Coconut Oil

Options
So I've been reading up on this stuff and it looks really promising, http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
What do y'all think? Ever tried it? If so, how do you take it?

Replies

• missalicia78
    Options
    I haven't been using it long enough to notice a difference; I just purchased my first jar a few weeks ago. I use a tbsp. in my smoothie. I've also used it for popping corn which was pretty tasty. It's also really nice as a hand moisturizer, though I've only done that a few times since I don't want to stick my fingers in something I'm using for cooking. I purchased mine from Vitacost.com, got their brand, and it was really reasonably priced. I've heard that you should get the organic unrefined as opposed to refined as one is better for you than the other. I don't know why that is though.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I use Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, paid $12.50 for 16oz jar. I use it for skin;

Example, It also delays wrinkles, and sagging of skin which normally become prominent with age. Coconut oil also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections. Therefore coconut oil forms the basic ingredient of various body care products such as soaps, lotions, creams, etc., used for skin care. Coconut oil also helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to its antioxidant properties.

I also use it for my hair:

Example, Coconut oil is one of the best natural nutrition for hair. It helps in healthy growth of hair providing them a shiny complexion. Regular massage of the head with coconut oil ensures that your scalp is free of dandruff, lice, and lice eggs, even if your scalp is dry.

My wife is from the Philippines and they use coconut oil for many many things there as well..

My number one use for it is controlling eczema...
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of olive oil for cooking things like tofu (or chicken for my partner who eats meat - I'm veggie). Also for pop corn like someone else said
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for cooking for a year now. It handles high heat better than olive oil with out oxidisation.
    I have a separate container for using on skin as body lotion.
    I also add a teaspoon to my black coffee every morning. It is filling and has lots of nutritional benefits.
    There is a lot of info on the net if you choose to research.
    I'll never go back !
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It's amazing - I love it. Got into it when I first started my Paleo lifestyle. A tsp in a smoothie is great, also good for curries and all kinds of Asian cooking.
  • beckyskeens
    beckyskeens Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use it combined with olive oil to lightly pan fry tilapia, chicken, vegetables, in place of canola or other oils in baking, and so so delish in smoothies of every kind!
  • beccamorrisfifteen
    Options
    Great, thanks everyone! Looks like I'm gonna pop down to my local health food store tomorrow and start using it!