Percentage of nutrients in diet

Options
Hi

I'm embarking on a 12 week exercise and healthy eating regime - and will extend beyond of course - My Gym adviser says 1500 cal is what I should aim for, and I know I'll lose weight on this. I plan to eat mostly only naturally occurring foods, this will involve fruits which does have a high sugar property - however, I understand that sugar is okay if it is naturally occurring? And I am drinking between 2.5 to 4 ltrs water a day.

My question is, for a 56 year woman going to the gym for at least one hour 5 days a week, including some classes of pilates, zumba and spinning, with 3-4 stone to lose over time eventually - hopefully 20 to 24 pounds in the first 12 weeks - what percentages of the following do you think I should aim for? Obviously the App gives a guide which is generic, but any informed views would be most welcome.
Sugar, fibre, fat, protein and carbs.
Many thanks.

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I like the recommendations for health (biased because I'm a dietitian I know!). That's 15-20% calories from protein (although if you are on a strict calorie deficit it may need to be more than this - should be about 1g/kg ideal body weight minimum), 30% fat, 50-55% carbohydrates. Sugar, I wouldn't worry about although I would try to eat more 'food' and less 'junk' if that makes sense, while still including a few treats here and there. 25-35g fibre. Hope that helps.
  • jsmorgan
    jsmorgan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks MissFoodie

I respect what you say as a Dietitian, so you would advocate resetting to the default, but not worrying about the natural sugar in fruits? I don't plan to "eat" my exercise cals earned, but plan to stick at 1500 cals per day - ie manually set the target up to 1500 as it is telling me 1300. Have I understood you correctly? and I do appreciate your answers.