Feeling Disheartened..

Options
Just got back from a session with a personal trainer and I still havent lost a lb ! This will be week 3 now and I've been working out with her, skipping , running, resistance training, changed my diet, eating less, drinking less and generally changed my entire lifestyle as required......

She explains this away as my body is still trying to recover from having a baby ( 18 weeks ag) but it doesnt stop me from feeling like eating a HUUUGEE cake... HELP!

Replies

• eoney
    eoney Posts: 35
    Options
    Having a baby within the last few months absolutely messes with your body's normal metabolism...so does radically changing your lifestyle, even if it is with healthy changes. Give your body time to adjust and catch up to its new outlook. Also, is it possibly that you've reduced your caloric intake TOO drastically? The body can very often take that as a red flag that it's in starvation mode, which causes it to slow down your metabolism for survival purposes (i.e. maintain necessary reserves). Aside from the scale not budging, how do you FEEL? Are you noticing better sleep and moods? Are workouts getting less painful and/or is it starting to feel "off" when you DON'T workout as opposed to when you do? These are all really great indicators of progress that the scale just doesn't reflect. Sticking with a change like this for 3 weeks is DEFINITELY something to feel proud about!
  • TracyP111
    Options
    I've had the same cravings too. (A retirement party for someone at work nearly killed me this week.) When I had gestational diabetes, I found that after a week or so of moderating my carbs and taking in protein and veggies, that my cravings for the "bad" lessened. I still had the occasional treat, but I didn't allow myself to overindulge. Maybe you just need to modify the "types" of food?? Having said that, hormones probably have something to do with it too. Are you still breastfeeding? If so, that can keep you in post-partum paradise even longer. (I gave up after three days because of a pelvic disorder caused by too much relaxin. Once I stopped breastfeeding, my hormones started to regulate a bit. They're still not completely back to normal, but better.) Another thing that might be messing you up.....lack of sleep. If you're not getting enough sleep, it can definitely play with your ability to lose weight. I read an article on it a couple of years ago, and now that I have my 10-week-old, it springs to mind. Just don't give up. The exercise is doing you some good. (Measure your inches to track progress, too!) If nothing else, maybe it's giving you more energy to keep up with your little one. Hang in there.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Until I was 40 I did not understand my body

Every time I tried a diet I would actually gain 5 pounds

My body tends to build a lot of muscle, which I did not understand, it was only when I said I am doing this as a lifestyle change did I notice that eventually I do lose

For me clothing size is what I have to go by

I have only lost 3 pounds since last year, people think I have lost 15, I am also short at 5'2

Point is do this for your self your body will take your cue

Hugs