best HRM/fitness gadget

Options
I realize that MFP is not good at estimating calories burned, and i want a good monitor of this - what is the best to get? I don't have an iPhone so cannot use that - would like something all round that calculates calories, heart rate, etc etc

HELP

Replies

• kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar RS100 for Christmas and it has done everything that I needed.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i just got the Timex T5J031 Unisex Digital Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Watch from amazon 2 days ago and i like it so far. turns out i had been way under estimating my calories burned. this one calculates calories burned and you can replace the batteries yourself ($55)
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    Any half decent HRM will come with a chest strap, if it don't have a chect strap don't even waste your money. Timex and Polar are good brands, you just have to fine the one that fits in your budget and has the options you are looking for.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar F4 and absolutely LOVE it ! Check Amazon .... great prices ! :)
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Any half decent HRM will come with a chest strap, if it don't have a chect strap don't even waste your money. Timex and Polar are good brands, you just have to fine the one that fits in your budget and has the options you are looking for.

agreed, you definitely need a chest strap
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i have the Polar FT4... got it for about $60 on Amazon.. totally worth it
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I got a Pyle Sports HRM from Amazon recently, it was $25.69 and free super saver shipping, (but thanks to some amazon gift cards I earned through Swagbucks I only paid 69 cents!) (If you want to know more about this, please message me, I don't want to violate and terms or conditions!)

It's certainly not sleek or fancy, but it has the chest strap which transmits my heart rate to the wrist watch (which is ugly, and HUGE and takes some getting used to) or as I learned yesterday it also transmits my heart rate directly to the workout machines - i.e. the elliptical I usually use.

It also has a calories burned function which was the whole reason i got it. So far I'm happy with it. It took a little longer to set than I thought it would, but once you figure it out, you're golden.
  • shadowsz
    Options
    I recently bought a polar FT4..i finally figured out how to really use it to get the most benefits..it comes with a chest strap and it really really helps me to push myself harder because i can literally see the calories ticking over and how hard my heart is working..totally and utterly reccomend it :)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar F4 and absolutely LOVE it ! Check Amazon .... great prices ! :)

I love my FT4! I got it on super sale for about $65. Best investment ever!
  • MsFat2Fit
    Options
    I've been happy with Suunto T1c; the chest strap is good.
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F4 and is wonderful
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I also have a polar F4 and love it. I've had it over 3 years now and never had to do anything or get anything replaced including the batteries. It has a chest strap that isn't to annoying and it is really durable, I even accidentally wore it in the shower once. I can't remember how much I paid for it but I'm know it was less than $80.
  • preacher_lady
    preacher_lady Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I teach Group Exercise and I have a Polar FT40, but the FT4 or FT7 are also excellent depending on what features you are looking for. The personal trainers at my gym recommend Polar above all others. I have had a couple of other makes before this one and definitely prefer Polar hands down. You couldn't go wrong. I'm glad you got responses to your post because I asked the same thing when I was looking for a new HRM and didn't get one response. I ended up doing research on my own and asking personal trainers. Good luck in your choice.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Loving my polar ft4 :-) I got it on sale for 50 bucks
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone - it appears that the polar FT4 is the most popular... what i want to know is how does it com[are to that new on,e the FITBIT - it looks really good, so small and measures sleep asweel?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone - it appears that the polar FT4 is the most popular... what i want to know is how does it com[are to that new on,e the FITBIT - it looks really good, so small and measures sleep asweel?

Fitbit is a totally different ball park. It's not even an HRM.. what it does is measures your steps, and heart rate(I think!) and then measures calories burned off of that.

If you want an HRM though, go with Polar. I know people mentioned Timex, and they are crap. They way overestimate calories burned, and the cheaper ones tend to assume you are a male.
  • Saftlad
    Saftlad Posts: 35 Member
    Options

As with dad106 - the FitBit is a totally different piece of kit. Effectively it's a fancy pedometer that will sync with a base-station to track your steps taken (and floors climbed). It will guestimate calorie burn based on your height and weight, but that can be a long way off.

Equally, the calorie burn shown on the gym machines is well out too as it's based on generic information.

Best bet is to get a decent HRM, and as others have said, Polar is one of the best to get given their range and price-points. I have Suunto which is also a great bit of kit, but also comes with a substantial price-tag. Too much for someone who just needs to gauge calories.

The other benefit of Polar is that they will "talk" to a lot of gym equipment so you can see your actual heart-rate without having to hold onto the special handles (not recommended if you're running on the treadmill, it disrupts the bodies natural movement and can cause injury).

Best combo would be a cheap Polar to track actual calories burnt, and a FitBit to track the exercise periods, then correct the indicated calories with those shown on the HRM. You will need to setup the HRM correctly with your current height/weight/sex & age to have it correctly calculate the calories. It's also worth checking the setup every couple of weeks if your weight changes so that the correct data is being used.

I'm a Personal Trainer, and have a few of my members working with this combo. The HRM keeps them honest in the gym, and the FitBit motivates them the rest of the time.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you afford I strongly recommend Polar FT80. This is a real gadget and for a long time you're going to workout only to discover the great potential of it.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am keen to get a HRM also and was wondering about the actual chest strap that you have to wear - Are they uncomfortable?

I have to admit that this is the one thing that turns me off getting one, is having to wear the strap!
  • Saftlad
    Saftlad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am keen to get a HRM also and was wondering about the actual chest strap that you have to wear - Are they uncomfortable?

I have to admit that this is the one thing that turns me off getting one, is having to wear the strap!

The most comfortable chest-straps are the material based ones (like the Polar WearLink), which have the monitor/transmitter in the centre of the chest. The all-plastic ones (e.g. Polar T31) can cut in quite uncomfortably.