WOW is all I can say!!!

Options
So I have been reading a lot about people trying SPAGHETTI SQUASH, and I have been hesitant to do so. I LOVE me some pasta, and have switched to whole grain since I've started on MFP. However, today I decided to try spaghetti squash on a whim. I did a quick google search and ended up with a general idea of how to cook it. It took me a while to split the dang thing in half, but once done and cleaned, I drizzled the halves with EVOO, salt, and pepper, and baked for 45 min at 400F. Once done, I let it cool a bit, used a fork to remove the 'noodles', and then my mom and dad tried a bite and said it was pretty good.
Well, I am a VERY picky eater. I don't like a lot of foods, but I am trying to branch out...so I put a couple tablespoons of spaghetti sauce on and decided to dig in....

AND IT WAS PRETTY GOOD!!! I saved the leftovers for tomorrow, but I am so excited that I actually enjoyed it and it was healthy!!!!

Everyone should give it a try :)

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    My very favorite food! I ate about two pounds of it for dinner. Absolutely delicious!
  • chicatita
    chicatita Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This makes me curious! Will try soon!
  • cassiejo84
    cassiejo84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That's so funny because I did the exact same thing! I had seen posts about it today and so on the way to work I picked up some ingredients...OMG it was delicious and I got so full! I made it with tomato sauce, mozz cheese, and black olives..it was sooo good!
  • clur85
    clur85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Can I ask, what is spaghetti squash? We don't get it in the UK. x
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I dont think we get it in Australia either and now I am really, REALLY curious lol
  • missalicia78
    Options

I dont think we get it in Australia either and now I am really, REALLY curious lol

Maybe it's just called something different? It's really good.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_squash
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Maybe it's just called something different? It's really good.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_squash

Nope - def dont get that here in Australia which is a real shame as I'd love to try it!
  • nickb86
    nickb86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can get it in the UK, although it's a long time since I've seen it in the shops. It is easy to grow from seed, but you need a lot of space! It is usually called spaghetti marrow here.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    my mom taught me this trick when needing to cut squash...put in microwave for 2 min and cut right away. Be careful it will be hot.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    bump
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options
    Wow, Thamk you I will have to try it now!!!!
  • debb1980
    Options
    I'm totally going to try that today. I hope my kids like it as well.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've been very curious as well..... think I will finally give it a try! Thanks :)
  • elizwelshman
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is my favorite!!
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It is good stuff; a bit difficult to prepare but well worth the time and effort.
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine here in Australia said she used to have this as a child, but has only seen it in shops once in 10 years! But you can buy seeds from Eden Seeds online, and grow them yourself.

As soon as I get a house, and a garden, i'm gonna try and grow some!
  • jkannon5001
    jkannon5001 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I roasted it the first time I cooked it (cutting it open and removing the seeds and then baking it), but it was SO much easier to just poke holes all over it and throw it in the oven....cutting it open after it was cooked was a lot easier. You just have to be careful to not burn yourself. A lot of people even prepare it completely in the microwave.
  • lizz11
    lizz11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    To save time I poke holes in it and throw it in the microwave for 10-15 mins. I usually set it in a shallow baking dish with about an inch of water.

Here's my favorite recipe:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/detail.aspx
  • mblanchard0625
    mblanchard0625 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    To save time I poke holes in it and throw it in the microwave for 10-15 mins. I usually set it in a shallow baking dish with about an inch of water.

Here's my favorite recipe:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/detail.aspx

My first time trying spaghetti Squash was with this recipe... REALLY yummy!