Fake sugars

Options
wriglucy
wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
So my mom is a registered dietitian, and had been telling me that those artificial sweeteners have been found to counter-act dieting. Even the sweeteners in Crystal Light and diet sodas. Has anyone else heard of this? Why would they make a difference?

Replies

• wriglucy
    Options
    So my mom is a registered dietitian, and had been telling me that those artificial sweeteners have been found to counter-act dieting. Even the sweeteners in Crystal Light and diet sodas. Has anyone else heard of this? Why would they make a difference?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I have heard this. The idea is that the super sweetness of the fake sugar, makes you crave more sweet. If you give up all sweets (and all sweeteners) for 2 weeks , and try an apple, it's amazingly sweet. I would assume the opposite is true. If you eat sweet stuff all the time, even if it's diet coke, you're going to crave more sweet.
  • heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that and I drink Crystal light all the time! Just the tea because the other stuff is to sweet for me.

I guess it is true there is nothing like water!:drinker:
  • wriglucy
    Options
    I found a website from the LA times that talks about artificial sweeteners. They do seem to make weightloss difficult.

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-sweetener17mar17,1,517680.story
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I recently went back to sugar after trying Splenda. It was making me feel sick and I did get more hungry. The only other thing I eat with fake sugar is Coke Zero but I feel fine after drinking it.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Sugar Twin and have recently moved to Splenda. Had to for medical reasons. I tend to crave sweets all the time anyway but I have a green tea with a packet of splenda and I'm good. I've been wanting to try Stevia.....anyone out there try it yet?
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have not tried stevia or xylitol but have been hearing amazing things about both, I belong to a natural cures group on myspace, and they swear by stevia. Also I heard one of the reasons fake sugars counteract dieting is because people tend to thing they can eat more of something else because they drank diet this or ate something with fake sugar in it. So they indulge more on something worse, b/c they feel it's okay after eating a fake sugar
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I was using splenda and the taste was starting to get to me, until I found splenda sugarblend with 1/2 sugar. It tasted much better than straight splenda. That after taste was started to get on my nerves. With this 1/2 blend I only use a teaspoon rather than a tbs. or more with the reg. splenda.
    p.s. splenda has brown sugar too that actually isn't half bad!
  • graybirchgram
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm pretty new here. I had posted once before this but must of done something wrong. I couldn't find it again.
    About the artificial sweeteners. I took a "hypnosis for weightloss" this past month and the one t hing she asked us to do in the beginning was to stop using it, especially in diet soda. My husband took it to heart and won't let me have any type of artificial sweetener. I was using splenda at home and drinking lots of diet soday. Now, 4 weeks later I am not having the cravings that I did have. It's really a bid difference. I'm not sure if it's from not using them, from the hypnosis or both. But it's great.
    I also have been diagnosed with fibro and on one of her info sheets it states that some beleive that fibromyalgia is actually aspertaine poisoning. Not sure yet how I feel about that since my pain and fatigue hasn't gotten better yet.
  • amy13vsr
    amy13vsr Posts: 1
    Options
    I completely agree about artificial sweeteners and craving sweets. I used to eat oatmeal every morning with 3 packets of splenda & fruit; put splenda in my coffee; eat light n fit yogurt with splenda in it, etc. I noticed that I would crave sugar all the time and whenever I would have something sweet, I'd just want more. I read that the artificial stuff messes your body up because it can't regulate how much sugar it's actually getting and therefore when you eat regular sugar, you eat more of it without your body registering the amount. Then one of my friends who's studying to be a nutritionist told me Splenda is one of the worst sweeteners you can use so I started reading about it and read that it can actual lead to weight gain, cause cancer, anxiety, etc. So after reading that article (http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page9.htm) I decided to stop using Splenda all together and try to avoid eating it in other foods, like yogurt. I now put about a tsp. of brown sugar in my oatmeal and I've noticed that I no longer crave sweets. Yeah there are calories in the brown sugar, but if it prevents me from eating cookies, candy and chocolate later on, it's actually saving me calories in the long run. Anyway, hope this helps :-)
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    You get into problems with anything sweetened with HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) too, because when you have glucose, or real sugar, it at least turns off the hunger signals, where fructose and other artificial sweeteners don't.

So when you're eating those artificially sweetened things (HFCS is popular in a surprising amount of manuactured foods, especially sodas) you still just feel hungrier and hungrier and keep eating more and more of them. Which, obviously, isn't conducive to dieting. :tongue: