Anyone else always feel cold while losing weight?

Options
Seems like when everyone else is comfortable.....I'm freezing. Like right now I've got on jeans, a turtleneck, sweater, socks, slippers, at hat and gloves (took them off to type this post.....as soon as it's posted, I'll put them back on.....no problem using the mouse with gloves). Hubby is wearing shorts and no shirt.

Is it just me? Or is anyone else feeling cold when others aren't?

Replies

• kwehkweh
    kwehkweh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get cold all the time too. And it's not just a feeling of cold, it's where my fingertips are freezing, my toes are freezing. But I'm also anemic constantly, which is fairly common for women trying to lose weight.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I get cold all the time too. And it's not just a feeling of cold, it's where my fingertips are freezing, my toes are freezing. But I'm also anemic constantly, which is fairly common for women trying to lose weight.

Fat oxidation --> increased blood flow to fat cells --> less blood flow where you don't have much fat (fingers, toes) --> cold fingers and toes.

Also, (not 100% sure), core body temperature may drop a bit as part of metabolic slow down in response to dieting.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!
    I drink alot of hot tea to keep me warm....
  • nowornever78
    nowornever78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yesss The same thing happens to me, Always freezing lately :)
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    :glasses: Oh ya....always feel cold.
  • sredick
    Options
    Very interesting! My hands and toes have been very, very cold since I've gotten serious about losing weight. I'm going to school for massage therapy & my hands are always freezing when I begin a massage... even if I wash my hands in warm water right before. Buurrrr!!!

2561689.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kwehkweh
    kwehkweh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I need to get better at this science stuff.
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Glad to see i'm not the only one....just wish i could warm up. I'm actually typing with gloves on.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes! In my case, it's probably because I'm constantly chugging water. Even though it's room-temperature, it's still cold enough to make me feel frozen!
  • knurse1987
    knurse1987 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I have noticed how sensitive I am to cold lately and how I get cold very easily when everyone seems to be comfortable...
  • gminniep
    Options
    I get cold when I am sitting around especally while on the computer. I just get up and move around for a bit. My husband is always cold when he sits around and I can be fine so I guess everyone is different.
  • ojlacox
    ojlacox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I freeze all the time except when on treadmill. It doesn't matter how many layers of clothes on I'm cold. Someone told me it was due to your metabolism resetting itself when dieting.
  • KellsJourney
    KellsJourney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I figured it was from drinking cold water so much throughout the day.....
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! and I know it will just get worse. I've got cute scarves, I use running glove for typing on the computer (they are really thin), wear layers and sweaters, socks etc. I've stopped drinking cold/tap water in the mornings, I have to have warm beverage. Even my nose gets cold - totally crazy.

So glad to see I'm not the only one.
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Always cold..bbrrr!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    you should be careful - it may be the sign of not enough nutrients (i.e low iron....)
  • MrZZeroG
    MrZZeroG Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    All

It turns out there is a lot of science about why one might "feel cold" or experience cold sensations. Let's first dispel the the myths. It's probably not due to circulation going to "fat" as fat nor is it that your body has "dropped in temperature." It turns out that with the exception of a slight dip at night (you actually drop a bit in temperature as a process of falling asleep), your body likely stays with in one half of a degree of your life-long set-point. Feeling cold does not mean that your body drops in temperature.

There are many factors that can fool your body into believing it is cold when you are not. Most people have strong feedback in the face, ears, fingers and toes. If you'll take steps to cover those areas first (gloves before sweater), you'll learn to adapt pretty quickly to air temperatures down to about 60. Even the most "I hate to be cold" person can easily withstand colder temperatures.

On the flip side, for every degree your temperature rises (fever) you have about an 8% boost in metabolism. Not suggesting flu for fitness, but it gives you an idea of what it takes in terms of constant heat to keep your body at an elevated temperature. Now, being "hot" and having a "fever" are two COMPLETELY different things - take your temperature after a run. The heat you experience on your skin is waste heat produced by running and you don't burn significantly more calories just being hot.

On the other hand, as you get more cold, the body has some defense mechanisms built in to keep your temperature up. Shivering is the most obvious, but there are other non-shivering ways the body can trick your energy systems to produce heat.

If you feel cold, especially on the extremities, it's likely circulation from your body BELIEVING it is cold when it is not. This can come from repeatedly exposing yourself to heat (heater under the desk, too many layers, high thermostat followed by walking into cool room etc..) The way to combat it is to slowly reduce layers/thermostat but keep extremities warm.

no doubt the cold will help you shed a few extra pounds...

Hope that helps.

Ray
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My feet are always cold anymore. I use to sweat all the time. Even if it was frigid. I prefer my cold feet.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I suffer with Raynauds and when i was not eating enough it was 10 times worse. Now i've increased my calories and started taking iron tablets i never really suffer and i work outside as a PE teacher and it's bloody freezing in London at the moment!
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OMG this board made my day. I've been complaining about being cold since I began losing weight and my boyfriend just looks at me like I'm nuts. My hands are usually a little chillier than most, but sometimes I just feel chilled. I'm not glad anyone else is cold out there, but I am glad I'm not the only one to notice this since I began losing weight.

I have found that having a cup of tea seems to make me warm for a long time, so I try to have some chamomile mid afternoon. Best wishes and stay warm!