Calories in Pizzaria Foods

Options
Hello All.
I'm having trouble adding my calories for half of a Stromboli I just ate from a local Pizzaria.
I called the store, but they had no idea about the Calories or size(each one is rolled differently).
I've done some research online but I'm still unsure.
Can anyone help? I'm at work so i couldn't really weigh or measure it....

Replies

• CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    What was in it?? Eyeballing about how big was it??
  • lanatheohsobannana
    Options
    just ate a Stromboli from Boston Pizza last night and it was in the data base. I don't know if that will help you at all.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I look at the same foods on the websites of big chain restaurants and create my own using that info.... If I see a big variance I go with the higher one, unless the majority says the lower number. Hope that helps.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    put 400
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ask them for the approximate ingredients and then enter a recipe... that is what I did for the calzone at my pizza place.. they were great... didn't give me the recipe just the amounts... and you get an approximate... you can also type it in and guess - or over guess... that often works with me...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Is there anything comparable in the database? Stromboli from another restaurant with the same ingredients? If so I'd add that, estimate your portion size and then add a small calorie margin in case you're off. Another way to go would be to add each ingredient individually but that may not account for extras like butter or oil.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    put 400

...if you only had 6 bites.

If it had bread in it, cheese in it and meat in it, it was probably more like 1200.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Never put anything in your mouth unless you know what it is :)

If your out for the day prepare your meals the day before.
  • taso42
    Options
    put 400

...if you only had 6 bites.

If it had bread in it, cheese in it and meat in it, it was probably more like 1200.

So you reckon a Stromboli has 2400 calories? More calories than a large pizza?
  • seaoftears
    seaoftears Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I put 610 for 8.5 oz....for pepp and cheese.
    I thought the full thing would be about 1200-1400 (around 16-17 oz)calories depending on size and whats inside.
    It seemed to be around 12-14 inches so i figure i ate about 6 inches.
  • taso42
    Options
    sounds reasonable.... and delicious!
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options

^^^You starting to sound like a prep coach homie:laugh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Oh please. Normal people do not live like this.

Find an equivalent in the database and stop obsessing over it.
  • xcrushx28
    Options

Oh please. Normal people do not live like this.

Find an equivalent in the database and stop obsessing over it.

It's choices like that which will prevent you from reaching your goal.

There are plenty of people that prepare their meals in advance. When you do that you never stress over what your eating, you just know.

Also that food item can be prepared so many ways "finding an equlivelent" is not remotely accurate. In the big picture it won't mean a whole lot, but if it's common practice.....
  • zipnguyen
    Options

There are plenty of people that prepare their meals in advance. When you do that you never stress over what your eating, you just know.

Also that food item can be prepared so many ways "finding an equlivelent" is not remotely accurate. In the big picture it won't mean a whole lot, but if it's common practice.....

I'm normal and I prep my meals. AND I EAT PIZZA like nobody's business (see food diary). And the macros are NOT anywhere near as high as "restaurant pizza"

I can post pics, but I'm afraid it would be too enticing...
  • xcrushx28
    Options

I'm normal and I prep my meals. AND I EAT PIZZA like nobody's business (see food diary). And the macros are NOT anywhere near as high as "restaurant pizza"

I can post pics, but I'm afraid it would be too enticing...

lol Zip you should post your pizza, then I'll post my Calzone.

But I guess we are not "normal"?
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    HERE YOU GO....................
    Alrighty folks. Thank you so much for commenting and/or sending me PM's about homemade pizza. I think its good to have if you understand your macro nutrient totals. I don't if you eat the same amount as I do, you might lose weight, gain weight or maintain - who knows. But in terms of "diet" food if you will, I tend to make my favorite foods fit into my macro nutrient totals. Pizza being one of them.

The whole process of preheating, prepping and cooking should take NO MORE than 25 mins.

Preheat oven to 450 BEFORE you start your dough-stretching-pizza-saucing-topping-process. Believe me, you will be much faster than the time it takes the oven to preheat. Use the heat-from-bottom and not "convection." heat from bottom gives you a crispier crust. Convection back makes the dough bread-like and rises too much. So I prefer heat-from-bottom.

