Losing Inches, not weight

I've lost inches off my hips, waist, and a little in my thighs. But I haven't lost any weight. Has anyone else expereinced this and know whatsup?

I'm def not complaining! I just want to know why because I'm curious.

Replies

• chele76
    chele76 Posts: 28 Member
    muscle weighs more then fat.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    You are converting your fat into muscle...muscle is more dense so it takes up less space...so you will lose inches, but not weight

a lb= a lb= a lb

muscle, pound for pound does not weigh more than fat...it has a greater density, fat is more spread out
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    My best guess would be that you're replacing fat with muscle! Same weight, but smaller size and healthier!
  • TeraJo
    TeraJo Posts: 58 Member
    I am experiencing the same thing right now. I am working on strength training with a personal trainer and he said that it is because I am gaining that muscle back and losing fat... but the muscle as you know weighs more so I am not seeing a droppage in pounds only inches. :) I hope that helps!
  • Thats what I thought! I just wanted some second opinions. Thanks ladies!
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Before my wedding I trained with a trainer 3 days a week for 3 months... Followed my diet and worked my *kitten* off! In that 3 months I lost maybe 3 pounds all together! I was getting really upset! Then I went for my final fitting and my dress was big!and not just a little she had to take it in alot a week before I left for Mexico..
    All the clothes I had bought to wear to the beach were big aswell!

I know that the number is what everyone concentrates on but honestly if your shrinking and look toned and good! I would focus on that!
  • iamshells
    iamshells Posts: 46 Member
    Muscle is more dense than fat...so even though you are losing inches, you will not notice any weight lose. For example; one pound of fat can be as big as a basketball, one pound of muscle can be as big as a grapefruit. Personally that's the best way to get in shape. Keeping muscle mass will allow to keep your metabolism at a high level. You should go by how your clothes fit...instead of worrying about number on the scale. In the long run...you will keep the that great shape. Hope that helps!
  • iamshells
    iamshells Posts: 46 Member
    I agree!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    You are converting your fat into muscle...muscle is more dense so it takes up less space...so you will lose inches, but not weight

a lb= a lb= alb

muscle, pound for pound does not weigh more than fat...it has a greater density, fat is more srepad out

Correction..........you can NOT "convert fat into muscle". No such thing. You in fact lose fat and build lean muscle.
  • http://www.fitnessbender.com/2011/11/why-number-on-scale-isnt-everything.html

Check this out. It has a picture of what five pounds of fat looks like vs five pounds of muscle. You are burning fat, and building muscle. You are getting smaller, getting more calorie burn, and losing fat. That's more important than losing weight. :)
  • dutchjacky
    dutchjacky Posts: 46 Member
    I have the same thing, been going to the gym n training for the last month but nothing on the scales but have dropped a dress size so am really pleased and looking forward to the pounds coming off
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member

a lb= a lb= alb

muscle, pound for pound does not weigh more than fat...it has a greater density, fat is more srepad out

Correction..........you can NOT "convert fat into muscle". No such thing. You in fact lose fat and build lean muscle.
    I'm pretty sure that we all mean the same thing, just might not be wording it exactly right. But everyone loves to correct everyone else over trivial differences in wording (ex: the 2 people that I quoted)!
  • http://www.fitnessbender.com/2011/11/why-number-on-scale-isnt-everything.html

Check this out. It has a picture of what five pounds of fat looks like vs five pounds of muscle. You are burning fat, and building muscle. You are getting smaller, getting more calorie burn, and losing fat. That's more important than losing weight. :)

Ugh! That was gross but good to know and to have a visual.
  • Adventuretown
    Adventuretown Posts: 120 Member
    I saw this once and thought it was an interesting perspective!

fat-v-muscle.jpg
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member

a lb= a lb= alb

I'm pretty sure that we all mean the same thing, just might not be wording it exactly right. But everyone loves to correct everyone else over trivial differences in wording (ex: the 2 people that I quoted)!
    Thank you Honeysprinkle...I was going to say something but you gave a perfect response :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,099 Member
    LeanMean, I am in the same boat as you. (One of) my December goals is to just step away from the scale....it will NOT be a fair representation of the body sculpting I am aiming for.

Friend me if you'd like a "buddy" in this area!
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Whilst 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat weight the same, fat is soft and lumpy and fills a larger surface area. Muscle is small, firm and dense. Seems like you're pretty much swapping fat for muscle pound for pound at the moment. It's great you're not losing weight, you're size is all that matters and all that extra muscle will be boosting your metabolism. I think we'd all be best to throw our scales away, I know I look to them too much for a sign of my success when really they become pretty useless when we're exercising.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    I'm in the same boat - over the past year I have lost about 12 lbs total for the year - with 7 of them being in the last 2 months - However my body shape has changed dramatically with people thinking I have lost up to 20lbs....the way I figure it if I keep up the exercise and eating right - even if I loose slowly I would rather see nice definition on my arms, shoulders, legs, etc...then a certain number on the scale
  • Minimomma24
    Minimomma24 Posts: 14 Member
    ok so my question is...I want to lose inches and not weight...but I keep losing weight...What am I doing wrong???
  • mnlowe96
    mnlowe96 Posts: 1
    This really helped me - thanks for posting. So frustrating to not see smaller numbers, but I am wearing smaller clothes, so why do I care so much? Going to remember this pic when I get frustrated at the scale!