your food before or after you eat it? I log mine before I eat it, usually log everything for the day first thing in the morning...how do you do it?

Replies

• icewindfirex
    Options
    I used to log everything first thing in the morning, as I felt it was safer with my plan and I wouldn't add in extra things. Now, I go make my plate then log. (Although I'll mentally add up the calories of the meal in my head before I fix the plate.) After doing it for so long, I trust myself more :) I enjoy it this way because it leaves room for my healthy cravings and changing my mind!
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    before. the night before most times.
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    After for me..
  • rwhite93
    rwhite93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like to log my food in the morning.
  • DietPep1978
    Options
    Before I would log mine after. These days I tend to log mine in the morning after my breaky. It helps me even out my day a little more. I usually plan to eat things I know I have in my fridge or on hand.
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    both... if I know what I am fixing for supper then I will log it the night before when I log and pack my lunch.... breakfast and snacks get logged as I eat them most of the time...
  • Sarena3
    Sarena3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I log it before to see if the plan fits my target numbers. Then I make any adjustment throughout the day. Some days I go a bit over, some days I go a bit below when I make adjustments. Most important thought I try to be thorough and accurate. My goal is that the final blurb when I close the diary at the end of the day is a weight loss in 5 weeks. That means I'm steadily working to progress.
  • rollycollysmama
    Options
    I log every single time I put anything in my mouth, or excersize so I don't forget!
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    A mix of both. I try to plan my day beforehand and then edit it as I go.
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use my iphone app to log my calories and use the barcode scanner to help with logging when I can. I measure my food with a food scale so I fix my food and log at the same time (measure and while measuring I barcode scan the container/bag/box and adjust my servings amount) then go enjoy my good food!!
  • jarae876
    jarae876 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I personally have been doing it like first thing in the morning so that way I can have an idea of what I can have, can't have, work on (ie lowering sodium upping fiber). But it is not set in stone and I do change my mind sometimes and then when I do I delete what i changed my mind about and enter the new thing after I finish eating it LOL.

So I guess you could say I do it both ways.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Both. I try to plan out breakfast and lunch when I work, din.er as I decide what I am putting together. Eating out I do between courses.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It depends. I usually log my breakfast after, and if I know what I'm having for lunch or snack I might log that too. For afternoon snack, supper and evening snack, usually it is after...but not always.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well, since I just started, I tend to log as I go all day long. I log food after I fix it, but before I actually eat it, and exercise as soon as I'm done. I'm so likely to forget until I get into a good habit of doing this.
  • nataliemae2011
    nataliemae2011 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i will mostly eat breakfast then log the cal.at that time i will pre log for lunch. Then i know to have what i already logged for lunch. Then i exercise after work and eat dinner then log again.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Both. I log before if it's something that I don't know the calorie value to. Then, if it's too many calories I often times don't eat that.

But my typical meals I log after.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    depends on the day, I have no set in stone routine. I guess I'm a rebel because sometimes I might write in what I'm going to eat and totally stray, but usually after
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    A little bit of both. I typically log all my meals first thing in the morning, and then snacks I log after I eat them.
  • supersourbubble
    Options
    i log after i eat, or exercise bc i find myself not always finishing an entire meal i log.

I also think doing it before just seems like too much work for me. i cant plan a whole day of eating!
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    A little bit of both. I typically log all my meals first thing in the morning, and then snacks I log after I eat them.

I do the exact same thing, I like to leave a little flexibility in my day, but log in Breakfast Lunch and Dinner as soon as I can.