Q for Personal Trainers. Will my certification from a vocati

Options
BethanyMasters
BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
I keep getting told that to be taken seriously as a personal trainer I will HAVE to get an A.C.E or similar cert. and that the certification I've been working on for a year from a vocational school is basically useless.

This is very very discouraging. I have 3 more exams to go but I just have no motivation to finish right now because I keep getting told it's worthless and was a waste of money.

On a side note I really do want to get my A.C.E but I just have no expendable income right now.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It depends. I'm not a PT by the way, but did work in the Fitness industry for 4 years.

If you apply to work as staff at a particular gym or fitness centre, the value of your qualification is determined by the specific employer. Your knowledge from the qualification you're doing now may even be enough to convince them to employ and support you through further qualifications.

If you go freelance, your qualification may be worth less than somebody with the higher qualification but you can always adjust your rates to reflect.

Basically, no, it's not junk and the people telling you this may just be elitist or perfectionists. Keep up with it, and if you find you need a higher qualification it will be a walk in the park, metaphorically.
  • BethanyMasters
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I really need it right now.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    That's crap. . who are you certifying through.. I am finishing my certification as well!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I agree, keep up with your studies and you'll be that much more prepared for any future cert you may need/want. I just got my cert through ISSA which many consider a lesser organization but it'll still work to get my foot in a door somewhere.
  • BethanyMasters
    Options
    I'm getting mine through Penn Foster Career school.

3 Exams left
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I just looked up Penn Foster and they prepare you to take the NCSF personal trainer exam. The NCSF is accredited by the same organization as the ACE, ACSM and NASM, commonly considered the big three. Get your cert and hold your head high :)