High Intensity Interval Training (Exercise)

Options
Hi, I have a currently unused old (1980's) Tunturi exercise bike, I'm 6' 5" and currently weigh 259lbs (18.5 stones) and have lost 67lbs (4.8stones) in 24 weeks - through eating smaller portion sizes and walking (currently able to do 6.5miles at a 14.5mins/mile speed) - I started going to the gym 3 times a week to do strength training 9 weeks ago.

I don't have a heart rate monitor.

Now to the question :-) I have been reading a lot about the benefits of high intensity interval training/exercise - and want to start integrating this form of exercise into my new lifestyle. I appreciate this is a little bit of a "how long is the piece of string" but what a sensible but impactful format for me to start off with, and what kind of goals would it be helpful to set myself/what could I helpfully aspire to?

Thank you in advance your tips and advice.

Replies

• scanderton
    scanderton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Step 1 invest in a HRM
    Step 2 use the HRM
    Step 3 start off with Low Intensity work to build your body and prepare for the demands of a higher intensity workout

There are all kinds of High Intensity type programs on the internet, but I truly suggest building your body gradually over the course of time. Remember you didn't put the weight on overnight, so to expect it to come off overnight is unrealistic, it takes time. If you invest the time properly and build slowly you will make a more permanent change and decrease your chances of getting hurt.
  • Ilisidi
    Ilisidi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • gj4man
    gj4man Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a currently unused old (1980's) Tunturi exercise bike, I'm 6' 5" and currently weigh 259lbs (18.5 stones)
    That honestly sounds like a recipe for disaster! :noway:
  • Ilisidi
    Ilisidi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    :-) I'll let you know how it works out - I appreciate it's not perfect, but at the moment I'm a big of the 80% of something halfways decent, rather than seeking a better/perfect solution, and the quest resulting in nothing getting done.

Let's face it I've got the fat to lose, perhaps when I'm close and not quite getting there perfect will matter more. :-)