Spike Day water weight gain

Options
I know there are quite a few new people spiking today, so I just wanted to make sure this was clear before you step on a scale and send me death threats.
When you Spike you do gain weight, it varies between 1-4lbs, but it's a good thing, it's why leptin rebounds and starvation mode goes away.
The energy stored is not fat! It's glycogen. Glycogen is stored first when we have excess energy, and fat is stored after those stores are full.
Glycogen is one of the most important factors to getting fit, and I wrote about this in more detail on my blog:
http://spikediet.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-bad-day-will-not-make-you-gain-fat.html

So if you step on scale, just know that the weight gained is glycogen, and water. We store about 3 grams of water for each gram of glycogen. The extra water weight is usually gone in 2-3 days, and by the end of the week most people lose an extra 2-3lbs.

Replies

• grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    :D thanks russ
  • Domjr
    Domjr Posts: 7
    Options
    thank you for this post, i have to learn that the scale is only one visual form of weight loss. Inches and blood pressure is more important.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    thank you for this post, i have to learn that the scale is only one visual form of weight loss. Inches and blood pressure is more important.

Exactly, I'm not going to lie and say I don't care when the scale goes up. It still bothers me but I know better than to rely on it.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This info came at a great time (and was easy to understand!) The scale said I gained 3 pounds after a spike day and I was so disappointed. I thought there was no way I gained 3 pounds of fat after my meal. I guess I was right! 3 days later and I'm back under the weight I was before the spike day! Thanks for sharing!