Is this normal?

Options
I am a little over two weeks into my lifestyle change and I am experiencing some weird symptoms and wonder if there is anyone else out there who has experienced something similar.

The last few days I have had a scratchy throat with lots of post nasal drip. My nose has also been very runny and now it has turned into congestion. I woke up this morning with a nose bleed. I don't have a fever at all, not achey, I drink TONS of water (usually over a gallon a day not including about a 1/2 gallon of tea). I exercise daily.

Has anyone else ever experienced these symptoms? Am I just pushing myself too much? Is this normal?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    um...the common cold
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    sounds like you have a cold to me....
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    You may be experiencing detoxification. This happens when the body experience a drastic nutritional change. As your body cleanses itself of the harmful toxins from your body, you experience postnasal drip, fatigue, and even bloody noses. Keep at it, but if it goes more than a week, then see a doctor
  • PurpleTomato85
    Options
    It's sounds like a cold. Irritation to the nasal mucosa can cause slight bleeding.
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I dont think this is related to your change in lifestyle...i agree with it being a cold...i actually hold a stomach virus recently and I didnt even feel sick or feverish....sometimes that just happens...id give a few days maybe a week you should feel better :). Congrats on getting healthy, keep it up!
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    um...the common cold

Yeah, I guess it sounds like it but it feels different. I don't know how to describe it but I feel fine (actually great) except for those symptoms. Normally with a cold I'll have a fever or be tired etc. and I'm not experiencing any of that.
  • Shadious
    Shadious Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It really just sounds like you have a cold. A change in eating habits can lower your immune system, as does hard exercise, especially outdoors. Nose bleeds can also be explained by a change in eating habits, as well as dry air, and heavy nasal breathing. I think you are good. Take some vitamin C, iron tablets, or a multivitamin and keep chugging. 13 lbs in two weeks is awesome.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Its a cold. 'Detoxification' is nonsense.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    You may be experiencing detoxification. This happens when the body experience a drastic nutritional change. As your body cleanses itself of the harmful toxins from your body, you experience postnasal drip, fatigue, and even bloody noses. Keep at it, but if it goes more than a week, then see a doctor

I was thinking about this but when I was looking online it seemed like you have to be on a raw diet or similar. But now that I think about it I think the last time I started dieting I started to have similar symptoms and quit my diet right away because I was "sick" (I would have found any excuse most likely)
  • dobenjam
    Options
    It really just sounds like you have a cold. A change in eating habits can lower your immune system, as does hard exercise, especially outdoors. Nose bleeds can also be explained by a change in eating habits, as well as dry air, and heavy nasal breathing. I think you are good. Take some vitamin C, iron tablets, or a multivitamin and keep chugging. 13 lbs in two weeks is awesome.

Thanks, maybe it is a cold and I just feel good because of the changes. I will say I've been drinking fresh veggie juice every day as well as a 2oz wheat grass shot. I"m sure I'm getting all of my vitamins and iron but I'll keep on it. At least for a while, if it keeps up I'll just call the Dr. Thx.
  • missalicia78
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster. The body is constantly "detoxifying" regardless of your lifestyle. That's the primary function of your liver and kidneys, and you don't need a specific detox diet to aid your body in this, you just need to eat properly. You've probably just contracted the cold virus from somewhere.

Just a thought (that I was thinking earlier today)--I'm not a germophobe by any means (I work in a hospital) but, if you're going to the gym, make sure you're washing your hands well after your workout. 'Tis the season for rhinovirus (and other icky viruses), and what better place to pick it up than where people congregate, sweat, blow their noses, occasionally spit? Sorry for the visual, but you get the idea. So yeah. If you're a new gym member, maybe you just picked something up there. Wipe down your machine and wash your hands. ;)
  • oliviaseward
    oliviaseward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i woke up today kind sick with a lot of nasal dripage... i was wondering if i has too drastcally changed everything as well
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Its a cold. 'Detoxification' is nonsense.

Actually, detoxification is not nonsense. I work in the nutritional industry and counsel people on this topic constantly. A drastic change in diet can trigger a defense mechanism in the body, which results in an expellation process known as detoxification.