Ankle troubles...Can you help me??

Options
So, I've been running/walking on my treadmill for the last few weeks at about 3-4.5mph. Sometime last week i noticed that my right ankle was swollen and very tender to the touch on the inside portion of my ankle and leg above the ankle. It doesn't hurt to walk on it, run on it, do jumping jacks, etc. It only hurts when I physically touch it, sort of like a bruise, but no visual signs of bruising.

I have given the treadmill a rest for the past few days to see if the ankle would repair itself, but no such luck. I ran tonight and had no pain at all.

I really don't want to stop exercising!! Any thoughts on what could be the problem or what I should do?? I'm kind of ones of those, if my guts are not visible on the outside of my body, I'm not going to the dr.

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    If the activity doesn't hurt or make it worse, I would continue. Obviously it is not the treadmill that hurt it.

Elevate it, put ice on it, take some ibuprofen, and give it some time. You probably hit it on something or stepped off a curb funny and didn't even realize it.

Pam (not a dr!)
  • tara_1109
    tara_1109 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, Pam. Keep exercising is what I wanted to hear!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    well pain is an indication that "something" is not right. what i don't know. i have wrapped and taped my ankle while running and done some type of ankle exercises every day. do a search on the internet for ankle exercises. strengthening the feet may also help.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    The thing I would be concerned about is a blood clot. I'm not sure of all the symptoms of a blood clot, but that was something I thought of when I read your post. If you have something go wrong, nothing helps it, you might consider a trip to the doctor. Blood clots can be lethal.

How about a spider bite? Or some other insect? Is the skin intact?

All that said, I really don't know what I'm talking about. Was trying to think if it is unrelated to the things that would cause pain, what could it be? I think with something like that a visit to your doctor might be in order.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing, but on the outside of my ankle. It didn't hurt when walking or running, only when I touched the area. It felt like a bruise. Until one day about three weeks ago when I got back from a two mile run, and it hurt a lot. Took a week off from running, had no improvement and got it checked. It ended up being a stress fracture of the fibula. I've been in a brace for two weeks with a lot of restrictions, and another couple weeks to go.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    See a doctor before proceeding. Pain always indicates something wrong. Whether it's serious or not depends, but it seems clear that your activity is causing the swelling.

Get it looked at.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    See a doctor before proceeding. Pain always indicates something wrong. Whether it's serious or not depends, but it seems clear that your activity is causing the swelling.

Get it looked at.

^
    This. You only get one body, take care of it.
  • tara_1109
    tara_1109 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm going to watch it closely until after the MLK holiday. If it is not better by Tuesday, I suppose I'll go to the doc. I knew you guys would have some great input!