I am so lost...

Options
2»

Replies

• creeperlegume
    creeperlegume Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I worked my *kitten* off for a week with little lbs. lost and then didn't work out as much the next week (while staying in my calorie range) and had double the loss. As long as you're staying on track and doing what you're supposed to be doing, it all evens out in the end. Stay strong and use us for support when you feel like quitting. That's what we're here for!

Have a great weekend!
  • Christinemary6
    Christinemary6 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Keep on doing what you are doing....if this were easy, then this site wouldn't be necessary! I HATE exercise and do none other than walking (with crutches at the moment as I recover from surgery) but I do as much walking as I can. This is NOT to lose weight...exercise doesn't help you do that, but to get myself feeling more fit. Feeling fit helps lift your mood and helps your staying power stay longer!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    It takes a looong time to gain muscle - more likely the weight gain is water - either through high sodium or hormonal changes (it is normal to retain a few pounds of water before your menstrual cycle).

Most people cannot lose fat and gain muscle together as it takes many, many calories to BUILD a pound of muscle. Most people focus on fat loss first, through calorie restrcition and then will focus on a "clean bulk" to add back muscle mass after they lose weight.

Try to eat lots of protein to maintain your muscle mass as you lose weight and eating lots of fiber will help keep you full, push food on through, and slow down sugar absorption.

And yes, throw out the scale. Get some measuring tape.

Good luck and stick with it - it's so easy to be discouraged in the beginning - you didn't get here overnight - this won't be a quick fix but if you change your habits slowly and permanently you will create a new you!
  • balzewoman
    Options
    I agre with the previous posts. Don't look at the scale as much as how you feel. I, too, lost a lot of weight with diet alone before exercising. Revisit the fats and carbs. I also discovered that on the weeks I ate red meat, I did not lose weight. This is an educational experience for everyone. Using the diaries can help you learn what your body can and cannot tolerate well. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! It will happen if you just keep going. We are here to support you. Good luck!
  • eg140
    eg140 Posts: 8
    Options
    I can't help it I weigh myself every day in the morning. But I realize my weight is going to fluctuate day to day it could be up a few pounds or down 1 pound. But the overall trend is my weight is heading down. Over a 2 month period I have lost 16 lb's. As another poster said drink lots of water. I find the mornings I weigh myself where I have lost the most is after a day I had my 8 glasses or more of water. And the days I seem to have gained is after days I may have had more sodium based foods (so retaining water). As someone else on the forums said if you must weigh often than plot the results and it should have a negative slope over time, if you are eating at a calorie deficit and getting enough water. Remeber if you are set to lose 1 lb a week that is just ~2.3 ounces a day. It is easy to not detect that weight loss if you have something to drink or a meal during the day.
  • kodigirl17
    kodigirl17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I joined the gym and startesd doing more intense cardio I also gained weight. I think I ended up gaining 4 pounds of what I had lost before I actually started seeing weight loss. I've had to "play" with my intake of different things to find the correct combo for myself. For me, I need to drink more water, and keep my sodium intake down. I have also realized that keeping my setting set to lose 1.5 pounds a week works best for me.
    Keep at it, it will take time to truly figure out what works for you. It's different for everyone.

2493517.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am having the exact same issue so I was glad to see all this this morning.
  • shikia
    shikia Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't get discouraged!!! That number could be from a number of things (ie menstrual cycle, lack of bowel movement).. So dont let that number deter you. Continue doing what you have been doing!!!
  • lindabarnett25
    Options
    Dont depend on the scale my friend. TIME is what we have to go by. I know I have been there too. Working my butt off and seeing no results. Just give it some time. If you dont hang in here, you will never know. Please just keep on board.
  • SeekingKarma
    SeekingKarma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on here! I had to stop myself from weighing myself everyday. All that matters is how you feel and what your measurements are.

Scales have a lot of factors that could skew your total (water retention, constipation, gas, broken, etc.)

It's wrong to let the scale determine your input on your journey so GET RID OF IT! Concentrate on losing inches and see how your clothes fit.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Hello there dear,

Please see below link for an excellent article on the scale and you. Excellent article. Do not let the scale rule your moods and your success. The scale is only a tool. Hope below link helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/140567-your-scale-and-you?hl=weigh+everyday+mollie#posts-1917865