1200 Calorie Diet

Options
Hi Guys,

MFP suggests I go on a 1480 calorie diet to loose 2 lbs a week. I want to do a 1200 calorie diet to perhaps loose a little more. I have worked out meal choices I can live with. Is there a place I can change the settings to use 1200 as my daily intake for my current height and weight?

Replies

• bobnorris1
    Options
    Anyone know how to do this?
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    It isn't safe to try to lose more than 2 lbs a week, where 1-2 lbs weightloss is better. Instead of trying to lose more weight quickly, why don't you follow what MFP suggests for a few weeks and see how it works. AND, if you exercise, eat back most of your exercise calories............
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Lowering your calories and causing a larger deficit isn't always a way to lose weight faster. It can actually work the complete opposite and slow down weight loss. I say stick to the 1480 MFP gave you. Do it for a month and see how things go.
  • Kksd605
    Kksd605 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Go to "My Home" then the sub-menu "Goals". On that page you can "Change Goals" and set your calories, protein, fat, etc.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I think we would all like to reach our goals as fast as possible. Unfortunately that's just not practical. Eat sensibly, excersize, and you'll see results.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just learning how to eat foods you like and not too much of it is the key I think, not the calories. Recent studies even showed that loosing more at first was better then the slow, but I think the slow is still better as I am training myself to eat for food needs, not for other stuff. Good luck! do what you feel is best for you, you can find a study or opinion for anything you want.
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    Yes, do what Kksd605 said. If you can eat 1200 calories and you aren't feeling exhausted or sick or like you are starving yourself, then you're fine.

I lost about 3.5lbs per week, losing 55lbs in 12 weeks. I got my blood work done and I am in the best health of my life. I know this because of how I feel and because of actual blood work that checked my triglycerides, cholesterol, etc.

In other words, not sure where this "not healthy to lose more than 2lbs per week" business comes from. You can eat plenty of snacks and food to stay feeling good while maintaining very low calories. I am a 6'1, originally 240lb man and I was able to function just fine on 1,600 calories per day.
  • LilJenn510
    LilJenn510 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @Jid314 - When you lose more than 2lbs a week your body releases hormones that make you more hungry, usually resulting in giving up and putting on more weight than when you started! 2lbs is just the amount that isn't hard on your body to maintain.
  • dreamzvt
    Options
    I see that someone told you how to do it. That's good. Every one of us is different. I eat just below 1200 calories a day and try to keep my fat grams under 30 max. I eat all day long. I just make healthy food choices rather than a loaded cheeseburger with fries and then starve the rest of the day.

I rarely feel hungry, I have never once felt starved, I have never once felt sick...... I am losing at a good pace.

You know what is best for you by how your body reacts. I do what I feel is best for ME and I believe you will do what's best for you because none of us have your body or metabolism or live your life.

Best of luck to you :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    @Jid314 - When you lose more than 2lbs a week your body releases hormones that make you more hungry, usually resulting in giving up and putting on more weight than when you started! 2lbs is just the amount that isn't hard on your body to maintain.

More importantly than that.. one also loses muscle mass, bone/connective tissue, etc.etc. But hey, they tell themselves "I feel fine" as if they ever knew what it was like to really feel fine. The ignorance astounded me.