Primal/Paleo Diet?

Options
I've been researching for about a week not so much on "diets" but on totally overhauling the way that I eat. I have researched more heavily on the Eat Clean diet as well as the Paleo diet. I am leaning very heavily toward committing to the Paleo lifestyle and would like some feedback on folks that do this and hopefully some Paleo pals to help me along the path.

I'm 44 and live in Georgia. I need to lose 90 to 100 pounds.

Thanks ! :)

Replies

• just_a_southern_belle
    Options
    bump
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    I don't have the time to look this lifestyle eating habit up, but I will come back to your post a little later and give you my opinion/what I have seen. :flowerforyou:
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I just eat as clean as possible. I'm not perfect (had a 1/2 of canned biscuit last night) BUT I logged it. I try to stay away from processed. I'm staying away from the fat free stuff because my body needs good fats. I'm learning every day, new things that in the past was wrong thinking. I found "THE DANIEL PLAN" and although I'm not following it completely under the "start" there is a video "clean out your pantry" and it was a HUGE eye opener for me.

Will I ever touch a powdered donut hole again?? Yes, probably.

I'm not perfect, nor do I claim to be but eating fresher is working for me and my body right now.

Good for you in what ever direction you go in.
  • just_a_southern_belle
    Options
    Thanks! I am sure I won't follow the Paleo diet in it's strictest form but my husband's doctor wanted him to go gluten free and I have been reading a while about how all the processed foods and grains we eat aren't good for us and can sabotage our health and efforts to lose weight. I looked into the eat clean diet but it relies a lot on grains which I want to eliminate so that's how I gravitated toward the Paleo diet. I'll check out the Daniel Plan and see what additional information it can offer me. :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am sure I won't follow the Paleo diet in it's strictest form but my husband's doctor wanted him to go gluten free and I have been reading a while about how all the processed foods and grains we eat aren't good for us and can sabotage our health and efforts to lose weight. I looked into the eat clean diet but it relies a lot on grains which I want to eliminate so that's how I gravitated toward the Paleo diet. I'll check out the Daniel Plan and see what additional information it can offer me. :)

Come over to our group "Low Carber Daily Forum".. Paleos are more than welcome...Im one of the moderators over there.. we have a great group of people, no judgement and no bullschnickity... 8-)
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/37-primal-paleo-support-group

Here is a paleo group, come on over and join the fun
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I had started out saying I was not going to follow it in the strictest form............However, my body had other plans. I started noticing the way my body reacted to foods and such and I am no longer torturing myself with foods that are not good for me and make me feel ill.

So, I have started getting strictre and stricter and it is filtering over into other areas of my life, such as being much more environmental conscience, tracing where my food comes from, composting, growing my own food, etc............
  • cramernh
    Options
    So, I have started getting strictre and stricter and it is filtering over into other areas of my life, such as being much more environmental conscience, tracing where my food comes from, composting, growing my own food, etc............
    [/quote]

I cant wait until Spring here in New Hampshire... I grow over 14 varieties of tomatoes, 10 varieties of peppers, three types of cucumbers, fresh herbs up the ying-yang.... I had some sexy Black Russians so huge, that a slice filled an omelet for TWO PEOPLE.... OHHHHH baby!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I cant wait until Spring here in New Hampshire... I grow over 14 varieties of tomatoes, 10 varieties of peppers, three types of cucumbers, fresh herbs up the ying-yang.... I had some sexy Black Russians so huge, that a slice filled an omelet for TWO PEOPLE.... OHHHHH baby!

Awesome!!!
  • just_a_southern_belle
    Options

[/quote]

We want to grow a garden but can 't find a suitable place in our yard that will get enough sunlight. We live in an older home with large mature trees
  • cramernh
    Options

We want to grow a garden but can 't find a suitable place in our yard that will get enough sunlight. We live in an older home with large mature trees

Big industrial sized buckets...poke a few holes on the bottom if you need to and move them around to get optimal sun exposure... I have several buckets that I fill every year and its easier to transport them and adjust position as we transition into warmer spring days...
    And - its a great way to keep animals out of what you are trying to grow too!
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Search in groups using paleo and primal, you will find a few groups there
  • bsalis76
    Options
    I think the Paleo Diet has a lot of merit.

However, I think it's very hard to follow, and I don't think you really need a drastic reduction carbs to get the benefit.

Personally i'm just focusing on eating healthy whole foods. Avoiding carbs where possible. Making veg & meat my staple.