Want to jog/run?! JOIN ME!

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
I work at a sports medicine clinic and this is the program they give people who are wanting to work up to jogging/running. It's gradual so that you do not injure yourself, and also helps you slowly build the muscles and endurance needed to jog or run for miles. I've already started stage one, and wanted to invite anyone else out there to join in!

Stage 1:
Walk 4 minutes, jog 1 minutes, repeat 3 times
total = 15 minutes

Stage 2:
Walk 4 minutes, Jog 2 minutes, repeat 3 times
total = 18 minutes

Stage 3:
Walk 4 minutes, Jog 3 minutes, repeat 3 times
Total = 21 minutes

Stage 4
Walk 4 minutes, jog 4 minutes, repeat 3 times
total = 24 minutes

Stage 5
Walk 3 minutes, jog 4 minutes, repeat 3 times
total = 21 minutes

Stage 6
Walk 2 minutes, jog 4 minutes, repeat 3 times
total = 18 minutes

Stage 7
Walk 1 minute, jog 4 minutes, repeat 3 times
total = 15 minutes

Stage 8
Jog continuously 15 minutes

Progress to next stage only if you are PAINFREE before, during and after exercising. If you have not injuries, than stay at each stage for at least 3-4 days.

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    And please remember to:

Wear appropriate footwear

Warm up

Stretch

And take you time!!

I am going to restart this program after jogging in sandals with my dog. I worked up to a pretty good pace using this chart (THANKS!!!) and was really careful when in the gym concentrating.

I think I was so happy to be able to run a 5 minute stretch that I was invincable.

So just be careful, take it slow and enjoy!!

I cant WAIT until I am cleared for take off!!

:drinker: J
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Thanks for the great program!
    I wanted to let you know that there is a MFP Runners thread where we post our workouts, share advice,encouragement,etc. All levels are on there....from those using a C25K to those running marathons! Please join us! We'd love to meet you! :flowerforyou:
    Becky
  • Thin4payton
    Thin4payton Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for posting this! I would love to run, bt my endurence is basicly nonexistant. I hope this will work! Running looks fun!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Sure I will join you. I just ran in a 5k at the beginning of the month but want to decrease my time, especially after not training lately. thanks for the info
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this
    I've just starting walking/sprinting on the treadmill
    I usually last about 35-40minutes and do 4/5, 3 minute sprints at 6.8

I'm just wondering if this is something I could/should do daily...every other day?
    trying to bust through some belly fat

Thanks, kim
  • NaiLo
    NaiLo Posts: 39
    Options
    I am definitely going to try this challenge, I started running but I recently starting getting a sharp pain in my shins. My knees are sore as well, I bought really great running shoes but I just can't seem to stop the shin splints. I rested for weeks at a time, iced them but I keep injuring myself. I think that this program will help me stay focused on losing weight, but also help ease my body into a good system. Thank you so much for posting this :)
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Sounds like what i've been doing for the past 2 weeks or so. I've wanted to speed up my weight loss and have been walking 15 min/jogging 15 mintues intermittently. i also walk the hills where i live. It seems to be working, i've been losing a little each week.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I wanted to thank you for posting this the other day. I had a plan in mind that probably would not have worked. I'm doing this twice a day MWF. Even though it feels like torture while I am doing it, I feel really good afterwards. It is amazing how much you can do if you push yourself just a little bit more every time. This is just what I needed to keep me going forward on my journey.

• 00Angela00
    Options
    thanks so much for posting this! I would love to run, bt my endurence is basicly nonexistant. I hope this will work! Running looks fun!
    Hey thin4payton, that's exactly how I am right about there! I used to be able to run miles, than had leg surgery, got married, etc the list goes on and now I can hardly jog! I've been doing level one for about a week and just today moved up to level 2 and can already tell a difference in my endurance (I am doing other work outs besides this) so i really hope this is helpful!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Thanks for posting this
    I've just starting walking/sprinting on the treadmill
    I usually last about 35-40minutes and do 4/5, 3 minute sprints at 6.8

I'm just wondering if this is something I could/should do daily...every other day?
    trying to bust through some belly fat

Thanks, kim

You can do it daily if you're able to or every other day if you feel like you need a rest. It's important to warm up and then stretching BEFORE and AFTER working out so you're not as sore. I'm trying to do it everyday as my cardio
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    starting level two this afternoon at the gym! I'm so excited!!!! It's only 8am and I can't wait to get off work ... oh ... wait, yeah I guess that's normal on a Friday anyway ... but still!
  • Mango731
    Mango731 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just yesterday started my jog/run with my dog. Although he hates the intervals (because we stop and go), he's my partner in keeping me moving! I like the list though that you posted since it will help keep me consistent!:smile:
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    I just yesterday started my jog/run with my dog. Although he hates the intervals (because we stop and go), he's my partner in keeping me moving! I like the list though that you posted since it will help keep me consistent!:smile:

Awesome! Good job!
  • Thin4payton
    Thin4payton Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've been slacking in the exercising department. I really want to start this! It was storming today, so I did a workout DVD. I burned about 500 calories, but really want to get running. I found that I burn so many more calories in the same amount of time. Can't wait for the rain to stop!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    I've been slacking in the exercising department. I really want to start this! It was storming today, so I did a workout DVD. I burned about 500 calories, but really want to get running. I found that I burn so many more calories in the same amount of time. Can't wait for the rain to stop!

This is the first time I've ever done this type of work out and I love it! For one it's gives me a goal, "30 more seconds and then I get to walk!", plus it's so exciting when you get to move onto the next level! haha. I hope it works out for you! I'm on level 3 now and can already tell the difference in my endurance!