Not losing?

Options
I've essentially maintained the same weight from about the fall of 2008 to the fall of 2011, which was approximately 250-ish. I had a really hard time getting below that weight but I also didn't gain at all during this time period.

In September 2011, I started gaining weight even though my lifestyle habits didn't dramatically shift and between then and now, I've put on 50 pounds. I'm very concerned about this, particularly because like I said, I didn't do anything different to cause it.

My typical daily diet is about 2000 calories, admittedly I need to consume more fresh fruits and veggies and less packaged foods, but I have never been a big veggie eater so this is not a recent change. I am a full-time college student, full-time employee at a restaurant and I have 2 kids. I'm under a lot of stress but I have been for a long time, so while it is possible that stress is a factor I don't think it's related.

Recently the weight gain has gotten worse, to the point where I am now consciously trying to eat more salad and less processed carbs, working out more often, etc. and I am still gaining weight. In one week recently I gained 6 pounds, despite this being a week in which I meticulously tracked my foods (daily average of about 2000) and exercised for 30 minutes 3x in that week.

I have scheduled a physical with my doctor to find out if there is any medical reason why this is happening but I was wondering if anyone has heard of something like this happening? The situations I have considered are possibly that I am insulin-resistant or possibly diabetic (scary thought!) or that there is an issue with my thyroid.

Thanks for reading this, any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get your thyroid checked. If your TSH is high, it can cause weight gain.

My recent weight gain has been due to post-partum thyroid issues. It was relatively easy to get under control.
  • donnabeheyt
    donnabeheyt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    pregnant, thyroid, usually diabetics uncontrolled lose weight at first, maybe your eating later at night and not realizing it, maybe snacking at work without paying attention. did u stop any medications or start any new ones? I have the problem with stress also but I gain 10 lbs and then lose it. I also attend college have 2 kids and work fulltime at a doctors office.
  • beckih10
    beckih10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for your exercise? I am a personal trainer and deal with situations like this all of the time. People get stuck in a routine or are eating more calories than they need to or think that they are. To lose 1 pound, a 3500 calorie deficit needs to be created between your food and exercise.

Visit my training page on facebook, "Becki Hill Personal Training", and "like" it. You can always post questions or comments on there as well. I post training tips, motivational tips, various exercise and nutrition articles, etc.

Best of luck!
  • skirtinthedirt
    skirtinthedirt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can speak from personal experience and that of others:

I saw that you are now in your 20's and have had 2 kids. Sadly, a lower metabolism comes both with getting older and with kids so it's very possible to gain weight without changing anything significantly.

If you haven't yet, I would go to your doctor first for an evaluation and if he gives you the "all-clear" healthwise, develop a realistic, consistent routine. Do a lot of research. Talk to a personal trainer, nutritionist, etc if that's possible, or if not there's a lot of great info and support online.

Then, you have to adopt a healthier lifestyle like it's the most important thing in the world, because right now it is, and it is SO hard to get started. But it gets easier, and easier, and then it gets fun, and then it gets to be a way of life.

It can be done. I am proof.
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    What are you doing for your exercise? I am a personal trainer and deal with situations like this all of the time. People get stuck in a routine or are eating more calories than they need to or think that they are. To lose 1 pound, a 3500 calorie deficit needs to be created between your food and exercise.

Visit my training page on facebook, "Becki Hill Personal Training", and "like" it. You can always post questions or comments on there as well. I post training tips, motivational tips, various exercise and nutrition articles, etc.

Best of luck!

I usually do about a half hour on an elliptical at a pace that I would consider moderately strenuous (can't talk easily while exercising) as well as 10-15 reps of upper body exercises like tricep extensions, bicep curls, shoulder press, torso twists, etc. All told it's between 30-60 minutes 3x weekly. This is similar to the exercise program I've always followed and had good results with.
  • faythe
    Options
    pregnant, thyroid, usually diabetics uncontrolled lose weight at first, maybe your eating later at night and not realizing it, maybe snacking at work without paying attention. did u stop any medications or start any new ones? I have the problem with stress also but I gain 10 lbs and then lose it. I also attend college have 2 kids and work fulltime at a doctors office.

I had at first thought that I was consuming more grazing calories than I was counting, but like I said I've been meticulous and I actually gained weight when I followed MFP near-perfectly. It's odd. I don't take any medication.
  • faythe
    Options
    I can speak from personal experience and that of others:

I saw that you are now in your 20's and have had 2 kids. Sadly, a lower metabolism comes both with getting older and with kids so it's very possible to gain weight without changing anything significantly.

If you haven't yet, I would go to your doctor first for an evaluation and if he gives you the "all-clear" healthwise, develop a realistic, consistent routine. Do a lot of research. Talk to a personal trainer, nutritionist, etc if that's possible, or if not there's a lot of great info and support online.

Then, you have to adopt a healthier lifestyle like it's the most important thing in the world, because right now it is, and it is SO hard to get started. But it gets easier, and easier, and then it gets fun, and then it gets to be a way of life.

It can be done. I am proof.

I have an appt in a couple weeks with an internal medicine doctor to do some basic bloodwork, if anything pops up there I'll probably go to an endocrinologist. I do plan on getting in touch with a nutritionist, as well, because I know that diet is where I'm probably screwing up.

Thanks for the advice. :)
  • GetSetGo73
    GetSetGo73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories or at least half of them? It's important that you do one or the other!
  • teagan911
    Options
    I had something similiar happen to me. I was always a tad overweight. I didn't change my eating or exercise habits and gained 40 lbs. in 3 months. I went to the doctor thinking my thyroid must be out of whack. I have had 4 kids in 6 years and was thinking that my metabolism must have slowed as well. Well, after many tests, I was diagnosed with Lupus (not saying you have Lupus or anything, just pointing out that it could be something going on). So, I am glad you have an apt. scheduled. Then again, you could be as healthy as can be and just have your metabolism catching up to you. I never got over 100 lbs. until I was 4 months preganant with my first. I ate like a cow. Anything deep fried and covered in sugar. I thought I was just "lucky". BAM- I had a kid, got a little older and learned that we can just eat anything we want. I swear I didn't have a salad until I was 24!