Look Here! Read Me!! Please;)

Options
Posted this under another forum but it seems to have gotten lost.....
I have lost 30 pounds in the past year and I am very pleased with myself. I was actually down 5 more but with the holidays I put those 5 pounds back on. I've been bouncing around with a few pounds here and there, a little gain, a little loss. I finally put my scale away because I was getting so upset that all my hard work was doing nothing.
I opened up my diary so you can see what I eat. I try and eat the best that I can. Take in mind that the past few days have been a little draining emotionally..my dad is in the hospital undergoing tests so I haven't worked out and have had a few libations, lol!
When I DO workout..it's usually every day, 30-60 minutes, with a rest day here and there. I typically do a lot of cardio (Zumba, kickboxing, Pilates, running/walking, step workouts, etc) and burn on average 300-400 calories each time and sometimes more depending on the time and activity. I eat all my exercise calories back typically and I try to get withing 100 cals of my goal at least..sometimes over a few. I have a HRM so I know exactly how many calories I burn.
By doing this, keeping track of what I'm eating, eating more veggies/fruit and trying to cut out processed foods I find that my weight is not going down. I would love to lose between 5-10 more pounds and get more toned. I don't know whether to lower my calories (currently set at 1600) or raise them higher?? I do Spike days but don't even know if this is working for me..however I do enjoy it! laugh
I'm 30 years old, 5'5" and weight 138 pounds. Any advice, tips or whatever would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you adjusted your calorie in take? Might it be time to lower it a little bit?
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    There are a few things that may be holding you back:
    1. Your sodium intake. It seems a vast majority of what you've been eating is high in sodium and though are mostly drinking water it'd be over shadowed with the sodium (you'd retain water). I would recommend keeping an eye on your sodium intake.
    2. You're only doing cardio. I believe your body has adjusted to the workouts you're doing. Switch it up. Add some strength training and be sure you're getting something to eat after you do workout.
    3. Drink water. Yes, you do drink water, but you're also drinking a lot of caffeine (in the Starbucks coffees) and that's a dehydrator. Your muscles need water to recuperate.
    4. Don't eat back all exercise calories. Leave room for error. No HRM is 100% accurate and you may have eaten more than you think you have, even if you measure (food labels are often wrong). So, eat back 70% and leave room for a margin of error from the exercise or from your food intake.
    5. Cut back on the wine. I realize you're not having it that often, but they add up and they're also dehydrators.
    6. Easy on the condiments, it seems you're having them with many meals. Remember that they are high in sodium and processed carbs/sugars.

Hope that helps. All the best with your journey (:
  • OriginalWhatTheHelen
    Options
    There is a great book you might want to read: "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess". Also, refer to your binder!! :wink: Everything you need to know is right there, in black and white.
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    The binder...yes, I need to get that back out and read it! Thanks:)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Your profile and diary are not open, so I can't make any suggestions. It seems that another member already gave you intelligent options, so you have something to think about.

Good luck and congratulations for the good job done so far.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you adjusted your calorie in take? Might it be time to lower it a little bit?

This is NOT true.

She has only ten pounds to lose. 1600 is just about right - maybe even too low. Last thing she ahould do is lower her intake.

To the OP: How did you come to choose 130 as a goal weight?

Are you doing any weight training, or just cardio? You really need weight training. You are probably at a healthy weight for your body, and the rest is just shape. Take measurements, start weights and give it a month.

Your goal to lose should be set at "Lose 1/2 pound per week" and you need to eat all your exercise calories at this point. Try that for a month. It is going to be more about shape than weight at this point.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Posted this under another forum but it seems to have gotten lost.....
    I have lost 30 pounds in the past year and I am very pleased with myself. I was actually down 5 more but with the holidays I put those 5 pounds back on. I've been bouncing around with a few pounds here and there, a little gain, a little loss. I finally put my scale away because I was getting so upset that all my hard work was doing nothing.
    I opened up my diary so you can see what I eat. I try and eat the best that I can. Take in mind that the past few days have been a little draining emotionally..my dad is in the hospital undergoing tests so I haven't worked out and have had a few libations, lol!
    When I DO workout..it's usually every day, 30-60 minutes, with a rest day here and there. I typically do a lot of cardio (Zumba, kickboxing, Pilates, running/walking, step workouts, etc) and burn on average 300-400 calories each time and sometimes more depending on the time and activity. I eat all my exercise calories back typically and I try to get withing 100 cals of my goal at least..sometimes over a few. I have a HRM so I know exactly how many calories I burn.
    By doing this, keeping track of what I'm eating, eating more veggies/fruit and trying to cut out processed foods I find that my weight is not going down. I would love to lose between 5-10 more pounds and get more toned. I don't know whether to lower my calories (currently set at 1600) or raise them higher?? I do Spike days but don't even know if this is working for me..however I do enjoy it! laugh
    I'm 30 years old, 5'5" and weight 138 pounds. Any advice, tips or whatever would be greatly appreciated!
    Hit the weights. Cardio and diet only take off so much. Resistance training will raise your RMR which cardio and diet don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I opened my diary back up so criticism is welcome but please be nice.

Thank you cmriverside for saying that about my calorie goal. I was getting so confused. One minute I hear you should be eating more, then the next I should eat less. I believe a big culprit in my diet is the sodium. I don't really keep an eye on that and I love to salt. I love the taste and the feel of sprinkling it on my foods as I cook (lame I know)! Today I haven't added any salt to the foods I've prepared and I am using more spices and Mrs. Dash seasonings.

I do mostly cardio...okay only cardio. Any advice on doing weights at home. I only own hand weights (3lbs) and that's it. I don't have the time to go to a gym and don't have the money to buy a lot of equipment.

Why I chose 130...I don't really know, sounded like a good number, lol! I got down to 132 at one point and could tell I was much leaner and my stomach had really flattened. I figured 130 would lean me out even more. The main thing I really want is to tone up. My goal is set at 1/2 pound loss and I usually eat all my calories back..or try to be within 100 of my goal. Trust me, I'm not one of those girls that try and consume the lowest amount that they can and then cry that they aren't losing weight. I try to eat the healthiest that I can. I avoided the sodium issue because I liked it..but hopefully I'll start getting used to the natural taste of foods, lol!
    Thanks for taking your time! :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    You can do body-weight exercises, or use stuff around your house. Google is your friend on this one, there are tons of sites and videos.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Here is my personal opinion. I checked your macros for about 10 days back and I noticed that your fat is like 75-80g/day average which is aprox 40-45% from the total food income. Because you also keep your cabs up (normal level though) your ratios doesn't sound like something similar I've seen.
    Considering this I'd lower the fat to 20% for the next 2-4 weeks and increase the proteins and check the results.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    LOL, it's hard to be critical and nice in the same time. For me at least.
    You made me laugh.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options

This might be it. I'm 5'5" and 141. Mine is set to 1200.
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    I've been so busy focusing on calories that my fat gets too high. You would think they'd be about the same, but nope!
    andrejjorje you were nice! ;)
    I don't believe going back down to 1200 is right for me. I've noticed the more active you are the more calories you burn and the more fuel you need. A lot of people have had better weight loss upping their calorie goal.
    Maybe it's the cheese (high fat)..I love Provel cheese! Ugh, it's so high in sodium and fat that I may just have to give it up..or not have it as much as I do:cry: