Seeking weight training friends!

Options
I've just finished my fourth weight training session. I'd love to add some friends interested in weight training and would welcome feedback, if anyone cares to look at my workouts. I have one logged today.

My goals are to lose some fat and add muscle. Hope I can do both simultaneously for a little while, that I fall under the category of the untrained. Or at least preserve lean body mass while losing fat. I am eating in a modest deficit and trying to increase my protein intake!

Please add me or let me know that I can add you if you'd like!

Replies

• mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I love weight training too and always up for more buddies to share foodstuffs and routines with :) Have sent you a request.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey there - you can add me if you want. I am in the process of losing weight and getting back to my pre-baby body. I love lifting. And yes you can lose wieght and get muscles. You may not see the muscle because of the fat, but you will be able to feel it. :happy:
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you!
  • summer827
    Options
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'd love it if you would add me...mostly because I just need the advice. I feel totally stupid about weight training, but I know I need to do more. Generally at the gym I just run or do a class and then do a few added weight machines. I need to make it a focus of some days. I will continue to focus on the cardio, mainly because I'm training for a half marathon, but I'd love some advice on really working in weights.
  • Saftlad
    Saftlad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My advice as a Personal Trainer would be to concentrate on building muscle first, then reduce the body-fat afterwards. Unfortunately, your body is unable (or at least extremely unlikely) to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. You build muscle by having a calorie excess, which is contrary to losing body-fat. What you will find is that as you build more lean muscle, it will naturally burn more fat anyway.

This muscle-building phase is also useful to get your lifestyle absolutely nailed so that you are eating the right proportions of food, and drinking enough fluids and getting rest. Then, when you are ready to start the fat-burning stage, you can reduce the amount of weights lifted to a maintenance level and increase the number of reps you are doing, and use both the muscle and your diet to maintain lean muscle whilst burning the excess fats.

That's the way I work it with my clients with positive results.
  • summer827
    Options
    Thanks, Saftlad, for your input. As it happens, I've come to the conclusion that I need to be doing one or the other! I don't want to do this work for nothing so I have upped my calorie goal.