Half an hour a day????

Options
I work 8am until 7pm and find it hard to get up earlier in the morning and go to gym after work...

So I am doing half an hour on my lunch break and burning around 400 cals

Do you think this is long enough and if I keep this up will I notice change in my body???

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yep, they say that 30 minutes a day is sufficient to improve fitness.
  • SkinnyScouser
    Options
    i blumming hope so xx
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The American College of Sports Medicine recommends a minimum of 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, or 150 minutes a week for weight maintenance and fitness improvements, but that may not be enough for weight loss. The recommendation for weight loss is 300 minutes a week. Some people see weight improvements in less then that and some it takes more. I would recommend doing a longer workout on the weekend when you have more time so that you are getting between the 150 and 300 minutes and see how your body responds. Hopefully, you'll be one of the people who have great success with what your schedule allows.
  • SkinnyScouser
    Options
    on my days off work .. i obviously do about an hour

just at the min.. i seem to be spending everyday of my life here x
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am confused about this then. If the recommended exercise is in minutes, how is intensity taken into account? I could walk for an hour and not burn the same amount as 20 mins of hiit workouts.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I am confused about this then. If the recommended exercise is in minutes, how is intensity taken into account? I could walk for an hour and not burn the same amount as 20 mins of hiit workouts.

The recommendation I listed is for moderate intensity exercise, which is what most people average. If you are doing strictly vigorous intensity exercise, then the recommendation is a minimum of 75 minutes a week.
  • SkinnyScouser
    Options
    i normally go on the cross trainer for 30 mins buring 400 cals?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I work 8am until 7pm and find it hard to get up earlier in the morning and go to gym after work...

So I am doing half an hour on my lunch break and burning around 400 cals

Do you think this is long enough and if I keep this up will I notice change in my body???

Yes, it surely will.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I agree.

Look the easiest way to look at it is if maintaining, calories in -v- calories out should basically balance out evenly.

If trying to lose weight, take in less calories than you use up daily.

If trying to put on weight take in more calories than you use up daily.

Personally, I have only ever trained roughly 180 minutes per week, both whilst trying to lose weight and when I have maintained in the past, never had any problems with it to be honest.
  • leestanley3
    leestanley3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    definately, the thing also to look at is the increase in the intensity on a weekely basis. As you only have 30 mins keep adding a 2% increase in the speed or the gradient or the number of reps or the weight. If you record on MFP you will see you are getting fitter as well as toning up.

Hope this helps.
  • SkinnyScouser
    Options
    thanks xx