Protien Shake

Options
Is there a right and wrong time to take a protien shake?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Nope drink it when you want to hit your macro by the end of the day
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Most people will tell you to have your protein shake within 30 minutes of your work out, so that it can help boost recovery and aid in muscle growth. I'd say that's the best time. I don't think there would be a worst time though, as long as everything in there is good for you.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a wrong time. From what I've heard, it's good to drink a protein shake immediately after a strength-training workout so you can provide re-building material (amino acids) to the stretched and strained muscles.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I've read that bodybuilders follow a routine when it comes to protein as far as their training. I've had them any time throughout the day, and only feel bad when I don't have them at all.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Most people will tell you to have your protein shake within 30 minutes of your work out, so that it can help boost recovery and aid in muscle growth. I'd say that's the best time. I don't think there would be a worst time though, as long as everything in there is good for you.
    ^this.
    sometimes i throw some protein powder in my breakfast smoothies...or my lunch smoothies. but i always make sure to have one within a half horu of working out
  • WanderingBomb
    WanderingBomb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Ill start taking mine after my workout. I'm always super thursty after anyway :)
  • konnichiwhey
    konnichiwhey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    4 a day:) morning, snack, post workout, before bed! Towards the evening if your still hungry and in need of calories that would be a perfect time for a shake.
  • NatashaK29
    Options
    There's no wrong time! Like the guy before said anytime really. I usually have one before bed cuz I didn't get enough calories that day.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    what brands are good to buy and taste good?
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If I've had nothing to eat for a while or overnight I'll have 1/2 a protein shake 30 mins to an hour before a workout and a full shake afterwards. You need to refuel within 30 mins to an hour of your workout to repair your muscles. This really works! Best to combine quality protein with your favorite fruit and maybe some ground flax.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I like Designer Whey or EAS Vanilla, these mix well with anything and you can add your own cocoa powder if you want chocolate flavor - you really want a basic protein without 'proprietary' formulas which could be anything including corn starch and other bogus fillers!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    so where do you go to find these or buy them? and how much do they cost and how long do they last?>
  • ejm234
    ejm234 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Reflex Instant Whey - Chocolate Mint and it mixes so much better than other powders, has much less calories, and really does taste AMAZING (with skimmed milk)!!