5k in April ...Any tips for building up to it?

Options
Signing up to run (walk) a 5k in April. The problem? I can only run about 10 minutes on the treadmill and then I have to walk a bit ). My hope is to simply cross the finish line. i have no grand hopes of running the entire thing, or crossing the finish line first. I just want to finish it.
Anyone have any tips for building up running stamina?

Thank you

Replies

• bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Google "couch to 5 K" or "C25K" - there are programs designed to get you to (and through) your first 5K with a combination of running and walking. Good luck!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if you are able to run the whole thing....follow a plan like Couch to 5k and you will probably surprise yourself. The most important thing is to not do too much, too soon. Even if the plan seems easy at first, follow it as written. Get fitted for some good running shoes. Good luck!
  • kimhere
    kimhere Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was going to say C25K as well. the program is great!!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hey bluevwgurl,

5k is not as daunting as it seems. You said you can run about 10 minutes on the treadmill before you have to start walking? That is not bad. I think you can definitely run your first 5k way before the April event. Here are some general tips:

1) Get the right pair of sneakers. This depends on your foot strike as well as your foot arch. If you need help with this message me.
    2) Start a log. Whether its an excel spreadsheet or just pen and paper, keep a mileage log (and time if you want). This is a good way to keep track of progress and set goals along the way.
    3) Plan out your daily runs for the week and include one day for rest.
    4) Build up your mileage slowly every two weeks or so but more importantly trust your instincts - if you feel your body is not recovering fast enough then wait before you increase mileage.
    5) I would slowly integrate outdoor runs into your routine. Treadmill running and outdoor running affect your body differently. I prefer outdoor running because treadmills bore me to death.

I bet you will hit 5k in no time if you stick to a routine and set minor goals along the way. April is a ways off and you can definitely do it. Good luck
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the info :-) i think i am going to try c25k starting monday.

thanks again, everyone!
  • h_mills
    h_mills Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Girl, you got that, NO PROBLEM!!
    If you can run for 10 minutes now, then try 11 minutes next time. Do that for a couple days. Then add another minute. Going up a minute or so at a time teaches you (your body & mind) that you can continue to move. April is a long time from now.
    I also recommend "mapmyrun.com" for logging your mileage/time. It keeps a calendar for you and tells you how awesome you are, by showing the percentage changes on a week to week basis.
    And in anticipation of you RUNNING across the finish line, congratulations in advance.