I am so lost...

Options
I am getting so irritated...I started exercising Jan 2, 2012 and weighed in @ 195. By Jan 9 got down to 193 this was before I started this site and really exercising with more intensity and more minuets. When I got on the scale today and it said 196 it goes up 0.5 lbs a day look like (just checking to see if I am losing something every other day). I officially weight tomorrow to post for progress. I know you gain muscle before losing weight ,but dang how much muscle will I gain before the weight start to go away. This sucks, this is how I end up giving up, because the scale does not show me how my hard work pays off. I am gonna try and stick to it, but I don't know what to do......

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Read this -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie&page=1#posts-4730712

Keep at it. The scale is the least effective measure of your progress. If the scale is causing you to want to give up, why not put it away for a few weeks and go by how your clothes fit, photos or measurements.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    On top of that, are you measuring everything, logging everything? Where are you getting your calories burned suggestion, from a heart rate monitor or MFP?
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I agree. Throw the damn scale away, it does nothing! It's more hurtful than useful. Take down the measurements for your arms, thighs, waist, hips, chest, neck, and calves... work your *kitten* off for one full month, diet AND exercise, and check those measurements again. If you must, weigh once a month at the most, that way you aren't disappointed with misleading daily fluctuations. I assure you that after a month of diet and exercise and NO weighing on the scale, you'll be motivated to finish the month to see how well you've progressed - in INCHES. =) And you'll do great! Just keep your head up and keep goin'!

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • MissMeshia81
    MissMeshia81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am measuring everything, and logging everything. As far as the calories burned when I am at the gym I use the heart rate monitor and the machines. When I am at home logging in what I do I use MFP, maybe I should leave the scale alone and just touch it once a week for tracking my progress weekly, but its so hard to do, when its right there in your face. Thanks, I am going to have to try it...
  • smiles4support
    Options
    In my experience...I lost inches before pounds. Don't give up...give it time, it'll happen!
  • MissMeshia81
    MissMeshia81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks I sure needed that..
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I too lost inches before I started losing the pounds. I would put the scale away for a bit. Perhaps weight yourself every two weeks instead of every week...and defintely don't way yourself everyday...that is the recipe for insanity.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Trust me, I understand the lure of the scale. I am a slave to it as well. But I do keep reminding myself of the progress I have made and that I can see, so I don't let it side track me.
  • shwiley40
    Options
    Stay off the scaLE for a minute and stop relying on that number.....oh everyone said that already! Just stay focused girl, we want instant gratification and it just doesn't happen like that. sounds like you are doing everything the right way so just keep at it.
  • cherishmarie74
    cherishmarie74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to put the scale away! But it's true, the scale is only numbers, and muscle weighs more then fat. Try to stay focused on yoru goals and how you are feeling and looking and not the numbers on the scale! Good luck! You can do it!
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    Hi! Try not to be discouraged. Enjoy the process of using your body while exercising. Enjoy the feeling of power over the food in the choices you make! Take it one meal at a time one workout at a time. This is about you getting control and feeling great! Just let yourself do it. You will FEEL the difference even if it takes a while for the scale to catch up. Good luck, blessings to you.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I bet you're getting more toned though if you look.. maybe focus on that instead of that number at least for now. :flowerforyou:
  • dmustlose
    Options
    you must drink more more more water. try it.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You may be heavier because of the sodium in your diet or you are retaining fluid because of your increase in exercise.
    Muscles retain fluid for repair
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention your diet at all in your post. Changing your body is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I actually lost my first 90 lbs by diet alone, no exercise. Not recommending...just sayin. The food is the bigger part of the equation.
  • SuddenlyPickles
    Options
    Read this -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie&page=1#posts-4730712

Keep at it. The scale is the least effective measure of your progress. If the scale is causing you to want to give up, why not put it away for a few weeks and go by how your clothes fit, photos or measurements.

Fantastic post! Thank you.

I was curious (and a bit amused) as to how and why my daily weight has been fluctuating a solid 4 - 6 pounds over the past month or so... This certainly helps explain it.
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh your self everyday, our weight flucuates with fluid retention, etc....pick one day a week while you are trying to lose...only weigh more frequently when you are maintaining....I have heard this over and over again!
  • Bomber989
    Options
    Thanks for the link...that was a very informative read.
  • jswayze67
    jswayze67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am measuring everything, and logging everything. As far as the calories burned when I am at the gym I use the heart rate monitor and the machines. When I am at home logging in what I do I use MFP, maybe I should leave the scale alone and just touch it once a week for tracking my progress weekly, but its so hard to do, when its right there in your face. Thanks, I am going to have to try it...

One thing you are told at any diet club etc is weigh in once a week at the most - your body holds different levels of water, your hormones can affect your water retention etc etc.. NEVER weigh in more than once a week, it really isn't worth it and tells you nothing. If you have a partner, ask them to put the scales somewhere and not to tell you where but to just get them out for you once a week. If not, put your scales away and use public ones if you have any locally, just the once a week, takes more effort that way! And another thing, so what if you gain for a couple of weeks? You know you are doing everything right so WILL see results in time. Don't expect short term miracles, most of us are in this for the long haul lol. Good luck and keep at it, it'll be worth it in the end!!
  • Bomber989
    Options
    Read this -

Kind of new to this as I had tried earlier to thank you for the link. This was a very good read.