Heart rate question......

Options
My husband started running with me and his heart rate gets REALLY high ..... he's in pretty good shape, he's a fire fighter. He used to play soccer and run allll the time. He has to do a phsyical every year for his job... very extensive physical.. running, lifting, etc.... and his HR is always a little elevated on that too..... the doctor has never said anything was wrong with it being that high.... he checked his resting HR today before he started running and it was 99.... then as soon as he stopped it was 192... Is that ok?? The highest mine gets is like 182 and I mean that's while I'm running HARD.... it usually stays around 160-170.... anyone else have this problem?? Should he go get checked out??

Replies

• amylillian
    amylillian Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it should be close to 220- your age.
    So if you're 20, your elevated heart rate should be sort of close to 200.

I think that as long as he doesn't have chest pain, lightheadedness, or shortness of breath, he'll be fine, though. If that happens when he is running though, he should go talk to his doctor.

Also, try to take really deep breaths, so you're not gasping for air, because that would elevate your heart rate.
  • Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    remember, the 220-age is only an average, some people can do higher and some can't, if his normal bp is normal, and he doesn't feel horribly bad while in this HR zone, then it's probably fine.

Would I check with my doctor just to be sure? Couldn't hurt, I probably would. But if the doctor said no problem, and his heart and Bloodpressure check out, I don't see an issue.
  • Philde04
    Options
    So the 220-age is the max your heart rate should be??
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    There is a recent discussion here on MFP you could read that is very helpful. There are discussions by some pretty smart people

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/51800-maximum-heart-rate
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    my peak HR is 180 or so and I'm 29. Varies person to person.
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think 99 sounds really high for a resting heart rate - but if he's being checked by a dr once a year they would catch it if it was a problem. My husband is a firefighter too.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    99 sitting down for 5 minutes or 99 right before he started?
  • TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    Options

Before he started as per the OP.

With that high of a resting heart rate, he's a smoker right? If not I'd say that's dramatically high.
  • Philde04
    Options

Before he started as per the OP.

With that high of a resting heart rate, he's a smoker right? If not I'd say that's dramatically high.

That's what it was right before he started and no he is not a smoker.