Can't get on board with eating MORE calories...

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The moral of the story is to have a good base of calories to work from then subtract with training.
    Its better to have a fully functional metabolism to lose weight than to restrict cals to an extent that kills the metabolism.
  • linskeyr
    linskeyr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Hi,

I've been overweight the past 15 or so years. I'm really dedicated to losing now but I'm having a hard time with the whole calories thing. I know losing is a simple equation of calories in/calories out. That's why I can't figure out this whole, "eat more to lose more" thing. Is it true? Has anyone seen it work? I have been keeping to 1200 cal/day and haven't lost much. MFP says I should be eating more like 1500. I'm nervous to try more calories for fear of gaining. I have been diagnosed with PCOS which means at this point gaining is extra easy and losing is extra hard.

I guess I'm just looking for some support on the higher calorie thing.

Thanks for listening to me ramble...

-Beth

I know it seems very counter-intuitive...however, if you don't consume adequate calories (are you doing physical exercise too?), your body will believe it is starving-and do everything it can to hold onto subcutaneous and visceral fat (fat under the skin and fat around your internal organs)-kind of like a bear hibernating in winter.

My sisters are athletes (marathoners and triathelets)...you should see their calorie requirements for the day-it's crazy.

Your body needs adequate fuel to burn fat. :) No worries-if it says 1500, shoot for 1500-it can't be worse than where you are now since you said you're not losing.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    You have to eat to be lean - its what you eat that matters. split your meals into five or six times a day at a minimum. proteins veggies low glycemic good carbs, eat your calorie count and watch that scale move down Period. Yes it does work, Google thermodynamics of food, and read. I lost 120 pounds doing this so im pretty sure it works!!
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Word of caution-it is a bit easier for men to lose weight than women...unfortunate but very true. Curse your fast metabolisms ;)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Others have covered the calories bit.. just thought I'd mention that since you're PCOS you might benefit from keeping tight control over non-fruit/veg carb intake - ie sugar, bread, pasta, etc. Look into it. Good luck.
  • Foxywake
    Foxywake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I too could not get my head around this concept; I was stuck for ages without losing so upped my calorie intake to offset the calories burned through exercise and have definitely kick started my loss again. Keep positive and give it a try......
  • Blenders75
    Blenders75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out is secondary. First, you need to get your hormones in the right order (lower insulin). People with PCOS are notorious for having some sort of insulin resistances (high insulin). Low carb diet will help greatly with that. See if you can lose on low carb first, then adjust your calories (up or down) accordingly to lose faster (if needed).
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I know losing is a simple equation of calories in/calories out.

This is the kind of statement that doesn't carry a lot of weight around here. If that were the case we would all be skinny beatches right?

There is much more to sutstained weight loss than that.

Not really. It's just calories in vs calories out. Eat more than you burn, gain weight. Burn more than you eat, lose weight. It's not complicated. Now, fat loss is a bit more complicated than just weight loss, but even then, it's just burn more calories than you eat, just don't burn too much more than you eat, in order to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss.

It truly is a bit more complicated than that. If what you were say was the case, then anyone eating a 1200 calorie diet would lost weight. It's really based on your bodies requirement for fuel and energy. For example, I was eating 1800 calories and did P90X for 90 days. I didn't lose a lb, inch or any body fat. I upped my calories to 2600 and did 90 days of CLX and lost 5 lbs, 3% body fat and 6". So sometimes it isn't as simple as burn more than you take in. Also, take into consideration this person has PCOS which comes with an intolerance to carbs. So even if you are under your TDEE in terms of calories, the carbs will turn into fat quickly and prevents weight loss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    None of that changes the fact that it's based on calories in vs calories out. Also, PCOS does not cause carbs to instantly become fat, that's not how insulin resistance works. Insulin resistance also changes the entire metabolic equation by wreaking havoc on a person's metabolism. It's still calories in vs calories out. If hormones slow your metabolism due to a conservation response from long term calorie restriction, it doesn't mean that calories in vs calories out doesn't apply, it just means calories out are lower than expected. Then when you spike your intake, and the hormones reset your metabolism to a higher level, you then eat more while burning more.

Bottom line, it's always calories in vs calories out, even factoring in different circumstances.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    None of that changes the fact that it's based on calories in vs calories out. Also, PCOS does not cause carbs to instantly become fat, that's not how insulin resistance works. Insulin resistance also changes the entire metabolic equation by wreaking havoc on a person's metabolism. It's still calories in vs calories out. If hormones slow your metabolism due to a conservation response from long term calorie restriction, it doesn't mean that calories in vs calories out doesn't apply, it just means calories out are lower than expected. Then when you spike your intake, and the hormones reset your metabolism to a higher level, you then eat more while burning more.

Bottom line, it's always calories in vs calories out, even factoring in different circumstances.

I guess what I should have stressed is too many calories out can cause conservation of those calories which prevents weight loss.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I like Tigersword. Great info! Always learning when you are around.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

THIS IS CORRECT

Conservation of Energy is not just a good idea... ITS THE LAW!
  • meee398
    meee398 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to maintain a 2,000 calorie deficit per day. I reduced my calorie intake to 1,200 to 1,250 and increased exercise over a 4 week period to get to this point. I use a Fitbit to measure my calorie burn.

I have kept track of my calorie deficit and my weight loss so far has been consistent with the basic calories in/calories out formula. It has only been 6 weeks, so if this stops working, I will, taking the advice of many MFP members, increase my calorie intake.

I primarily eat quality foods to make sure I get the nutrients I need. I will eat more if I am really hungry, usually my stomach growls.

I can't understand how I would benefit from eating more calories when they would probably be snacks...Items with little or no nutritional value and ingredients that may hinder weight loss.
  • Jnt1979
    Jnt1979 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was also nervous! But since bumping up to 1600-1800 calories a day...I have lost 7 lbs in almost 3 weeks! It's def better for you!

good luck!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    From last Saturday to this past Sunday, my average daily intake was 2400 calories.
    I lost 2.2 lbs without exercise.
    Obviously, I'm still at a deficit or else I wouldn't have lost anything.

It's such a great feeling knowing that I can lose weight without severely restricting my calories.
    I feel more energetic, sleep more soundly and longer and I look healthier too.
    There's no going back for me.

You don't have to ramp it up all at once.
    You can take baby steps and see how your body reacts.