Eating out Healthy

Options
I am leaving town tomorrow morning for a funeral, and I know the main places we will stop for food will be fast food.. How do I eat at these places without blowing everything out of the water?

Replies

• doogiehugger
    Options
    eat salads and subway..that is the best
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Look up the restaurants you will likely be stopping at & check out their menu nutritional values. That always helps me know what menu items to avoid and which ones are lower in calories. Sometimes I just eat half - maybe split it with someone else in the family. Drink water or plain iced tea - skip the sodas. And keep healthy snacks in the car so you're not starving when you get to a burger place and tempted to go overboard with a huge double cheeseburger and large fry & a milkshake! We like to take fruit, cheese sticks, beef jerky and lots of water to keep us satisfied between tops on road trips.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Most major chains have a nutrition information page or a nutrition calculator. If possible before you go to eat, pick something from the menu and look up the item's calories and what not. If the food's nutrition values are too high, see if you can make adjustments. For example, if a salad is served with croutons or cheese, omitting either or both should bring down the calories. For a sandwich skip the special sauce or mayonaise, Mustard is better.

Most restaurant food is loaded with sodium. Drink plenty of water to flush it out of your system.
  • cinderkitty84
    cinderkitty84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Look up the restaurants you will likely be stopping at & check out their menu nutritional values. That always helps me know what menu items to avoid and which ones are lower in calories. Sometimes I just eat half - maybe split it with someone else in the family. Drink water or plain iced tea - skip the sodas. And keep healthy snacks in the car so you're not starving when you get to a burger place and tempted to go overboard with a huge double cheeseburger and large fry & a milkshake! We like to take fruit, cheese sticks, beef jerky and lots of water to keep us satisfied between tops on road trips.

LOL I love how you narrowed it down for me with the double cheese burger and all. Fortunately I am not a huge ice cream/milkshake fan, but I do love me a nice juicy hamburger. I know mcdonalds has pretty decent salads too. I will have to look up the restaurants and see what the best is.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You can also plan ahead and bring food with you for your trip. Keep a cooler in the car and have healthy snacks available to you instead of the fast food or to help supplement it. An example would be to get one cheeseburger and have an apple or something from your cooler. It will help keep you from going completely off your diet.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Look up the restaurants you will likely be stopping at & check out their menu nutritional values. That always helps me know what menu items to avoid and which ones are lower in calories. Sometimes I just eat half - maybe split it with someone else in the family. Drink water or plain iced tea - skip the sodas. And keep healthy snacks in the car so you're not starving when you get to a burger place and tempted to go overboard with a huge double cheeseburger and large fry & a milkshake! We like to take fruit, cheese sticks, beef jerky and lots of water to keep us satisfied between stops on road trips.

LOL I love how you narrowed it down for me with the double cheese burger and all. Fortunately I am not a huge ice cream/milkshake fan, but I do love me a nice juicy hamburger. I know mcdonalds has pretty decent salads too. I will have to look up the restaurants and see what the best is.
    I'm a burger fanatic too - In-N-Out Burger is a total weakness for me! I was just going by what tempts me - we must be a lot alike! ;)
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. If you know which fast food choice you will probably go to, go to their website and write down all the different menu choices that are low calorie. Actually it probably isn't a bad thing to have that kind of information on hand for even sit down restaurants. I may have just gave myself an idea. :)
  • cinderkitty84
    cinderkitty84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Look up the restaurants you will likely be stopping at & check out their menu nutritional values. That always helps me know what menu items to avoid and which ones are lower in calories. Sometimes I just eat half - maybe split it with someone else in the family. Drink water or plain iced tea - skip the sodas. And keep healthy snacks in the car so you're not starving when you get to a burger place and tempted to go overboard with a huge double cheeseburger and large fry & a milkshake! We like to take fruit, cheese sticks, beef jerky and lots of water to keep us satisfied between stops on road trips.

I'm a burger fanatic too - In-N-Out Burger is a total weakness for me! I was just going by what tempts me - we must be a lot alike! ;)

I have never tried an In-N-Out Burger but I hear they are awesome! (there isn't one near us).. I am pretty confident I can do this.. :) I am going with my parents and they don't even know or care what the word diet means.. lol