16ozs of White/Wheat pizza dough from Safeway - the WHOLE dough ball is 200grams of carbs. So depending on your carb allowance for any given day, I could technically two pizzas per day just to maintain weight (400 grams of carbs/day), but in doing this I will not hit my fiber goals for the day, so I cannot eat like this everyday.

Dried Spices - I use oregano and "Italian Seasonings" <
    yes, there's a seasoning called, "Italian Seasonings."

Spin, stretch dough. YouTube this. My first pizza didn't look right, so YouTube'ing how to stretch dough is a must. I don't spin it in the air, I could, but it's unnecessary. I only do this as a flare for the kids and that's it. It makes a mess really AND if you drop it, you have one of two choices (1) use another dough ball and throw away the dropped one or (2) hopefully your floors are clean enough for you to just pick up and use.

Once spun out to your desired diameter and thickness, place on a pizza screen. It's cheap. I bought 12 of them for $41 on eBay. Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PIZZA-SCREEN-16-CASE-12-SCREENS-/280790502933?_trksid=p5197.m185&amp;_trkparms=algo=SIC.NPJS&itu=I%2BUA&otn=12&pmod=280791911912&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=5175026335666839256

^^^I have the 18" ones. I only found the 16" link on eBay. They also go up to 20" and as little as 12". You could make it on a cookie tray or on foil, but I've found out that it's not going to be as crispy and "restaurant like" OR I've done this too which is buy 1 unglazed corey tile from Home Depot for about $2.35. It's basically the same thing as a pizza stone. But if you buy a pizza stone at a store it's going to run you $30-$50. I spent $2.35 on 1 18"x18" corey tile which worked great but getting the pizza on there and off the corey stone requires a pizza peel, which in my opinion get's kinda cumbersome to use on a consistent basis.

I have no idea what you would do with 12 screens though. You can't buy one because one costs you about $8 already. So might as well buy 12 and split the costs with friends and family. I ended up keeping 4 for myself and sharing the rest.

Anyways, PAM Spray the pizza screen and place your stretched dough on it.

Sauce it. Word to the wise, more sauce is not beneficial here, it will leak through and cause a mess in the oven (I know from experience).

Put the toppings on now BEFORE THE CHEESE. Trust me on this. I sprinkle the dried spices and meat toppings before I put the cheese on top. Reason being this, if you use grilled chicken that's already been grilled, it's going to dry out substantially if you put it on top of the cheese. Putting dry leaner cuts of meat is better under the cheese (again trust me on this). But in today's example, I made a bacon pizza (I know bacon...), but I put it under the cheese anyways.

Cheese it. I use a fat-free mozarella cheese.

Bake in oven until desired crispiness. Usually 13-15 minutes.

It should slide off the pizza screen on to your cutting board. Gawk, awe, salivate, take pictures, and then cut it up and serve it up.

ALL The toppings are adjusted to hit your macronutrient totals. For example, My usual pizza PER HALF Pizza will be about 113c/13f/55p. Today's is slightly higher in fat because I'm using bacon instead of grilled chicken breast, and hence, the macros today are 113c/33f/55p. I usually need about 100grams of carbs and about 50-55grams of protein in one sitting, but that's me though. Adjust yours accordingly....

Here are the progress photos of the pizza...

dough.jpg

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

photo5.JPG

photo6.JPG

photo7.JPG

photo8.JPG

ENJOY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile:

twopie.jpg

threepie.jpg

pizzanite.JPG
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    The macros and calories for 1 pizza is about 1/3 that of "restaurant pizza"...

@xcrushx28 - jealous?
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    <
    has eaten 2 pizzas in one day.
  • seaoftears
    seaoftears Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There are things limiting my ability to "prepare" at home...hence not having a working fridge.(cheeses, other ingredients)
    AND sir, i am at work...i wanted to treat myself and fix my craving, and Was impressed i didn't eat the whole thing like I would in past months....