Overdoing my quads, how do I even out?

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
I'm doing a two-hundred squat challenge, started a walk/jog program, am doing the jillian michaels 30 day shred video AND doing stairs at lunch with my coworkers. All of these are really working my quads, and I'm worried that I'm doing too much quad work and not working the rest of my legs. Any sugestions for something I can do at work instead of stairs? I like the idea of getting cardio in there ...

Replies

• mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    I'm doing a two-hundred squat challenge, started a walk/jog program, am doing the jillian michaels 30 day shred video AND doing stairs at lunch with my coworkers. All of these are really working my quads, and I'm worried that I'm doing too much quad work and not working the rest of my legs. Any sugestions for something I can do at work instead of stairs? I like the idea of getting cardio in there ...

here's something i came up with (don't ask me how :laugh: ) but to even out the legs with some calf work:

stand at the bottom of the stairs, and try to jump to the first steps without bending your knees, position the front part of your foot on the stair, heel off, steady yourself if you need to, and do a calf-raise, then "jump" (again trying not to bend the knees) back down and back up as quickly as possible, with another calf-raise. you can really burn the calves and feel this one.
  • 00Angela00
    Options

here's something i came up with (don't ask me how :laugh: ) but to even out the legs with some calf work:

stand at the bottom of the stairs, and try to jump to the first steps without bending your knees, position the front part of your foot on the stair, heel off, steady yourself if you need to, and do a calf-raise, then "jump" (again trying not to bend the knees) back down and back up as quickly as possible, with another calf-raise. you can really burn the calves and feel this one.

Wow, that sounds awesome! Thanks!:smile:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

I think your walking/jog, and stairs will be working your calves as well. Not sure what the 30 day shred does for legs.

Another workout for calves, standing toe raises. Grab some extra weight,(maybe 20 lbs) use one leg, ex lift left leg cross behind right leg and go up on your right toes and hold it for a 1-2 sec, Do 20, and repeat with other foot.
    Remember to stretch those quads and calves.
  • miasuperstar
    miasuperstar Posts: 112
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is when you build up your quads too much without having strong hamstrings you are at a higher risk of injurgy. I would suggest doing hamstring strength building. ONe easy way is to sit in a rolling chair on a carpet or something that will give a little resistance and walk your legs forward across the room, toes up heals down so the movements goes into your hamstrings. Keep up the good work!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is when you build up your quads too much without having strong hamstrings you are at a higher risk of injurgy. I would suggest doing hamstring strength building. ONe easy way is to sit in a rolling chair on a carpet or something that will give a little resistance and walk your legs forward across the room, toes up heals down so the movements goes into your hamstrings. Keep up the good work!

OMG we just tried this one by going all around our desk and I definately felt it in my quads! haha, that's awesome!
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think doing stairs pretty much engages all your legs muscles, including the calves. I don't know that you would have to add anything extra to get more exercise for your other leg muscles. I konw even doing my eliptical I feel the calf burn by the time I'm done. If you want something extra that doesn't take much time (cuz it sounds like you've got a lot of time taken with what you're already doing), just do some calf raises on breaks at work, or even at your desk. Do some with your toes planted, lifting your heels, and some with your heels planted, lifting your toes. That'll work your shins and your calves. Otherwsie, keep up the goog work! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Why not add a 200 deadlift challenge to that? Ideally, your quad strength will be about 1/3 your hamstring strength. Plus, deadlifts work the back as well as the glutes and hamstrings. Try to keep those squats from getting too quad-dominant by making sure you're sticking out your rear and keeping a wider stance than shoulder-width. Take it from someone who has knee issues from dominating quads--you don't want to do a 200 squat challenge without equally working your hamstrings.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I second the post to make sure you don't neglect your hamstrings! It's very easy to overdevelop your quads and especially in women, that's just asking for injury!
    A couple good hamstring exercises are hamstring curls...either on a machine at the gym, or attach a band to something sturdy and curl in, or curl with a dumbbell between your feet.
    Also, (I hate this one, but it makes me realize how weak my hamstrings are!) lay on your back with your feet on an exercise ball ~ just your feet, no leg~ lift your tush off the ground so you're making a straight line from feet to shoulders, then curl that ball in, extend, repeat. Just holding the position gives you a good burn also. You can also do it without a ball, just plant your feet on the ground and bridge your pelvis up (weight is on feet and shoulders) hold for 30-60 seconds and when that gets easy, put one leg up straight and hold yourself with one leg at a time.
    Hamstrings do get worked with lunges, squats,stairs,etc, but it's really a good idea to do isolation exercises for them as well. The quads can easily take over too much of the workload when performing compound exercises.
    Good luck! Now I'm off to take my own advice and do some of these exercises! :wink:

Becky
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Why not add a 200 deadlift challenge to that? Ideally, your quad strength will be about 1/3 your hamstring strength. Plus, deadlifts work the back as well as the glutes and hamstrings. Try to keep those squats from getting too quad-dominant by making sure you're sticking out your rear and keeping a wider stance than shoulder-width. Take it from someone who has knee issues from dominating quads--you don't want to do a 200 squat challenge without equally working your hamstrings.

cheater, you stole my though! I was just gonna say, make sure you work the hammi's too. And then I was gonna say, hamstring curls, and deadlifts (walking lunges work too, but ...):tongue:
  • 00Angela00
    Options

What are deadlifts? I'm looking for stuff I can do at work, is this something that we could do at lunch?
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options

I am having a hard time trying to keep up with the two-hundred squat challenge. I do a fat-burning dvd M-W-F, and they do a lot of squats, lunges, reverse lunges etc., and by the time I'm done my legs don't want to do any more squats for the challenge. I can really feel it in my leg/butt area, so I know it is helping, but I wanted to do the two-hundred squat challenge too:ohwell:

I think I do the deadlift while doing squats on the dvd. You do a squat and then instead of just standing up, you lift up onto your toes to work the other muscles, then do another squat, and keep doing them. (I don't know if that made any sense, or if there is another deadlift, but I think that is what they call it in the dvd) :smile: